Search Unity

Multiple mice?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Mr. Animator, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Mr. Animator

Mr. Animator

Okay, this might be a cooky idea, but can you independently read the input from two different mice plugged into the same computer?

I have a craaaazy idea for doing a co-operative game on a single computer that is entirely mouse driven. I think there's a lot of potential there, and I'm pretty sure its technically possible. I have actually played Serious Sam split screen on a PC before, by using two mice and two keyboards... I'm not saying its comfortable, but there exists at least one game in the history of the world that could actually parse the input from two mice at the same time, so it should be possible! :)

2. dan

dan

3. Mr. Animator

Mr. Animator

odd that a search of 'multiple mice' didn't return that thread...

4. dan

dan

Searches are funny things sometimes. I just remembered following that particular discussion. :)

5. Avaista

Avaista

If there is any chance that either of you see this, I am trying to do something similar but the link 404s.
    Could you let me know what he name of the discussion was, or give me a quick rundown of the solution. I know this was posted forever ago, but I haven't found anything else really relevant yet.

Thanks for your time.

6. whynotme

whynotme

7. horatiu665

horatiu665

Hi. Just like Avaista, I have the same issue and I could still not find any clear guide on the internet about this. Could anyone please confirm or infirm whynotme's link or some other way to do it?

Thanks a bunch!

8. ravingbots

ravingbots

I think you will be interested in Multi-Input: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/59967 - it is an extension library for Unity that enables you to independently read input from two or more different mice, keyboards, and pads plugged into the same computer at the same time.

9. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

or, if they've waited 4-10 years they can wait just a little longer for the upcoming changes to input handling announced recently... :p ;)

Kiwasi likes this.
  10. ravingbots

ravingbots

I believe you are referring to this article: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/04/12/developing-the-new-input-system-together-with-you/ - I saw the video, and I could not find there information about supporting many mice/keyboards at the same time. Therefore, the ancient Unity developers, who are trapped in this thread, can finally rouse and blow the cobwebs away, because the shiny Multi-Input has arrived to resurrect their forbidden dreams about the new age of co-op gameplay ;)