Search Unity

Need help finding the right look for your game?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by RobHayes, Jul 18, 2017.

1. RobHayes

RobHayes

Hi Folks,

I've started a youtube series on game art direction. If you're having trouble finding the right look for your game this might help!

As always, I love to hear your thoughts and questions!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    ADNCG and DominoM like this.
  2. RobHayes

RobHayes

Awesome! Let me know if there is anything in particular you'd like to see.

3. Murgilod

Murgilod

I feel that good art direction implementation follows a three (technically four) step process that you cover really nicely in this video. Research, experimentation, and iteration (then repeat as necessary). This is a pretty handy video and I think it'll find a nice place in my references library.

RobHayes likes this.
  4. RobHayes

RobHayes

Thanks! That means allot. I'll be starting episode 2 tomorrow where I'll be adding 3 more initial concepts.

5. RobHayes

RobHayes

Episode 2 is now live!

Again, if you have any feedback I'd love to hear it.

LMan likes this.
  6. RobHayes

RobHayes

Here are the finished concepts ready for the next stage. Do you have a favorite?

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

Nice series! I watched episodes 1 and 2 yesterday. I like concept #2 because it seems like you could get some neat clockwork effects going.

RobHayes likes this.
  8. RobHayes

RobHayes

@TonyLi Thanks! Really appreciate it. totally agree, would be very cool to see some cogs rotating in the background. Might be nice to use the same technique on some of the other designs to add another level of detail.

Itching to start progressing on episode 3 now! Want to try adding some Lovecraft elements to concept #5

9. RobHayes

RobHayes

Episode 3 is recorded! They’re messy but very important.

In this stage I take on all the feedback and see how it works with the original concepts. They are a little rough around the edges but they’re perfect tools for creating the next stage of mock-ups.

Voice over and editing still remain so I'll keep you folks posted when I can.

10. RobHayes

RobHayes

It’s taking me a little longer than usual to find the time for editing and VO this week which has put a bit of a delay on episode 3. So to hopefully make up for this, here’s a preview of one of the mock-ups I’ve been working on for episode 4!

11. RobHayes

RobHayes

Episode 3 is now live! In this episode, I take on all your feedback and work on adding it to the chosen concepts.

As always, I love to hear your thoughts and questions!