Search Unity

NavMeshAgent - performance

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by Deleted User, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi guys,

Sorry for bothering you but I have a question about NavMeshAgent and its performance. I have situation in game where I decided for NavMeshAgent but because I have no clue how this BLACKBOX works, I decided to test it's performance ... what algorithm is used to find the best path (viterbi, dijkstra, A* or whatever) ? I created small maze (not so complex) and I was surprised because NavMeshAgent wasn't able to deal with it. It was trying to go opposite way, or it stopped on totally wrong place ... or when It finally managed to find destination, the way how it was done was getting straight bumping to the walls.

I don't know whether I'm doing something wrong or algorithm used by this component is so inefficient (and I'm wasting my time trying to solve it). Am I doing something wrong or is it normal ?

Thanks for your help, have beautiful day ;)

Attached Files:

2. meeth_

meeth_

Unity uses A* for pathfinding and I think they use RVO2 for dynamic obstacles (at least from what I've seen. It works very similar to RVO2) and flocking behavior for crowds. Have you baked your Navigation Mesh? And did you declare those walls as static obstacles?