Search Unity

New Tutorial on Building An Interactive Daydream Controller Based App From Scratch

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by samKeene, Jan 3, 2017.

1. samKeene

samKeene

Hey everyone,
    I've just posted a new tutorial on building a fully functioning Daydream controller based app from scratch. In the tut I cover some of the new SDK (1.0+) components and show how they can be used to create an "arm model" (the controller moves naturally as if it were attached to your arm), a "body model" (the controller stays to your side even when you rotate your head), interactivity and teleportation around the scene. Check it out over at SDK Boy: http://www.sdkboy.com/2016/12/building-daydream-controller-based-app-scratch/
    I hope you find it useful!

duncangroberts, tnydwrds and thep3000 like this.
  2. duncangroberts

duncangroberts

This is really great. Sam's work here has asked me to develop my first daydream app, actually first ever app!

3. harry0san

harry0san

hey, I followed this tutorial and for some reason, it seems that the controller isn't being registered by the event system or the event triggers on the cube... ie the cube never changes colors and clicking doesn't teleport the player or the cube. i can see the model and the controller in the game and it shows it as clicking and pointing.

any help would be appreciated.

4. dsternfeld

dsternfeld

Official Google Employee

Hello!

This tutorial is a little bit out of date, which is the reason you ran into this issue. Instead of following the instructions in the section "Event System", try adding the prefab GvrEventSystem to your scene. I believe you are running into this issue because the script GvrPointerManager is missing. It used to be on GvrViewerMain, but it no longer is. The new prefab GvrEventSystem includes the scripts EventSystem, GvrPointerInputModule, and GvrPointerManager all together so that you don't need to do as much manual setup anymore.

Thanks,

Dan

5. Captain-Awesome

Captain-Awesome

Great tutorials Sam!!

I got that one working on my phone without any trouble, but I cheated a little and just downloaded the finished example project. :)