Search Unity

Official New Post-processing Stack (Pre-Release)

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by Chman, Oct 10, 2016.

1. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Unless Unity have some magic solution that I haven't thought of, it's really really hard to make an effect just "plug-in" to a PostFX stack that has no idea what the effect might be.
    You might be able to add in a few generic "entry-points" in the combine function, ie:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if PLUGIN_EFFECT_ONE
    2. ApplyEffectOne(currentColor, uv)
    3. #endif
    5. #if PLUGIN_EFFECT_TWO
    6. ApplyEffectTwo(currentColor, uv)
    7. #endif
    8. etc...
    And then make an easy way to get the Uber-Material used by the Post-Processing stack so that you could set the right textures and relevant includes... But all in all, it wouldn't be "easy", you would get to a point where you hit the sampler limit in the main pass anyway, you'd also start to hit compile time issues with more shader keywords used, and there'd be no nice way that I can think of currently to know what entry point other plugins are using.
    Honestly, if you want to add effects to the PostFX stack, you should really just learn shaderlab and add them yourself if you need them.

Hope that Unity can correct me though, as that'd mean I'd also be able to implement any such feature into my own post-processing stack, PRISM!

2. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Ok, this is a known bug we have to fix (don't mind the error message displayed in the first post, it's unrelated).
    We're working on a solution to allow for custom and external user effects to work well.

3. Orion_Reed

Orion_Reed

We'll definitely need some way of inserting effects at specific points, because it's incredibly important to have post-processing effects in the right order, and many will want to replace these effects with others, e.g a store bought motion blur or AO solution.

4. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Will be excited to see how this works!

5. Orion_Reed

Orion_Reed

Awesome! The whole Unity team seems to really be pulling themselves together this last year, I hope things continue to accelerate!

ZoneOfTanks likes this.
  6. BitCake-Studio

BitCake-Studio

Hey guys,

The last build is from October, do you guys have a newer build available for testing?

7. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

8. BitCake-Studio

BitCake-Studio

Thanks Jacob I got it working :)

Hey guys, sorry if this has been posted

I'm getting weird auras on my characters when combining DoF with TAA (image 1) but when I switch to FAAA it's ALMOST gone (it's there but it's a bit more subtle). Would this be considered a bug or just a side effect of TAA?

9. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

You can do what @JacobSmaga suggested, the master branch should be pretty stable by now. With that said, we intend to push a new pre-built package soon.
    DOF & TAA at the same time can be hard to get right (TAA itself is a never-ending source of problems) :) It's not a bug per-say but a limitation of the current technique. We're still working on improving it while keeping the performance cost to a minimal. In case you're wondering, using a medium kernel size DOF currently takes 1.3ms to render and TAA 0.9ms (both on PS4 @ 1080p, on a good PC it takes a fraction of a millisecond to do both).

10. wynott

wynott

I'm using Oculus for an architectural tour type experience. Would really like to use post processing for obvious reasons.

Having an issue with Suimono water.

When the Post Processing Behaviour is added to the center eye anchor, the water only renders in the right eye. Both eyes otherwise look correct.

Layer culling seems to be set OK.

Everything else seems to be working correctly.

Has anyone experienced this or have any obvious things for me to check?

11. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

What is the 'center eye anchor'? What does your camera setup look like? Which effects are enabled in the stack?

12. wynott

wynott

The center eye anchor is part of the Oculus camera rig, so it follows the tracked position of the HMD. It's part of the Oculus tools, which I'm using basically unchanged... The center eye anchor is the camera itself. I believe it to be a "normal" camera that's a child to the tracking space parent. Is that specific enough? I'm not sure how to answer.

The problem arises even with no effects enabled in the stack. If the Post Processing Behaviour is active, then the water disappears from the left eye.

13. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

@Chman i'm keep getting this glitch with SSR in 5.6 beta latest

Dynamic GI, and directional light intensity 2 or above 1.1

edit :
    why i always getting problem attaching images in unity forum sigh -_-
    http://imgur.com/JVuQxei

14. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

thesting it in VR, i found that Screen Space Reflections and VR (HTC) show different reflection in each eye.

I understand that each eye is a bit separate but hoping if any solution for that!? thanks

15. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

SSR isn't compatible with VR right now. We're working on making SSR better and faster first, VR support will come once it's done :)

16. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

Thanks Chman!

17. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

18. wilberforce

wilberforce

19. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

In 2.0 (been worked on as we speak, not public yet) :)

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, Not sure if you're going to support the settings from the original package. But I think that fog should be covered better in the new stack. In the old standard assets. you were able to change a variety of settings with fog. Making it soooo much nicer to tailor to your game. I guess my question is. Will you be giving the same coverage with fog in this stack.

EDIT:
    How do i disable the visual effects in editor. I have to contiually turn off fog when in editor to see things right and it becomes a very tedious task when you have done it like 100 times

Also forgot to mention. The is awesome. Thanks guys. You really have centralized the system.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2017
  21. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

In Chromatica there was support for Depth LUT and LUT Volumes, Are there any plans on the roadmap to make these available in the post processing stack?

"Depth LUT support ! You can now use a dual-LUT setup to vary the color grading according to a pixel's distance from the camera. The depth interpolation can be manipulated with a blending curve.

LUT Volumes ! Chromatica can now automatically blend between LUTs as the player goes through volumes & zones in your scene."

22. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

That's the goal. We had to put a minimal fog implementation in the stack in the meantime.
    It's currently not on our roadmap. The problem with a feature like this is that it makes color grading depth-dependent, which means it'll only work on opaque objects (so no particles, not transparent etc).

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I tend to code the particle shaders to just use the same curve per vertex, so far it's worked fine... I guess with good documentation adding these things ourselves cannot be hard.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  24. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

didn't keijiro already have a good blend to skybox fog implementation, maybe it can be included too or even better via skybox mip ala Uncharted style :D

25. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thanks for 1.0 guys. Love these effects!

After reopening Unity a few hours later the Console ws being flooded with this error:

Also getting this error even when disabled:

So the bloom is not working now.

Edit- I did reimport the folder when this first happened. I closed and opened Unity and reimported the folder again and it is working now!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  26. alexandre-chambriat

alexandre-chambriat

I have a mesh with custom CG shader, it's affected by other postprocess but not those one, tried changing render queue without luck, is there something special to add in custom shader in order to support the new post processing stack ?

Ok it works with CG surface shader.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  27. ArthurT

ArthurT

Awesome, looks like version 1.0 also hit the asset store. Glad to see it reaching a 'final version' release!

chelnok and hopeful like this.
  28. Crossway

Crossway

I was using old cinematic effects but after I downloaded this new Post processing stack I mentioned "Contrast Gain" removed from color grading!!? Why? I really need this option please add this again :(

29. TimNedvyga

TimNedvyga

I have troubles with PPS in Unity 5.6 beta

bloom, eye adaptation and other effects(except AO) do not take effect in scene view.

30. exploitedtaken

exploitedtaken

Sorry but, why is that fog here? It wont let me change any settings in lighting window etc. I have custom fog script and and can't use right now..
    upload_2017-3-3_15-16-11.png

31. Kink3d

Kink3d

Most effects are currently non-functional in the scene view in 5.6. Were looking in to a fix for this.

We had a discussion and agreed that this isn't a great solution right now. Expect a fix within the next few days (Asset Store approval dependent).

32. Lex4art

Lex4art

Seems there is a conflict between Post-processing stack and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion script from standard effects:
    StandardSSAOdisabled.png StandardSSAOenabled.png
    Also, seems that *all?* standard post effects won't work in Scene view.
    Unity 5.5.2 (same for 5.5.1), deferred + linear, MSAA disabled, video card is GTX1070 with latest drivers.

Project files if needed (40MB).

33. chingwa

chingwa

Wait a sec.. you mean even Unity has to go through Asset Store approval times??? Such Egalitarian!

crudeMe, wetcircuit and hopeful like this.
  34. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

My settings for post processing stack (Attached to this post)

www.GIFCreator.me_QDfPvb.gif

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  35. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the repro project! This is directly related to this issue.
    That's probably because they haven't been updated to work in the scene view. For what it's worth, the image effects in Standard Assets are being deprecated. They're very old, limited, and quite slow. They'll still be available as a legacy package on the Asset Store just in case, but they're not supported anymore.
    Indeed we do! Serves as a double-check for any last-minute mistake ;)
    Looks nice! You should probably tone down the chromatic aberration though, it's a bit... Too much :)

Baldinoboy likes this.
  36. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

The two effects I have to use the standard effects for are Height Fog and Sunshafts. I know volumetric lighting would take care of both but between performance and actually having one working I rather use the more simple effects. Hope Height Fog at least could make it to an updated image effect.

37. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

You'll still be able to use them by grabbing the legacy image effects package. But yes, we do have a few projects (short & long term) for fog and related effects.

Edit: note that you can add this attribute to an image effect to make it work in the sceneview.

38. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Night mode:
    www.GIFCreator.me_ud8X2e.gif

39. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thanks man. Not worried about scene view. As long as it works in game. Thanks again for this effect pack. Definitely one of the best assets I have seen Unity release in a while.

40. Rycons

Rycons

I have a problem using TAA from Post Processing Stack 1.0

When I change resolution and disable TAA or even switch to FXAA from the stack it stretches the image.
    My only solution for fixing this is to destroy the camera from the scene and recreate it when a change in resolution is done but obviously that is not ideal.

Is this a known issue? I reproduced this on a fresh project using unity 5.5.1p3.

TAA enabled at original run-time resolution:

TAA disabled and changed resolution at run-time:

41. pleribus77

pleribus77

Getting black box flashes when I'm using post processing while working with a custom shader. When bloom enabled they are wrapped in a glow (as shown) Bloom disabled, and they are just black boxes.

The shader in question is doing multiple passes in forward, so assume it's something to do with this. Any insights as to what these are (in terms of error) and what they would be caused by?

They flash up for a single frame, and seemingly only in particular areas, so at this point assume it's very much to do with light and my multiple passes perhaps compounding color values?

Using FXAA, Bloom, Color Grading, Grain and Depth of Field.

Screenshot 2017-03-06 16.03.37.png

42. dahualuo

dahualuo

upload_2017-3-7_16-34-9.png
    Why do I have a problem Cannot be used properly?
    Ambient Occlusion and Screen Space Reflection!
    If have know the trouble tell me thank you!!!

43. vertgreenheart

vertgreenheart

I always get this everytime I turn on the Bloom, Fog, DoF, Eye Adaptation, Color Grading, LUT, Chromatic Aberration, and Vignetting. And my screen turns pink

Any help on this ?
    I'm using Unity 5.5.0f3

44. flashframe

flashframe

@Chman Hi! We love the post processing stack, and I'm currently switching everything over from your Colorful FX asset (which is awesome too, but the stack means 1 draw call and 1 component so seems like a good change).

One thing that I need to replicate functionality wise is animating properties at runtime to smoothly change the look as the player advances across a level.

The LUT has a "contribution" field which allows a blend in and out, but what would be great is to be able to blend between multiple LUTs. I'm presuming that I can't just hack the source and add more than one LUT to the Profile?
    Do you have any advice on how to approach "crossfading" an LUT like this, or is it just impossible?

Also, it'd be great to have the same "contribution/intensity" slider for the Color Grading effect. Sometimes I just want to dial the look back slightly and it'd be so much easier to use a contribution slider rather than having to adjust every field individually.

45. TwiiK

TwiiK

Just tried this in an arch viz project where I was experimenting with Paroxe Bloom / Sonic Ether Bloom, Paroxe Eye Adaptation and SSAO Pro and I feel like I had one of those "it just works" moments that used to be Unity's thing a long time ago. :p It looks just as good and runs better than what I had so I just deleted all those other assets. I'll try it in different projects to see how it behaves in different scenarios. I'm all about built-in solutions if they work well, less assets means less hassle, and it makes it so much easier to make projects that you want to share for free.

I jump between projects, setups and assets all the time so I can't really compare everything in detail, but the bloom looks amazing and that was the thing I was fiddling the most with in this project. I was unable to get Sonic Ether's bloom to look the way I wanted, but this bloom easily matches Paroxe's bloom, it has much less features and settings than Paroxe's bloom, but the few settings it has seems to be enough to get a solid looking bloom.

The SSAO on the other hand isn't as detailed as I would like. SSAO Pro is able to give me detail which is so fine that I get ambient occlusion in between the floor boards of my wooden floor texture. This SSAO doesn't come close to that, I'm only able to get the dirty corners look with this asset. :p

Also, about eye adaption, is it not possible in video games to get an eye adaptation that behaves more realistically? Either that or I'm using it completely wrong. I want it so that if I stare at the sun everything else becomes darker, but with this asset and Paroxe's asset the opposite seems to happen, i.e. the sun gets brighter. It's like that in every game I've tried as well though. It just doesn't feel natural. I want a subtle, natural effect that occurs over a long period of time. Eye adaption in games is also usually way too extreme, and this asset is no exception with the default values, but I may be able to tweak it with some fiddling around.

I haven't really got the experience needed with any of the other effects to be able to comment on them, but so far I'd say that this looks really solid.

chelnok, Baldinoboy and chingwa like this.
  46. chingwa

chingwa

I have yet to see an EyeAdaptation effect that works the way it should. Crazy.

hippocoder likes this.
  47. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Eye adaption should be combined with Filmic tonemapper and bloom effect

48. TwiiK

TwiiK

I may not have tested this very thoroughly. The bloom wobbles a lot when you move the camera. No other bloom asset I use does this, they are all stable. This is reproducible by importing the asset directly from the asset store, adding a first person character controller so you're easily able to look around and then hitting play.

I'm using linear, hdr, deferred. Will try with different settings as well.

Edit: Tried all variations I could, but it still wobbles.

Here's an example: https://gfycat.com/WeepyUnhealthyAngwantibo

The massive compression doesn't help, but the wobbling is still visible imo. It almost looks like the bloom follows a very course grid and jumps between squares in that grid as you move, or something like that.

Edit2: This is maybe less compressed:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  49. ivanmotta

ivanmotta

Hey guys! Having some trouble after upgrading to 5.6 and postfx 1.0:
    1) TAA goes nuts with camera fov and position changes, making all transparent objects offset to crazy positions (just stock particle and standard transparent shaders). With "normal" AA, everything is fine.
    2) Can't make any LUT file to work. Seems like LSD in a file.
    I'll see time to take screenshots next week.
    Regards from Brazil!

50. TwiiK

TwiiK

Update: The wobble is only when the camera moves, the object making the bloom can move fine without any wobble. Here's an example from a sunrise I'm working on:

Also, is it possible to make the actual object blooming show up brighter than the surrounding glow? Is that something I can change with color grading or something? You're unable to see that there's an actual sun disc in my sunrise now which I'm unsure whether or not I like. I want the glow to be big, but I want the outline of the glowing object to be visible.

Lex4art likes this.