Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi Core Processors - Unity Editor's Effective or not at really using all cores?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ev3d, Jun 8, 2017.

1. ev3d

ev3d

I have (previous to the recent update) the fastest iMac available (4.0 GHZ i7 Quad Core) and has 8 virtual cores with SSD and 48 gig of ram... a bit of a powerhouse because i usually am waiting on my computer. And i hate it.. feels like wasted time.

My question is about the new iMac pro or even current Mac Pro's.. I wonder if unity is coded in a way that can really use all the cores of a more advanced machine (say 8 Core with 16 virtual cores) or more. Will unity editor effectively use them or is it a waste?

To guide the discussion, the things that tend to take more time for me are:
    1. Compiling
    2. Switching Platforms
    3. Building
    4. AssetBundle Creation
    I realize the multicore will speed up light mapping... but that is not a major bottleneck for me...

2. Zuntatos

Zuntatos

Only shader compiling & light mapping are multithreaded to my knowledge, so a new cpu may not help much.

3. ev3d

ev3d

Is that the only things that the editor does using multithreading?

4. Zuntatos

Zuntatos

No offence, but I guess it's easy enough to find out; open the mac equivalent of task manager and see cpu usage during these things.

There's some chance texture importing / compressing is multithreaded too.

5. ev3d

ev3d

No offense taken... i want to have a discussion about it and get people take on it.. And maybe there are some unity docs that outline this?

6. mgear

mgear

at least they are upgrading the editor to use more cores for everything, i think importing assets was mentioned too, to make it happen in the background while you can keep working.. (see unite keynote videos)

7. ev3d

ev3d

Anyone have any new info on this? 8 core processor for your dev machine anyone?

8. lolaswift

lolaswift

Hi two years later. I'm choosing from either a 3900x or a 3950x. Any suggestion?

9. DrunkenMastah

DrunkenMastah

I purchased a 3970x ...importing assets still takes the same amount of time.. :/
    Unity doesn't do parallel loading of most of the features..
    Unity version 2019.3.10f1
    Importing Asset pack ~800mb taking forever...not using any CPU or ram or disk or GPU ...nothing..yet it makes me wait...oh well..
    upload_2020-5-25_1-37-17.png