Search Unity

[NavMeshAgent] isOnOffMeshLink + Move()

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by MaxRoetzler, Dec 22, 2012.

1. MaxRoetzler

MaxRoetzler

Hello,

I'm currently trying to make use of the NavMesh - OffMeshLinks. For NPC controlled characters (using NavMeshAgent.SetDestination) everything is working fine. However for the player controlled character (using NavMeshAgent.Move), the isOnOffMeshLink doesn't report anything. I tested it with manual and auto generated links. I was hoping player controlled agents could automatically make use of the links as well.

Here's some pseudo test code for the scenario in case I'm missing something. The player character does walk right into the link area in my scene.
    Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class test : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     private NavMeshAgent navMeshAgent;
    8.     void Start ()
    9.     {
    10.         navMeshAgent = GetComponent<NavMeshAgent>();
    11.         navMeshAgent.autoTraverseOffMeshLink = false;
    12.         //navMeshAgent.destination = Vector3.zero; used for npc's
    13.     }
    15.     // Update is called once per frame
    16.     void Update ()
    17.     {
    18.         navMeshAgent.Move(Vector3.forward * Time.deltaTime); //used for player
    20.         if (navMeshAgent.isOnOffMeshLink)
    21.             Debug.Log("OffMeshLink");
    22.     }
    23. }
    Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  2. GuoRay

GuoRay

Hi, I met the same problem, did you solve it ?

3. MaxRoetzler

MaxRoetzler

Nope... the agent doesn't seem to report this while its player controlled. I didn't pursue it any further, but I think its best to rely on manually generated off-mesh links and add triggers to register the player character, so you can still use the in out points.

4. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Same problem.

NavMeshAgent.isOnOffMeshLink always returns false.

5. Eclectus

Eclectus

Any more information on this? I am seeing the same behaviour, NavMeshAgent.isOnOffMeshLink always returns false.

6. Robosaru

Robosaru

This still seems to be broken - did anyone manage to solve?

7. Psyco92

Psyco92

dearamy likes this.
  8. niflying

niflying

9. laessnb

laessnb

This still seemingly has issues. Haven't tried in 2018.1 but I didn't see any relevant fixes mentioned. What I've found is that it works only if the NavMeshAgent has a collider on it, and only if using pathfinding (versus .Move() or .velocity). That's too heavyweight for what I need, since I don't want to recalculate a new path every update for small movements of my player character. Any thoughts would be welcome.

10. Ermiq

Ermiq

Unity 2018.1.3f1. Still doesn't work with player controlled character.

11. rogersteve97

rogersteve97

Still does not work in Unity 2018.3.0f1, I'm not sure why they haven't fixed this yet.

12. HAIRGROW

HAIRGROW

Unfortunately this is still a problem. I'm currently building a VR game where the player controls their movement via a NavMesh Agent. The "Player Agent" is moved by calculating a propulsion value and then feeding this into navMeshAgent.Move(actualPropulsion). The system works very well for movement and I get the added benefit of "Walls" because the "Player Agent" can't move beyond the NavMesh. But now I want the Player to jump off ledges/platforms. The Player can not do so, because they're now grounded to the NavMesh. I hoped using OffMesh links, would solve this problem, but have discovered that OffMesh Links only work if you're using SetDestination(). I hoping someone has discovered a way to use OffMesh Links when using .Move() on the NavMesh Agent.

qzpobo likes this.
  13. maguslin

maguslin

you dont need to do that, because you've controller the player all the time ,what you need is just close the agent by navmeshagent.enable=false,and then set transform.position directly. after teleport finished just set agent.enable = true