Search Unity

NetViewID question

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Deleted User, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok sorry if yall are geting tired of hearing this, but correct me if im wrong but the only thing keeping one making a dedicated server in its own lil unity project was the net id right? well just messing around I made a Server Project on my laptop and a client on my desktop my lap top was able to recieve the msg even though it was seperate projects could some one please elaborate one this? Does it become a problem when more than 1 rpc is goin on?

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

distinct projects will not work nicely with unity networking.

RPC for example is completely impossible.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Then how did it work? Granted that the rpcs functions in either project was the same word for word, but still if its imposible even that shouldnt work. I guess i should try more than 1 rpc function. Im not intirely disagreing with you Dream, but so far its looking good, theres a few other test im gonna do tommorrow such as geting players moving around, and if i ever get that damn mount script working get multi players driving and riding then ill have the starts of a BF 2142 clone just far simpler and smaller lol

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

my tests with rpcs worked partially but failed on others completely ...
    they worked in cases where the object was 1:1 identical basically.

a bf 2142 clone is no simple task. especially you need to ensure to do the networking right. relying on physics and worse on transform sync will get you into serious trouble

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

By no meens was i saying its easy but im bound and determined to make it work with just standard. so far its looking good, but it doesnt meen im not gonna hit a block wall goin at a 100 :p. Im gonna do more testing later and tommmorrow.

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

thats clear :)

didn't want to imply you were thinking its easy :)

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

lil off Topic but aint you from the realmcrafter forums to Dream.

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

OT: its the same me, but I'm active in various places and this one has become kind of my primary place :) this here is a great place to be

back to topic: looking forward o hear about your progress and efforts

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

lol aye better than rc :p your favorite person that allways complains about it, but any way back on topic.

Network.Instatiate it says to use playerPrefab...do i have to name the prefab that or can i name it NetworkPlayer or PlayerCharacter or something like that?

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

you specify the prefab to use in the command.
    normally you specify it through a public var where you dragged the prefab in or through loading it from the Resources folder.

If you have not done that yet, give the network example an indepth go before you continue.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

i have infact thats how i found out how to read the rpc that sent a string, and now the one that im looking at for movement

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

ah ok :) prefabs etc are shown there too on the spawner object for example

also interesting is the network zero to hero tutorial from the first uniknowledge competition

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

hell if i get my "Unity Net Dedicated server going, just trhough in mysql support and have a mmo up to what rc can do maybe better