Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

NetworkManager access help

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Bigbeef, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Bigbeef

Bigbeef

I'm trying to create a script that searches for any active games on the LAN, and if there isn't any, to start the game as a Host, and if there is one, to start the game as a client and connect to that host, to make it a lot faster/easier to start up and connect to a LAN game.

My issue is that most of the functionality I seem to need is in the NetworkManager class, but I can't access any of it.

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Networking.NetworkManager.html

A lot of tutorials do things like NetworkManager.singleton.StopClient(); but I can't do that. My NetworkManager doesn't have a singleton member. I can't access any of the NetworkManager functionality.

Basically, if I type: NetworkBehavior.singleton

it says NetworkBehavior does not contain member called singleton

What am I missing? How come other people can access NetworkManager in scripts and I can't?

I feel like a complete noob, this is such basic stuff, but I've never had this issue before. Normally I just look at the documentation, add the required headers and code away. Not sure what the issue is here, any help would be nice.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. Bigbeef

Bigbeef

We discovered the issue. A few months back I had added a script from an import package that I never used. The script was named NetworkManager. It was a name collision issue. Sorry for the dumb question lol.