Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Motion Controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. antoripa

antoripa

Ok. Nottorus has not blueprint ...it is a just a nice and cool visual board that using reflection show you methods and properties from every c# class and you put those together... but if you dunno what you need .. you cannot do a lot .. It is not like Playmaker.... it is a kind a visual editor for c# ... if you do not kown the c# command you will not get any benefit ....if you do not have a dev skill I can suggest you product like FlowCanvas, NodeCanvas, Playmaker or Behavior Design ... are differents and I dunno what is the best for you .. it's more what you gonna do ...

2. Szaruga

Szaruga

Hello

I'm slowly preparing to import MC to my project, and I still don't know much about animations. Because of that I ask for advice and suggestions how to do something like this:
    I have my own system of HP, energy etc. Energy is used for some actions, and when it reaches zero, I want the "lost consciousness" animation to start:
    1 - the character falls (beginning of the "lost consciousness" animation - nothing can be done)
    2 - the character is lying on the ground (energy recovery in progress)
    3 - the character rises (impulse with information that energy is recovered)
    4 - transition to IDLE animation

I'm going to use Mixamo animations.
    I ask for general advice and suggestions how to go about doing this. Thank you for any help.
    - - - - -
    My second problem seems trivial, so you can laugh :)
    I'll describe it:
    1 - I import MC to my project
    2 - I run the MC_temple scene
    3 - the character climbs the stone cubes, the ladder and the vines outside nicely --- it works even when I change the Layer property of the aforementioned objects randomly
    4 - I create a new scene and place on it various objects, ladders etc. and assign them Layers using this scheme:

5 - despite that, my character doesn't react properly, doesn't climb the ladder etc... I try various settings and changes... but always there is something that doesn't work, wall climbing or the ladder... :(

Thank you for any help.
    Best regards. :)

Attached Files:

3. Tryz

Tryz

Lets start with this one. :)

There's usually three reasons a character won't climb:
    1. The object (block, ladder, etc.) doesn't have a collider on it.
    2. The object's layer doesn't match the layer in the motions you're using.
    3. The climb motion's min/max height and distance aren't actually finding an edge.

The layers really do matter. If you're changing the layer of the object and it's still climbing, it could be that the climb motion is setup with multiple layers or the layers in Unity aren't really getting set.

There's also some debugging that might help:
    1. Add an ootii Graphics Manager to your "Main Camera" GameObject. You'll find this in the "Scripts | com.ootii.Graphics" flyout when adding a component.

2. Ensure the Debug area of the Motion Controller has "Show Debug Info" and "For All Motions" checked.

When you try to climb, you'll see green lines:

That represents the min/max values I talked about earlier. Make sure your edge is within the green lines.

Hopefully that helps.

As for your first request for advice, I'll respond to that when I get back. I have to run out for a couple of hours. :)

Malbers, FargleBargle and kurotatsu like this.
  4. Tryz

Tryz

As with all game development, there's 10 different ways to do anything. Here would be my suggestion for the simplest integration:

1. Create a new motion called "LoseConsciousness". This motion will be responsible for checking your energy, starting the animations, and recovering back to idle.

2. Create the Mecanim sub-state machine that will hold the animations and transitions.

To learn more about how to do the setup of these and how they work, check out the Motion Builder's Guide. The guide will explain how you connect your motion to the sub-state machine, variables you need, and what functions do what. It's long, but there's lots of pictures and you can skim it as needed.

Ok, now for some specific advice...

In your new motion, the TestActivate() function is where you'll test if your energy is 0. If so, you will return 'true' and the Activate() function will be called. That's where you're going to tell mecanim to start playing your animations. Use the mMotionController.SetAnimatorMotionPhase() function.

In the Update() function of the motion (or your attribute component), you start to raise your energy. When the energy is above the threshold, you tell mecanim to play your "get up" animation and transition back to idle.

In the TestUpdate() function, when you see that mecanim is in the idle state of your sub-state machine, you return false and your motion exits. Now you're back to running all the other motions.

I know this all sounds scary and a lot to take in. However, once you look at the documentation and try out the "Build Your First Motion" tutorial (page 29), you'll see how it all fits together.

Also, look at some of my other motions. A good one to look at is "Slide.cs" it's simple and you should be able to follow it.

Copy the "MotionTemplate.cs" to start your "LoseConsciousness" motion. It has steps written in it to help too.

I'll check back in when I get home. :)

FargleBargle, antoripa and kurotatsu like this.
  5. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Thanks for that detailed explanation. I'm an animator, rigger with over a decade of experience

But no scripting skills at all. But I must learn to code but in the mean while won't look to nottorus

But rather flow and node canvas thanks

6. Aceego

Aceego

Did anyone use MC with emerald ai? I want to give emerald a try but I can not find a tutorial for implement mc's damage or health system :(

7. Tryz

Tryz

I'm not familiar with Emerald AI, but it may help to inherit from ActorCore and extend it for Emerald AI.

Your new EmeraldAIActorCore will have its "OnDamaged()" and "OnKilled()" functions called. So, you can use them to look at your remaining heath, who hit you, and how much damage they did.

Aceego likes this.
  8. Szaruga

Szaruga

Tryz@

Thank you for the advice.
    I have to admit that it looks like a difficult task, as I will gather the strength to try to deal with this challenge. By the way, one more question:
    If I add my own animations - what happened to them will when updating MC?

9. Tryz

Tryz

You got this! If you get stuck, I'll help. :)

Start with my "Create your first motion" tutorial. It will all make sense.

If you modify my "Humanoid" animator controller, your changes will be wiped. So, you want to copy the animator controller I give you and use that. Now, your animations will stay even when I update.

10. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

And put it somewhere else in your project, so if you delete the Ootii folder prior to updating or for some other reason you won't lose your Mods!!!

FargleBargle and hopeful like this.
  11. Tryz

Tryz

I've just had a second report of an error in the motion packs:

Assets/ootii/MotionControllerPacks/Archery/Code/Actors/Motions/Bow_MotionBase.cs(44,30): error CS0117: `com.ootii.MotionControllerPacks.Bow_Idle' does not contain a definition for `GroupName'

It turns out the Asset Store isn't always downloading the latest version unless you delete the cached version of the asset that is in your Unity folder first. For me, that's here:
    C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\ootii\Editor ExtensionsAnimation

I'm going to try updating the asset version number again to see if that helps. However, there is no code change.

FargleBargle and kurotatsu like this.
  12. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I'll test it for ya, as the other fix didn't work for me.

13. tchris

tchris

I was wondering the proper way to have a script on the sword for the Sword & Shield pack and subscribe to the OnImpact event to have some of my own code run. I tried making a new script and putting it on the sword but I wasn't sure exactly how to do it.

Code (CSharp):
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    6. public class MyWeaponCore : com.ootii.Actors.LifeCores.WeaponCore {
    7.     protected virtual void OnImpact(com.ootii.Actors.Combat.CombatHit rHitInfo)
    8.     {
    10.         Debug.Log("MyWeaponCore.OnImpact");
    12.     }
    13. }

14. Tryz

Tryz

You've got a couple options:

1. Inherit from SwordCore
    You're close. I would inherit from SwordCore and then override the OnHit (or OnImpact) function. Like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using com.ootii.Actors.Combat;
    2. using com.ootii.Actors.LifeCores;
    4. public class tchrisSwordCore : SwordCore
    5. {
    6.     /// <summary>
    7.     /// Raised when the weapon actually hits. This way the sword can adjust the combat message.
    8.     /// </summary>
    9.     /// <param name="rCombatMessage">Message that contains information about the hit</param>
    10.     public override void OnHit(CombatMessage rCombatMessage)
    11.     {
    12.         base.OnHit(rCombatMessage);
    13.     }
    14. }
    2. You can just subscribe to the event
    In this case, you'd have a separate component on the sword. Like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using com.ootii.Actors.LifeCores;
    4. public class tchrisSwordStuff : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     private void Start()
    7.     {
    8.         SwordCore lSword = gameObject.GetComponent<SwordCore>();
    9.         lSword.OnImpactHandler = OnImpact;
    10.     }
    12.     private void OnImpact(WeaponCore rWeaponCore)
    13.     {
    14.     }
    15. }
    In #1, you can affect the combat by modifying the CombatMessage as you want.

With #2, you can't affect combat, but you can respond to the impact. It's a little cleaner and keeps you from have having to create a new "core".

I hope that helps.

15. tchris

tchris

Thanks! I implemented #2 and it worked great. I'm not sure if I read the docs right. Is the OnHit event raised regardless of whether you are using the colliders on the sword or not?

16. nirvanajie

nirvanajie

Hi,

I want to use MC with Control Freak. But I can't find the add-on for Control Freak.Did I miss something?

Cheers,
    Vincent

17. Tryz

Tryz

In order to support all the different input solutions on the asset store, you need to create an "Input Source". I include one for Unity's input manager and Easy Input. There's also one on the Vault for Rewired's input solution. However, one needs to be created for Control Freak.

To learn how to create an input source, check out this video:

You can also see information in the documentation (page 10):
    http://www.ootii.com/Unity/MotionController/MC2Guide.pdf

nirvanajie likes this.
  18. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I also have one I wrote for InControl.

nirvanajie and Tryz like this.
  19. carrollh

carrollh

Hi Tim,

I've recently purchased your BC, MC, and Sw+Sh packages. They're good stuff!
    I have not read all 46(!) pages of this thread, so maybe this has been brought up before. If so, sorry for adding to thread bloat.

In your inventory system, can you support relative pathing above your Resources folder? Does it already do this, and I'm somehow screwing it up? I'd rather leave my items elsewhere, and ../../../<path to my folders> doesn't work. Is there a feature request board or something this should be going in instead?
    upload_2017-1-11_20-50-39.png
    Thanks!

kurotatsu likes this.
  20. Tryz

Tryz

Hi @carrollh ,

Thanks for the purchases! :)

I don't support anything above the Resources folder as those items won't be included by Unity during your build. However, you can put the Resources folder anywhere. In fact, you can have multiple Resources folders and the pathing will find it. That's because "Resources" is a special folder in Unity.

For example these are both valid for the path in your image:
    Assets/ootii/MotionPacks/Resources/Weapons/Swords/Sword_01
    Assets/YourSpecialPath/Resources/Weapons/Swords/Sword_01

I use the path to the Resources folder because it allows us to load assets that aren't in the scene. The only other option is to have a field that allows you to place the sword prefab. Then, you can have it outside of the Resources folder. Of course, if you have 20 different swords, it's a pain to have to include them all just in case you use one.

I hope that makes sense.

TeagansDad and kurotatsu like this.
  21. nirvanajie

nirvanajie

Thanks,Tim. I will check out the video and try to figure it out.:)

Tryz and kurotatsu like this.
  22. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

Hi,

For the Motion Controller, when setting the value of "Walk Speed" and "Run Speed" for the "Walk Run Rotate" Motion, causes certain effects.

I don't know if it is suppose to behave this way or not, but hopefully you can confirm. Or maybe I am overlooking some settings?

When "Walk Speed" and "Run Speed" are both set to be 0, all the characters movements seems fine. But, when I set their values to 10 and 15 respectively, these effects occur:

* Strafe animations work, but the character strafe doesn't physically move in terms of location
    * Walking a single step or a few steps forward, and then immediately go into idle. When turn with A or D key as it immediately goes into idle, it doesn't rotate the character in place, but instead, it seems to move the character in some kind of circular path. If waiting for about half a second or more after the idle happens and then having to press the A/D key, the rotation works normal. This seems to only happen when walking and then going into immediate idle (when immediate idle happens rotate with A or D key right away). When using the mouse to rotate in this scenario, it seems to work good.

I hope the above description makes sense and I hope you can duplicate it.

Please see the attached image below for my setting. I am also using the Ootii Camera Controller and Easy Input, if that information helps with diagnosis.

Thank you!

upload_2017-1-11_23-46-50.png

upload_2017-1-12_1-35-35.png

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  23. Tryz

Tryz

@tachyon-particle I'm seeing the same thing you are. When I get home tonight, I'll put in a fix for it and make it part of the next update.

Thanks

kurotatsu and tachyon-particle like this.
  24. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

Awesome. Awesome.

Thank you for confirming this!

I am looking forward to the upcoming fix.

kurotatsu likes this.
  25. Tryz

Tryz

The fix is pretty simple and I'll make it part of the next update. However, if you want to play with it first just do this...

In WalkRunRotate_v2, go to line 411. Replace the contents of that "if" statement (lines 411, 412, 413, and 414) with this line:

rMovement = rMovement.normalized * (lMovementSpeed * rDeltaTime);

I tested it and it works for me. Please let me know if it works for you. :)

26. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

Yes, I tried that fix and it works!

This is fantastic!

Thank you for following up with this so urgently. This product is truly a gem :)

27. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Has anyone got the fix for at idle the left arm sticks in the hip but it seems it's only a mixamo thing

Guess it's time to break away from mixamo models ?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  28. Tryz

Tryz

You want to use Unity's avatar configuration to rotate the left arm away from the body as needed. Simply select the left shoulder under the 'Mapping' view. Then, modify the transform rotation as need.

This will apply the change to all animations that use that avatar.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ConfiguringtheAvatar.html

tachyon-particle and Malbers like this.
  29. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Thats an easy fix, I thought I would have to re rig her. Thanks Mr Ootii

recon0303, tachyon-particle and Tryz like this.
  30. recon0303

recon0303

when you decide to do the whole magic pack, not sure how much is in stone yet, but look at games like World Of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls online (best for multi Player I think for today's standards anyways..) DarkFall its gone, but that is more twitch style, so not sure you want to go that far. But these are 3 types that would benefit people in many ways that I can think of. Spells/Effects , I personally wouldn't go nuts here, I feel most will want to make there own, so, some basic default for learning for someone that may need it.. I use Particle Playground, and its great for stuff like this.

I don't have any games that have magic right now, but I plan to buy your Pack anyways to support it , and will use it for a future game, that I have.... Sorry if this is a little old, but been super busy with the holidays, and playing catch up, so far behide on my work...UGH..

kurotatsu likes this.
  31. Tryz

Tryz

This is exactly the road I'm heading down. I don't want to create laser guns (for this pack anyway). So, things like Magic Missile won't be a 1000 shots per second. Instead, they will be something you cast after a quarter second or so.

You're exactly right about the particle effects. There are tons of great assets on the store and I can't compete with those artistically. My goal is to provide a way to use them with all the spells. I will have some basic effects, but it's the mechanics we're after in this pack.

This week was crazy with requests for help and some contract work. So, not a whole lot of progress, but you can see what'a I've done so far:

tchris, magique, Hans and 5 others like this.
  32. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Looks good so far! What do you have in mind for the spell actions (other than Spawn Particle and Cause Damage)?

No quite sure how you'd implement it, but being able to make actions conditional would be very handy.

A visual node editor would be great for designing spells and setting up the flow of actions. However I suspect that is way more work than what you had in mind. ;)

kurotatsu and recon0303 like this.
  33. Tryz

Tryz

Some general ones: attribute modifiers, speed modifiers, position/rotation modifiers, transparency modifiers, etc.

This is one of those things where I'll just have to create spells like Fire Wall and see what I run into.

Agreed. Post any examples you have and I'm happy to chew on them.

I like the idea, but probably not initially. Depending on how well it does, I'm sure it can be expanded. ;)

Hans likes this.
  34. Aceego

Aceego

are you planning Video tutorials how to implement "ice creature ai" with the sword & shield package?

35. Tryz

Tryz

I did a 3 part series for AI using Node Canvas and raw code. Hopefully that can be used as a starting point for ICE and all the other AI assets on the store.

I'm always happy to answer questions and help with integrations, but I'm not sure when I'll get to ICE (or all the others). There's a lot of assets on the store to keep up with. :)

tchris, reocwolf, kurotatsu and 3 others like this.
  36. recon0303

recon0303

no rush for me , just figured to give my input, I have no use for the pack right now at all, but just wanted to add my 2 cents:)

kurotatsu and Tryz like this.
  37. recon0303

recon0303

Ice should be fairly easy, ICE, will have Apex Path, and a few others intergrated with it soon as PIT(Dev) Update it..

I use Apex Path with MC and took me less than a day to set up, nothing fancy at first.. But with more time was fairly easy to set up should be able to with any asset with MC to be honest.

38. hopeful

hopeful

Did I hear you mention the creation of slippery / sticky areas? Awesome, since it sounds like that probably involves modifying the AC. :)

reocwolf likes this.
  39. Tryz

Tryz

No promises, but that's the goal. :)

hopeful and reocwolf like this.
  40. reocwolf

reocwolf

It does sound awesome!

Tryz likes this.
  41. carrollh

carrollh

Oh right. I forgot about that. Thanks!

Tryz likes this.
  42. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

It could be simple conditions, such as a spell that does extra damage if the target is of "evil" alignment (or of a certain race/class/whatever). Or something like the D&D Magic Missile that creates an additional projectile for every X levels the character has. Or to get really complex, something like Chromatic Orb that has a completely different effect based on the level of the caster; for example (I'm making this up as I don't have a Player's Handbook right by me) at 1st level it might do 1d6 damage, at 2nd level 1d8 damage plus stun the opponent, at 3rd level 2d6 damage plus paralysis, etc.

Or perhaps a spell might have different effects depending on the time of day that it is being used, how many hit points the caster has remaining, how far away the target is, whether the target is an ally or an enemy, if the caster possesses a certain magic item, if the target is unaware of the caster...

My impression from watching the video was that the spell actions essentially function as a stack, so I thought that a node-based editor would be a good way to handle the flow of conditional actions. Could also set it up so that the spell could (optionally) spawn a Playmaker or NodeCanvas FSM (or a FlowCanvas FlowScript) that could execute the spell actions. But providing support for those might end up being more work than just building a simple custom node editor (I don't know; I've never tried it). :)

Tryz likes this.
  43. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I was always a rogue, those skills are easier to manage.lol:p

TeagansDad and Tryz like this.
  44. Tryz

Tryz

I love those ideas. I'm not sure how far I'll get with them, but I believe in thinking big and then pulling back. :)

Exactly. I finished Fireball and I'm working on Fire Wall. Each one is causing me to create new "Spell Actions" that's improving the capabilities. I'm finding that I'm starting to create "utility" stack nodes as well.

So, you're exactly right about how its coming together. I'm just not sure how to create a Node Canvas-esque editor. I don't want this to turn into a 6 month project. So, I'll stick with the stack as long as I can (I think).

TeagansDad likes this.
  45. reocwolf

reocwolf

I think that there should be a "movable target" toggle for the spells that we'd like to have that function. For example if your spell spawns something in a location, there should be a target visualization that move along the scene for the spells that are allowed. That way I know where I am goin to spawn the slippery fluid, hole into the underworld, explosive mine rune or summoned creature. Thinking about non projectiles.

Also having spells that u can activate after the fact. Like c4. A spell that u spawn somewhere and wait for someone to be near and then activate. That could be reused later for actual c4.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  46. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

If it looks to be long and drawn out, might have sneak stealth cover actions in.(Just a show of patience on my part.lol or lack there of.LOL)

Tryz likes this.
  47. Tryz

Tryz

Funny. That's exactly what I'm working on right now for Fire Wall.

I'm trying different styles of spells to see what I run into. Placement was something I didn't think about until I realized I had to place the wall of fire. :)

Interesting... I didn't think of that. hmmmm....

I have to say, doing the spells is fun. :)

Hans, kurotatsu and reocwolf like this.
  48. Tryz

Tryz

hahaha... I don't want to spend a crazy amount of time on spells. I figure it's one of those things that could never end. :)

kurotatsu likes this.
  49. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Another (easier) concept for a fire wall is that it could just be defensive, where it drops x meters in front of where the spellcaster is facing based on their rotation, then they could run away.

Edit:

Also, make sure the send message variable is exposed in the editor to make it easy to send damage to multiple AI solutions.;)

Tryz likes this.
  50. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Thanks! Most of them are just examples from D&D spells (that I could think of off the top of my head).

I came across this open-source Node Editor Framework for Unity. Might be able to build on that or get some implementation ideas from it. But yeah, don't embark on anything that will turn it into a six month project. ;)

Tryz and kurotatsu like this.