Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Desktop Multi Display Problem

Discussion in '5.3 Beta' started by Kiesel_HSAS, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Kiesel_HSAS

Kiesel_HSAS

I wanted to give the Multi Display Rendering a quick look, but it seems that some parts are missing.
    I'm able to activate the other screens (by scripting), but on the Camera Component the "Target Display" Dialog is missing. The activated screen only shows a gray picture.
    CameraComponent.jpg

Do I have to use a speical kind of camera to unlock this feature?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    Miguel_Melon likes this.
  2. jashan

jashan

Yup, same here ... I'm pretty excited about this change because I'm hoping it will be used by the native VR integration so we can have a better way to select which cameras get rendered to the HMD (so I'd expect this field to be populated with Display 1-8 + HMD).

But currently I only see "Target Eye" when I have switched Virtual Reality Supported on. And I find it a bit confusing to have settings in components appear / disappear based on a project setting.

3. Venkify

Venkify

Unity Technologies

Thanks for reporting. It seems there is a bug in detecting the active Build Target. We will fix it at the earliest. Please submit a bug so we can follow-up as soon as its fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

4. Kiesel_HSAS

Kiesel_HSAS

I filed a bug report on this, Case 738136.

5. Kiesel_HSAS

Kiesel_HSAS

QA Team states that this is a intended behaviour. So is the documentation the problem?
    What is the proper way to use Multi-Display then?

6. jashan

jashan

How can behaviour that contradicts the documentation be intended?

7. Venkify

Venkify

Unity Technologies

Sorry for any confusion caused. The issue is fixed and should be available in the upcoming 5.3 Beta version.

8. jashan

jashan

Ok, great!

Are you talking to the VR-team so that they'll use this instead of putting the same functionality into "Target Eye"?

9. robinb-u3d

robinb-u3d

Unity Technologies

Currently the plan is to use "Target Eye" to select from "Both", "Left", "Right", "None (Main Display)" as this is a VR specific property and then "Target Display" will select the display that "None" option will target (when using VR). We have looked at rolling the two options together but while the HMD is logically a display it isn't treated as one nor accessed in a similar way so rolling the two concepts together causes us quite a few issues.

10. ikriz

ikriz

So as I understand: "Graphics: Render to multiple displays on PC" is targeted at VR display functionality? Not for multidisplay setups like triple screens and the likes? kinda hoping I'm wrong about this.

[update]
    Found some documentation related to multi display
    Display class and as mentioned above the Camera.targetDisplay doesnt seem to work corretly for me in build.

would be nice if we could simulate the multi displays in the editor using multiple game views for example.
    [/update]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  11. robinb-u3d

robinb-u3d

Unity Technologies

"Graphics: Render to multiple displays on PC" is indeed standard (nothing to do with VR) rendering to multiple PC monitors/displays.

Separately we are also adding support for VR applications to render to standard displays as well as to the VR headsets (which is currently all they can do).

12. ikriz

ikriz

Just found the display selection pulldown in the game view (very nice).
    Also noticed that it if you have three different screens with different resolutions the views get unaligned, with bands along the top and bottom. After changing the resolution to the same over all three screens it worked just fine.
    Any chance for different resolutions?

13. Venkify

Venkify

Unity Technologies

ikriz,

I believe this is a bug. Could you please post the layout of your screens and the resolutions you tested?

Thanks.

14. ikriz

ikriz

left primary screen [2]: 1920x1200
    middle laptop screen [1]: 1920x1080
    right secondary [3]: 1680x1050

posted bug report with screenshots and build, Case: 742254

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  15. Venkify

Venkify

Unity Technologies

ikriz,

"-multidisplay" flag is an additional flag required by Player for Multi-Display. This ensures that the ordering of displays as enumerated from the system remains unchanged (without this flag, ordering may change). This will fix layout issues and will use displays as enumerated by Windows.

We will try to fix the other issue and will update this thread. For now as a workaround, please set the resolutions to maximum resolution supported by all displays. (1680x1050 in the above case).

16. ikriz

ikriz

Using this flag corrects the layout, and the resolutions are corrected instead of blue bands i get neat black edges where the screens are offset, thanks :)

17. Awesumo

Awesumo

Question for Venkify or robinb-u3d:

Our application requires a projector and a touchscreen running different aspect ratios, namely 4:3 projector and 16:9 touchscreen. Will the upcoming multi-display rendering feature allow me to display game content at 4:3 via projector while displaying 16:9 remote control UI content via touchscreen? Right now the only way I can achieve this is by running two instances of the app using networking or IPC for communication between remote (touchscreen) and content (projector). It would be extremely helpful if we could do this via one application instance and display two windows to two displays running different aspect ratios.

Thanks in advance for any information you can share about this exciting new feature!!

18. Awesumo

Awesumo

I partially answered this already by downloading the latest 5.3 beta and I can get it to work in the editor by setting up multiple cameras and assigning them to different displays, but when I build I only get a single window displaying a single camera view. I am using the -multidisplay flag. I do not see any information on multidisplay in the documentation. Any idea where I am going wrong? Do I have to set up clustered rendering to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Update: Found this document via beta release notes:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cWbyeiRy-Y2FnCiIvcKcZu7l5lf3vCcGYfrvAW53cTI/edit?pli=1

Looks like each display must be activated through script during app startup. Makes sense, going to give it a try.

Update 2: It works! Huge feature for us! But, it is a bit wonky in that there is a black line going through the top of the screen and a "task bar"-sized black gap on the bottom of the screen, BUT I am getting two windows from the same app and that just makes my day! Thanks Unity Devs!!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    ikriz likes this.
  19. Awesumo

Awesumo

Okay after some testing here is what I have found running 5.3b6:

1. Mouse clicks are not raising events on the secondary display. In other words, I can click the mouse to activate a button on Display[1], but not on Display[2].

2. Calling Activate with arguments or without yields the same result:
    Display.displays[2].Activate(1280,960,60);
    Display.displays[2].Activate();
    ^ Both of these calls result in the second monitor's content to be 1920 pixels across with what looks like 720 pixels down with a large black border at the bottom of the screen as seen here:

Not sure if these issues are bugs, regressions, or expected behavior.

20. Venkify

Venkify

Unity Technologies

1. We are working on Input System to handle multiple Displays. Will update this thread..
    2. While we work on fixing this, please ensure that system resolution are set the same for all displays.

21. ikriz

ikriz

So now it's possible to render an individual camera to a single display, is it possible to also render a single camera over all displays? this would be handy for stuff like UI overlays and so on...

22. zolivierADS

zolivierADS

23. PolygonFormation

PolygonFormation

Hello everyone,

Another "bug" or annoying problem for multidisplay fullscreen executable is :
    You can't get focus back on both screens once you alt+tab or switch to another application after start of the game.

It's very annoying because, generally, such a feature is often related to using several applications together.... thus requiring in/out of focus of the fullscreen unity executable.

I tried everything, the -multidisplay flag, or even re-activating with :
    Code (CSharp):
    1.   if (Display.displays.Length > 1)
    2.             Display.displays[1].Activate();
    in a OnApplicationFocus (seems buggy too) or even through a simple keyboard shortcut.
    Nothing can get the focus back on both displays once you lose focus. (secondary display stays "minimized")

Maybe something i don't get, or a bug ?
    I'm with latest 5.3.0f2 with Windows 7 64bits and 2 Full HD screens.

Thank you very much,

SMaX

dbalz3 likes this.
  24. mikaelwallin

mikaelwallin

Will different resolution screens be supported on release?

25. Awesumo

Awesumo

This is an extremely important feature for our project. If the release build will not support different resolutions and aspect ratios we'd like to know as soon as possible so we can find an alternate solution like running two separate unity apps or something. Our app requires content to be projected at 4:3 and a touchscreen remote running 16:9.

As always, any information you can share is mucho appreciated!!!