Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Unity, have several questions.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ElectricCrow, Sep 9, 2012.

1. ElectricCrow

ElectricCrow

Ok,
    so I have never created a game before in my life. I'm not a programmer beyond HTML in the 90's. I'm a Photoshop Graphics guy.
    I have some questions if I may.

#1. The assets from the asset store, are they useable in a commercial game?
    #2. When creating a game level, if I want to have multiple towns or dungeons etc, how do I connect them in game?
    #3. Aside from the asset store, where else might I look for usable models, environments etc?
    #4. When buying assets, they obviously come in different poly counts and detail, how do I know I can use them all in the same game, say for mobile use?
    #5. I'm creating a very different RPG game set in the Fantasy era, what other things should I consider in the development? Assets to look at, scripts etc?
    #6. Can a game be written in any code? My tutorials now are in JAvascript but I see lots of references to C++ etc.

2. renman3000

renman3000

1. Yes.
    2. Very complicated question for a newb. What do you mean by "connect"?
    3. Nowhere (?)
    4. For mobile you really want to optimize. I would ask the makers of said asset and ask in the forums if an asset is mobile friendly.
    5. I am a 2D platformer guy. Sorry.
    6. Unity is compatible with JS (US), C# and Boo. I would choose only one for a project tho.

My advice is to learn basics before you purchase anything. I spent a year learning full time before I began to develop my first title (Temple Racer for the iOS), shameless plug.

3. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Yeah I wouldn't go buying or even thinking about assets just yet. You can get by with coloured spheres for the time being until you know you can commit and pull off you final game, otherwise you'll just end up waisting your cash.

If you like C++ I'd suggest using C# scripts. I was a C++ programmer a year ago but now I like C# better. :)

Another play to get assets: There are a number of web sites that allow artists to upload any models they like. You can then go and purchase them or a set of them for a fixed fee like the Asset Store. Some of these sites are even free, but be sure to read the terms and conditions. The only catch is you'll need a tool like Maya, 3DS Max or Blender to convert those models to .fbx files for Unity to use.

But I've saved my best advice for last: Start with something small!!!!

A big RPG is exactly what you don't want to make first. Start with something small that you know very well, like a game of asteroids or something. It's very simple and you have an obvious end goal in mind. There is little to no chance of feature creep. It will teach you a lot of valuable Unity lessons before doing something bigger. Especially if you try and get that asteroids game to run on mobile, it'll force you to think about mobile performance, input, game and menu flow, loading times, etc, etc. All that stuff that people forget about before making a game.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. Jaimi

Jaimi

2. You can create a whole world, and put them all on it in different spots, or you can make each one a scene, and then just load different scenes to move from town to town. Or a combination of the two.
    3. Dexsoft-games, arteria3d, turbosquid, etc.
    5. Look at ORK (okashi rpg kit), and slegliks RPG kit for a good start on RPG's.

http://rpg-kit.com
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/95215-New-RPG-kit

6. Recommend using C#. Here's a bunch of tutorials to create an RPG in C#:

http://www.burgzergarcade.com/hack-slash-rpg-unity3d-game-engine-tutorial

5. i3DTutorials

i3DTutorials

You've never made a game before; and you want your first game to be an RPG? Really?

Bring your scope down and do something realistic.

6. Batzarro

Batzarro

5. I hope the fact that it's set in a fantasy era isn't what's "very different" about the RPG, and G stands for game so saying "RPG game" is redundant...

Joking, only pulling your leg man! There are many ways to learn Unity, there's quite a lot of books on it, like Unity 3.x Game Development by Example Beginner's Guide looks quite good. There's also video tutorials, like the ones at Walker Boys Studio, even though the audio seems very low in some of them.

6. Most tutorials for Unity use JavaScript, though C# and Boo can also be used. But when I say JavaScript, I actually mean UnityScript, it's a little different from normal JavaScript. It's also sometimes referred to as "JavaScript for Unity". I don't think using Unity has much to do with C++, perhaps you meant C# (sharp), I'm no expert on the matter though.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012