Search Unity

New 2K PBR Materials/Substances Line - Desert Facility Pack + Questions About Selling!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CaliCoastReplay, Mar 26, 2017.

1. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

Hello all - first-time Unity store developer here! After several years of not being able to pick up the Unity editor, I finally got the hang of it last year and my "test scene" quickly expanded into a materials/substances pack that I'm looking to list and sell on the Store very soon (hopefully this month if possible)! The recent growth in both Unity and its developer base are astonishing and I'd very much like to learn to ride this wave!

I'm intending to introduce a full line of 2K, physically based textures and substance packs over the next year. The first pack will be the 2K Desert Facility - lots of metal walls, construction site materials such as bricks and diamond plate and girders, concrete sidewalks, as well as sand and rock and gravel for outdoor views - about 20 materials/substances/textures in total. It features a bright, reflective, clean look heavily inspired by JRPGs, but will be suitable for just about anything you want to use it for!

However, as a first-time developer, this post is as much about asking questions about best practices and what users are looking for as it is for advertising and promotion.

Here are some screenshots of the pack's assets in a full Unity scene made entirely of primitives, terrain, and speedtrees:

All the textures and substances are professionally made in Substance Designer and Filter Forge, and maintain visual fidelity up into very close range.

So here are the questions I have for the community and Unity moderators before my submission:

1) Unlike a lot of texture packs, I'd like to release each pack *with* the scene it was developed with. I feel that it provides both "starter stage" content that might be useful to some developers, and that developing the stage helps to provide an integrated look and consistency that improves the overall quality of the pack. But this presents a problem - a lot of my materials within the scene are not tiled at 1 to 1 ratios anymore, and then the material preview on the Unity Store will look awful. :( How can I resolve this? Will I have to allow the pack to contain multiples of each material/substance in order to give users a substantive preview of what they look like?

2) The pack features both traditional materials and .sbsar substances - but on the Unity Store, those are in different categories. As a texture/environment artist, it's getting increasingly hard to pretend that Substance Designer isn't the cutting edge and wave of the future. But the substances category doesn't really have very much in it yet, and I can't help but feel that would affect sales greatly if it gets put in there. Alternately, if it gets listed in the materials category - it doesn't really fit into any of the categories listed there very well either, since it's a "combo pack" meant to start a stage. However, because it's primitives-only, it also doesn't really fit into the environments category under 3d models. So what category would this best be listed in, and how should I submit it?

3) Based on the screenshots so far - does the community here think this is sufficient quality for release? If not, where does it not measure up and/or what is it lacking? Also, how much should a pack like this be priced for? I'd like to release it somewhere between $5-10, but some of the top sellers on the materials category are literally priced so low ($1-3) that I feel like I can't match those prices without making it not worth it to develop - and I have been having the time of my life working on this, and would really like to continue to do it for years to come.

Thanks so much for your time and responses! I'm really hoping to become a part of the Unity developer community!

2. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

Hmmmm, one thing I do notice is that SpeedTrees can't be included in a submission pack, even though they're part of the Standard Assets, the license does prevent redistribution. Right?

Shame! They really brightened up the outdoor views.