Search Unity

Move/remove Editor Default Resources folder and Gizmo folder?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by noania, Jul 12, 2015.

1. noania

noania

Hi, not many assets in asset store use those folders but one asset(namely Master Audio) uses those folders and those 2 folders are spoiling the beauty of my project file list view. I want my root folder to be compact as possible.

I've tried moving them to Standard Assets folder but it doesn't work.
    Tried hiding them via Explorer(windows), doesn't work.
    I've asked the author not to use those folders, he didn't listen.

Is there anything you can do to get those 2 folders away from my assets root folder?

2. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Unfortunately, you can't. If an asset needs to have Gizmos there's no way around the Gizmos folder at the project's root level. This also applies to the Editor Default Resources folder. But that's not the publishers fault. There's no other way to accomplish said behaviour. Basically, using an Editor Default Resources is good practice, as this way textures and icons used by an extension will not be included in the final build. However, the folder should be movable and should not be unique in a project (as normal Editor folders too).

We also publish plugins in the Asset Store and really wish Unity would change that, but it seems they won't. It would also be great if textures placed in the Editor Default Resources won't spam the object selectors in the inspectors.

3. iivo_k

iivo_k

Holy S*** this is annoying. Unity, please make the Editor Default Resources folder movable.

Edit: Although, couldn't script just use a Resources folder somewhere inside an Editor folder? So is this afterall something that asset developers can affect?

Under Editor it says the following here https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SpecialFolders.html :

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016