Search Unity

Need your opinion on this UI

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by akashkhatkale, Aug 5, 2017.

1. akashkhatkale

akashkhatkale

Hey
    I need your opinion on this isometric game UI ?
    1st image is menu ui
    2nd image is info ui
    3rd image is game over ui

Attached Files:

• uis2.png
      uis2.png
      File size:
      279.2 KB
      Views:
    Mauri likes this.
  2. TonyLi

TonyLi

It's very clean, with good use of white space.

I assume the thin vertical lines are a rain effect. Is that correct? What is its purpose?

Your UI makes the purpose of most of the buttons very clear, but I can't figure out what a couple of the buttons mean. What does the gift box in the 1st image do? What about the bars in the 3rd image?

My main suggestion is to add a "hook" -- something that immediately catches the player's attention and imagination, and ties into the game's overall theme. Without a hook, the UI looks nice but it doesn't draw me in.

Billy4184 likes this.
  3. akashkhatkale

akashkhatkale

Hey thanks for your reply.
    Yes they are rains. It rains in the game. It's added to give extra polish to the game.

Gift box means daily rewards. And sorry i have forgot to mention, the dark blue bar in the third image is where i put my characters shop.

Wha type of hook you are speaking? Can you be more clear? :)

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Why does it rain? How does rain tie into the story, theme, or atmosphere? Juice is important, but it should tie into the game itself somehow.

What makes the game unique? What makes the player think, "I want to figure out how to use that cool, unique grappling hook mechanic," or "I want to see if I can get these cute little animals across the busy street," or "I want to do this as meditation, like the feeling of pruning a real bonsai tree"? Your UI should convey this to the player at a glance.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. Billy4184

Billy4184

Agree with @TonyLi, looks very neat and pleasant but is missing a bit of excitement. I would suggest adding another more contrasting color or something like that, probably to the object in the center.

6. akashkhatkale

akashkhatkale

Yes. it ties to the game. I am not able to think any hook :( Can you please suggest something ?

7. akashkhatkale

akashkhatkale

Thanks. Any more suggestions to add hook to the game ?

8. TonyLi

TonyLi

Why does the rain tie into the game?

What is the "essential experience" that you want the player to feel?

Candy Crush feels like getting a bag of candy as a kid; it may not be nutritious, it's colorful, fun, and as a kid you always want just one more piece. To make the player feel that experience, the game has lots of colors, music, and animation, and there's always something you can do right away that will make something exciting happen.

Prune, on the other hand, feels like tending a Zen garden. The minimal color set, the limited set of actions, and the requirement to be thoughtful rather than mash buttons, all promote this feeling.

Lifeline's essential experience taps into the butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling to getting to know someone new and mysterious and becoming involved in their story. It uses a text messaging interface to blur the line between a game and texting someone.

Canabalt, with a single input button, elegantly makes the player feel like they're in a chase scene in Blade Runner. The player is constantly being chased and must run forward nonstop. The art perfectly captures the noir of the movie.

In the examples above, the art (e.g., UI) comes from the essential experience that the designer wanted to convey.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. akashkhatkale

akashkhatkale

It's just place where it rains. There will be other themes like without rain, night theme and more.

This game is a one tap zig zag style endless game. It is created keeping in mind that big publishers like ketchapp will accept it :) So i just studied their game, and hence created this UI. Many of their games are simple, minimalist, with more minimal style than my UI which dont have any hook i suppose.

10. TonyLi

TonyLi

Okay, good luck.

11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I would suggest making your buttons stand out as buttons. Here are a few tips:
    • Make them a different colour from the background
    • Make them appear consistent (all buttons should have the same border, and should be the same colour and so on)
    • Make the important buttons big and central
    Its surprisingly easy to have a 'obvious' button sitting right there in the open that nobody pushes. I've missed out on entire features of mobile games, just because I didn't find the button.