Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

My own controllers

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by cyberluke, Jun 9, 2017.

1. cyberluke

cyberluke

Hi, we are building RealMagic VR controllers (www.realmagic.tech) and would like to use them together with EditorVR. How to implement a custom menu for a controller? We already have Unity SDK support.

2. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

@cyberluke, we are currently making use of an input-prototype library that will be superseded by the new input system that is coming to Unity soon. Not too much will radically change, but I want to point this out up front.

I took a look at your website and it seems like you have trackers for many locations. You have a few options:
    1. Piggy-back on the Touch or Vive input forwarders and add your own custom input channels (this would be an option to get up and running quickly); The Sixense event forwarder is a good reference, too, as those are standalone controllers.
    2. Create a whole new chain that includes creating a custom InputDevice and Proxy (this is the long-term, desired solution). You'd be creating something akin to a VRInputDevice and possibly a separate Proxy, unless the point is simply to bring input support to custom tools. If you just needed access to input channels, then you could create custom action maps after creating a new InputDevice class.

It's likely that some changes would need to happen on our end to support what you're doing, too. Although EditorVR has been designed so that you can extend the input of the system without having to fork the project -- you're among the first to try and add new controller support.

3. cyberluke

cyberluke

Did not get any notification and just read it today. Okay, thank you.