Search Unity

New to Programming

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by CapnCrunch92, Aug 20, 2017.

1. CapnCrunch92

CapnCrunch92

Hello all!

So I'm new to programming and I don't quite know how to convey my question(s) simply. I've been working a small bit with learning c++ as I've seen that it's got some great potential with a rather steep learning curve. I originally wanted to learn programming to try to make some indie games for mobile devices(android or iOS) but I'm still kind of in the dark as to where to really even begin.

I've noticed in tutorials for Unity that it uses c#. So is this where I should start instead of c++?

2. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

If you want to learn unity yes you should start with C#. 99% of what you will do in unity will be C#, you will only need C++ if you are writing native plugins for a platform and just starting off you will never be in a situation where you need to do that.

Also C# should be a lot easier as a starting langauge for you, and your skills learned in it will carry over to other languages as well.

You should look at the Unity's Learn section for some simple stuff to start on.

3. JohnDix

JohnDix

I am also new in this section.I have little knowledge about that.

4. CapnCrunch92

CapnCrunch92

Little knowledge about what exactly? I've been checking out that Learn section of Unity's website and I've actually found it to be quite helpful. If at least for learning the concepts so far. What I'm trying to learn is where to start and which language(s) would be most beneficial to learn initially and be able to create a project and actually SEE my project come to life from basically scratch.

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Unity's learn section.

Unity only supports C#. So start there.

6. pKallv

pKallv

My recommendation is to do what i did when i decided that I could create a game, in XCODE; and earn millions!

1) Bought the book Objective-C for dummies
    2) Decided to do everything manually and not change page until i understood, not knew. This way i somewhat knew where to look and the fundamentals
    3) Bought a book iPhone development for dummies and did the same thing
    4) Decided to create a quiz game, not too complicated (i thought)
    5) Had hell doing in, rewrote it four times, but learned. Used StackExchange and other forums
    6) Published my first game

...when starting with Unity i did already understand the fundamentals.

If you would do the same thing with Unity there are tons of tutorials and books, however i would recommend starting with C#. I started 2012.

That worked for me and i sold quite a few games, still do.