Search Unity

NAT Punch through issues....

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by seon, Dec 25, 2007.

1. seon

seon

Hi,

I have 2 Mac's on my home network, both connected to my router via wireless (because my modem is in the lounge room as its the only working phone point I have :( )

Both my machines report (from unity's network example as well as my game) "Problem determining NAT capabilities" when trying to use the Master/Server

I cant try it hard waired at the moment (for teh above reasons) but i was wondering if anyone would know why or have experienced this same issue connecting 2 machines via master/server when both are on wireless?

My router is not blocking any ports.

2. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Usually, a server, needs to have a port (that the game uses) forwarded to its IP address. Is your network set up that way?

3. mehware

mehware

I had the same problems. I have the "problems determining NAT capabilities" and "Undetermined NAT capabilities error"

What I did was use my Windows Box I don't ever use heh to set it up as a web server. I run as the server from that box in the web browser and then I can connect to it as a client from my other mac computers. I haven't tested a computer outside of my network tho.

Happy Holidays!

4. seon

seon

No it's not, but thats the point of the Master/Sever... it does NAT punch through.

But the point here is not that it cant connect.. but that it gets an error checking NAT.

5. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

There was a problem just now with the connectivity on the connection tester server (an internal error). This resulted in "problem determining NAT" messages. A new improved version which will prevent this from happening again will be running very soon. Anyway, the tests should work now.

Btw, "undetermined NAT capabilities" is not an error but simply means a test has not been completed. This message should only be returned for short durations depending on the speed of the test and if a timeout occurs during testing.

6. shaun

shaun

As Larus said the connection test was 'broken' - I had the same problem. However, I was able to host my sessions with the Master Server and I connected a few clients.

You shouldn't have to port forward - if you have a newish router with uPnP enabled it will register your application. Which port did you choose? It shouldn't really matter unless you are conflicting with another app. I've been using the default without any problems.

I also think there may be a small problem with NAT session registration - I'ts not confirmed yet, but I've filed a bug report. (I get NAT Enabled=false on all HostData[] entries regardless of the Network.useNAT setting).

7. seon

seon

Yeah, it's all working now... must have been the issue Larus was talking about :)