Search Unity

Multiplayer??

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by flatbro94, Feb 15, 2010.

1. flatbro94

flatbro94

So i understand that u need a web-server for standalone and i was just wondering what bout he players storage like if you created a character and got some basic trainee weapons where would i got and another question. so ok say if i use a web-server to host my game what bout he multilayer how would it work can some explain that to me.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

For clarification: A webserver does not host your multiplayer game in any way. It only hosts the download of the player file (webplayer / standalone) thats then downloaded to the users machine and executed locally.

A webserver can not execute unity and as such not serve as a platform to execute a multiplayer game. It though can be used as a storage for persistence data.

3. flatbro94

flatbro94

alright thanks but wat do i use to do multiplayer for the game in unity

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

you must have a windows or osx (virtual) dedicated machine that hosts the game if you want dedicated or you can make it the way that players host the multiplayer games (so they act as server and player, which is how many console games and non-shooter pc games work)

5. flatbro94

flatbro94

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

If you have the hundred of thousands of USD to pay the team required to create something like fusion fall, you could do quite a bit. RakNet though is no option if you want webplayer as you can not use C++ plugins in the webplayer.
    You would have to develop something basing on sockets or use Photon for example.

Also for such a game we are talking of thousands to tens of thousands of upkeep costs for the server environment per year.

7. flatbro94

flatbro94

i want to use a standalone player for my game so wat would u choose for me to use for a server like fusion falls

8. flatbro94

flatbro94

so i am its like i want an multilayer platform is liek an mmorpg not like a shooter game where u wait int e lobby ii want it to where the player can connect to the server and be in the map where the rest of the players are

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

which means that you must develop an MMO backend technology, that sounds like it has to be scaleable ... you can expect to see costs in the $100k+ range to come up to develop just the backend if it is meant to work at the end of the day, without the costs for the servers etc

10. flatbro94

flatbro94

ok but wat would u use for starters if would create a game like fusionfall

11. Dreamora

Dreamora

How large is your team, how large is your budget?

12. flatbro94

flatbro94

a team of 10 with no budget i just want to know what networking would go best for an mmorpg multilayer environment

13. Dreamora

Dreamora

Sockets or Lidgren as you have no money to invest in anything else. And naturally the next 2-3 years to develop anything that works even remotely usable as you work on sparetime

14. flatbro94

flatbro94

can u give me some good links would help me best

15. flatbro94

flatbro94

how do i set up an lidgren netowrk

16. Dreamora

Dreamora

You drop the .net assembly into your unity client project and then use it to develop a network system, syncronization etc to make use of it.

in parallel you develop a scaleable server backend, which also uses lidgren for the communication with the client

there is nothing else to "setup". is a networking library, nothing more ("nicer sockets with some stuff you would have to add yourself")

17. flatbro94

flatbro94

where can i get the .net assemble

18. Dreamora

Dreamora

I would expect lidgren downloads to be on the lidgren page
    Also you will potentially have to compile it yourself by the instructions you find there through visual studio or mono

Please if you really intend to create a game, even if just a simple one, get used to research stuff before asking others, after all your project is several ten thousand man hours to several hundred thousand man hours of work till its done, so you better start out with "developer basic behavior" sooner then later or it will take even longer

19. flatbro94

flatbro94

thks for ur help srry for the questions and taking ur tiem now i kno what to do

20. Redlucifer

Redlucifer