Search Unity

Need help with additive animations

Discussion in 'Animation' started by fastgamedev, Feb 22, 2017.

1. fastgamedev

fastgamedev

I am trying to move from tweening GUI in the code to using Unity's animations systems (either legacy or Mecanim, still experimenting). And there is a very basic problem:

I need to animate a wide variety of properties (positions, rotations, light intensities, alphas, etc) additively. The animations need to start from whatever are the current properties values at the moment Play() is invoked; I only specify curves and the end values in the animation window. This is trivial with tweens. How is this done with legacy animations and Mecanim?

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

IMO - for GUI stuff - tweening is really the best option. Suggest moving back to tweening as you will get stuff done without complication from the animation system - specifically for GUI and UI.

3. fastgamedev

fastgamedev

Well, the effects I am trying to make are complicated, with precise timings and animation curves. They require lots of fiddling with parameters so doing them in the editor is easier. Take a look, as an example, at level up animations and effects in Bubble Witch Saga 3 and imagine doing all of that in tweens, - not easy at all.

So is it not possible to do additive animations of arbitrary properties? Can a Unity dev weigh in, please? @Mecanim-Dev

4. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Hi,

There is no additive animation support in legacy.
    Mecanim does support additive animation but the reference pose need to be know at build time

There is no way built in right now that I know that could allow you to use the current value at runtime as the reference pose.

You would need to implement your own solution.

5. fastgamedev

fastgamedev