Search Unity

*** New Unity Community Art Challenge starting soon! ***

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hey there everybody,

Some of you may know of the "old" art challenges we had here on the forum. These are going to make a comeback starting in March. As before, the Challenges will run for a month. I sure hope to see way more participate in the new Challenges so please start spreading the word via Twitter, Facebook etc (feel free to tweet this post/thread!). If you never heard of our Art Challenges, have a look at an example challenge here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-community-art-challenge-april-2015-chest-of-wonders.315469/

Please reply with thoughts, Challenge ideas or whatever else you wish to say. I will sticky this post for the time being.

PS: If you happen to be a plugin developer and you would like to Sponsor a Challenge simple send me a Private Message!

Rock on,

Thomas Pasieka

NomadKing, xenius, da_st and 6 others like this.
  2. HAWK12HT

HAWK12HT

Cool, looking forward to this.

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  3. overthere

overthere

I liked the format from last time, tight constraint on how you could make, but a theme that was open to lots of different interpretations.

4. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hey @overthere ! We will very much continue the way it used to be. There will be a "Theme" set and it's then open to every artist to come up with an interpretation. That's part of being a Game Artist ;) The restrictions may be a bit more "loose" this time around :)

overthere likes this.
  5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Thanks for keeping this going Thomas.
    I was interested in joining but was preoccupied with other tasks the last time it was running. Glad to see this coming back.

6. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Since I've started courses in game art, I'm very much looking forward to participating in a challenge! Maybe I'll go back to one of the old challenges first, just to try it out, but I'm definitely going to give this a try! I'm still working on that #chestofWonders :)

Good to see the free interpretation will come back as well!

Thanks for starting it up again, @Thomas Pasieka !

Spreading the word now :)

7. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@theANMATOR2b Well I hope to see you take part this time. Tell your friends about it as well!

@Sheriziya Thanks for spreading the word!

8. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

You're welcome :)

Currently I'm writing an article/blogpost about my favorite winners of previous challenges, going back to December 2014. I couldn't find the challenges before that, while the December 2014 challenge is listed as the fourth challenge. Are the other challenges still somewhere on the forum?

Have fun everyone!

9. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

If that's all you've found then that's very likely it :)

10. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Haha - might not add too much to the challenge, all my friends are programmers. :)
    But if cross forum decorum is allowed I will mirror post in the art communities when the challenge begins.

12. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Yes please, spread the word to other forums, friends, etc (anybody reading this please help spreading the word!).

Thomas Pasieka

13. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

For all interested, I created a #Slack Group for all Game Artists who are interested in joining (https://artofthegame.slack.com) If you would like to join, PM me with your email address.

Thomas Pasieka

14. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

This sounds cool, glad you're bringing this back, can't wait.

15. lorenzodom

lorenzodom

16. led2012

led2012

WOAH, this is good news! Can't wait to participate in the new challenge!
    Actually, I still haven't opened my winnings from the Doom Shroom contest :p I hope the vouchers won't expire. I still haven't claimed my Mesh materializer and Subsurface Scattering Shader. But I'm really enjoying my sketchfab Pro subscription :)
    Can't wait for this one to start

17. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hey Thomas - is signing up for the slack group required? I'd rather not have to sign up for another place to have to go - if I don't have to.

18. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@theANMATOR2b No that's not a requirement at all but a means for people to connect. Nobody is forced :)

For all current Maya LT 2016 users: Bonus Tools are now available! Check here: http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/stevenr/bonustools

CastleIsGreat likes this.
  19. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

About time this returned! Last time I tried to enter, I got slammed by school assignments... But now that I'm out of school, not anymore! Definitely look forward to entering one. :)

20. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

Maya LT bonus tools! thanks, I actually didn't notice those were released! Yay for non lame uv unwrapping LOL

21. IronDuke

IronDuke

How did I not notice this last month?:eek:
    All I can say is: AWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAAAHHH!!!:D:D:D
    Not sure if you noticed, Pasieka, but there was an unofficial art challenge run here a while ago and I submitted a spaceship. Regrettably, I was the only one.:oops: Probably because there weren't any prizes:rolleyes:
    I'm looking forward to these renewed challenges!:cool:

--IronDuke

P.S. This post meets all requirements for emoticon rainbows.:p

22. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@CastleIsGreat MayaLT has actually pretty great UV Tools! The Bonus tools are nice but don't seem to always work (seems like there are a few bugs to iron out yet).

@IronDuke No I didn't notice that challenge! Link?

Please keep spreading the word folks! I need your help in that regard :)

Thomas Pasieka

23. IronDuke

IronDuke

24. k1mset

k1mset

Enjoyed the challenges, even participated in a few. Look forward to future Art Challenges.

25. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

To make one thing clear, the future of the Challenges pretty much depends on YOUR participation. In other words, if there isn't enough interest/entries then I don't see a reason to drag this on. Again, spread the word guys and participate. Don't be a lurker! Taken part in this has many advantages if you think about it. For instance, you're effectively showing "enthusiasm" and create a portfolio piece to show potential clients. You could also set it up for sale on the Unity Asset Store and if you happen to win you even get some prizes!

Thomas Pasieka

26. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Here is the link to December 2014 entries :

https://sketchfab.com/tags/ucac4

But it did start in September actually , I know because I took part in the first comp ;)

here are november's entries :

https://sketchfab.com/tags/ucac-3

October was island theme , @NomadKing took first place here :

September :

https://sketchfab.com/tags/1990platformer

Great to see the art challenge making a come back !!

27. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Thanks @shaderbytes for the missing info! I'll see if I can update the article with these missing challenges :)

Have fun!

28. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Even though I was preoccupied with contract work and did not participate in the previous challenges, I really liked how they were structured. If there is any consideration about revising the new comps because of how the comps ran before - I think they were presented and structured very well.

Once the challenge is announced - I will disseminate the announcement to several digital and game artist related forums.

29. Daksmith

Daksmith

Well started off well in October but faded in December. Hopefully this time i could make a better meal of it again, something to do while i am struggling to find work.

30. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

The Challenge is going to start next week folks (March, 1st) !!!! I will announce the theme today/tomorrow....

Thomas

shaderbytes and overthere like this.
  31. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Excellent! Looking forward to it already :)

32. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Alright folks ... here we go! The first new theme for the upcoming Art Challenge starting on March, 1st is:

Theme: Awesome Kart

Challenge will start in about a week so get your brains "thinking"! As the theme implies, think of Mario Kart or similar games. Come up with your own unique "Kart". You can of course also go for a different style (perhaps more realistic?). It's really up to you! Be creative (that's part of the Challenge). Start sketching or tinkering! I will open a new thread on the 1st of next Month!

Prizes will also be announced on the starting day! :)

Thomas Pasieka

mancuso, da_st and overthere like this.
  33. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Oh, this is interesting! I've got an idea for a more realistic thing, probably :) My thinking cap is on ! And it's posted on Twitter :)

Is it okay to send this to Game colleges as well? Here in the Netherlands we've got a few colleges specialized (or with specialty majors) for Game design and art...... This could be interesting for Students as well :)

34. Ben-Mears

Ben-Mears

Great to see the art challenges starting up again and looking forward to seeing what everyone makes!

35. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hey Ben,

Great to have you here as well :) I've send you a private message!

Thomas Pasieka

36. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Great theme choice for the relaunch! I will give it a bash ;)

37. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

i hope you will be accepting unity models via probuilder. :)

38. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

What you use to model is up to you but understand that you have to be able to export your mesh as FBX/OBJ in order to get it onto Sketchfab (which is a requirement). Personally I suggest you go with Maya LT, Houdini Indie or even Blender.

Edit: Clean meshes, use of UV's and textures are all taken into consideration so using appropriate software and methods would be suggested.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Ben-Mears likes this.
  39. Teessider

Teessider

Awww nice! After moving country, it will be nice to get back into some personal art. What better way than an Art challenge? :D

Think I'll be joining this one...

40. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

We've got some pretty cool prizes coming up folks so better prepare yourselves and show what you can do! Spread the word to all your art friends! Would love to see lots and lots of folks participate!

hippocoder and Teessider like this.
  41. essimoon2

essimoon2

Great topic, Thomas! Glad to see the challenges returning, hope for lots of participants! :D

42. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

I'm already looking forward to what you can come up with, Essimoon!

Already collecting ideas for a kart.....ideas for textures, look, etc :)

43. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Keep spreading the word folks! If we want to make this cooler and better (and get more prizes) we will really have to get everybody participating! :) I got a very cool line up of sponsors this time and I greatly appreciate that. Hope everybody here does as well!

Thomas Pasieka

overthere likes this.
  44. NomadKing

NomadKing

Well, well, well... what do we have here then!

Sounds like good news to me :)

45. essimoon2

essimoon2

Yay, more participants! Keep them coming! :3

46. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I've picked up contract work since my last post - so it's highly unlikely that I will be participating. However Monday I'll re-post the official thread around to get some additional attention to the contest.
    Good luck to all -

47. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Luck doesn't seem to be with. My computers motherboard crashed two days ago. All I can do now is hope for the best and hopefully it's replaced in a week or so. I've only got my phone now, but I'll spread the word wherever I can