Search Unity

Motion Controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

That's pimp. But alot of shizznits But if Mr Ootii could do that by all means please.

We dont have a magic controller lol it would be one of a kind. If not then

Maybe something very modular with options to add or modify. Cast time, radius of spells, target on spells, and a mp bar with a refresh MP pool with HP refresh.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  2. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Is that English? :p

3. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Lol

Hey the pro magic pack in mixamo more than enough for animations the thing though is adding our own spells, effects and such.

Tryz likes this.
  4. Tryz

Tryz

hahaha... you guys are cracking me up.

I'm not sure yet. With the Sword & Shield Motion Pack, defining attributes, items, and an inventory became important for having a complete solution we could expand on. So, magic will probably be the same thing.

I don't expect to create a "skill tree", but having effect, modifiers, and some motions (like levitation) would make sense.

Having a cost/mana system would also make sense, but I'd probably use an Attribute Source for that.

What I'll probably do is have some generic spell foundations: ranged attack, area-of-effect, attribute modifier, etc. This would be like what @relacon mentioned. Then I'd create specific spells to show how to expand on them: magic missile, poisonous fog, holy strength, etc.

To hold all of this, I might create the concept of a "grimoire" (think inventory for spells)... just thinking out loud.

I like the idea of random animations per spell or fixed. Sort of the way I did the attack styles.

As always, I'll use this for my game as well. So, it needs to be robust. :)

One thing I'm mulling over is skills vs. spells... are they different things or the same?

reocwolf, Hans and TeagansDad like this.
  5. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Different.

Skills would fit better under S&S, using the same criteria as spells, but you would want to incorporate them into your combo sets.

Tryz likes this.
  6. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Depends on the game. :)

In some games, spells are learned and improved the same way as skills (Arcanum comes to mind for CRPGs; GURPS for tabletop RPGs).

I think that most RPG spells are covered by those categories. One can always inherit from the base class to create the more unique spells.

Tryz and Hans like this.
  7. Szaruga

Szaruga

What captivated me in the MC (and what is not found in competitors) - possibility to easily connect my own system statistics, stamina, mana, hp, inventory etc. Please support this state of affairs. :)

The strength of MC - is (among other things) - much higher (than the competition) the ability to adjust it to your own unusual vision of the game :)

I need to believe in it :)

recon0303, Tryz, hopeful and 3 others like this.
  8. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

I'm going to bite final fantasy 7 materia system we're

Each spell is in a sphere that a weopon can equip. For

Example, sword one can have 3 sphere slots and you could have cure, fire, and shield magic in it. If that proves to be to hard I would simplify it. And make that later when my scripting skills improve

Tryz likes this.
  9. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

kurotatsu and Tryz like this.
  10. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

The materai system is still in my mind the best there ever was all around, or will be.(Even Fable copied it to an extent for upgrading your weapons)

I hated when they moved to skill trees, that's waaay to linear for my tastes, a materia like system allows for a more unique gameplay.

Tryz and ISH_the_Creator like this.
  11. christougher

christougher

Will you be using the Mixamo magic pack as the basis for animations like the last several packs?

12. Tryz

Tryz

Yes. They are way better than what I can do... and they are free. :)

christougher likes this.
  13. neoshaman

neoshaman

I always found that site useful for all my rpg design terminology, not because they are the definite agreed upon definition, but because it's well thought out in a way that actually help design.

http://rpg-design-patterns.speedykitty.com/doku.php/definitions

Skill is an overloaded word in the genre anyway, it can ever be a characteristic or an action. And then there is passive and active skills to blur the distinctions. I would say spell are action that use a consumable (potion, mana, ether, stamina), while skill is a permanently available actions you can learn (like using a sword, dealing more damage). But then you have game where skills are named distinctly from spells but have overlap in the list of things they do :confused:, generally the most agreed distinction is spell is magic and skills are physical, which is more an immersion distinction (maybe using different gauge source, like mana vs stamina), not an implementation or design difference lol.

/semantic

kurotatsu, Adrad and Tryz like this.
  14. Tryz

Tryz

I like resources like this. :)

Thanks!

TeagansDad, neoshaman and kurotatsu like this.
  15. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Maybe I set it up wrong but was unable to get jump in water on Xbox controller.

Unable to fire arrow, sword with mouse or Xbox controller. Using mount points and was using demo only. But on customon characters everything works

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  16. Tryz

Tryz

I just ran through them all and it's working here.

Make sure you've got "Use Xbox" checked on the the Input Source. Also, use this as a reference:
    http://www.ootii.com/Unity/MotionControllerPacks/SwordShield/InputMap.pdf

The smaller text is what should be setup in your Unity Input Manager. You may want to check that as well.

17. recon0303

recon0303

This:)

Tryz likes this.
  18. recon0303

recon0303

This is what brought many of us here.. I mainly make my own stuff controllers all the time, but since I wanted to save time and was able to add my own inventory, animations, stats, skills, what ever, is what made me use MC as well.. I agree it is better than any other controller due to this reason and Tim's support and how much time he spends on his assets.... Every few days I see updates, its crazy... how much he loves his assets.:) and so do we.:)

Took me almost a year to buy MC, since I was at first against buying controllers, since I always did them myself...Glad I did, buy MC , as I'm able to customize MC as much as I like. Which is what makes MC so great.

19. Tryz

Tryz

Inventory Pro Support!

If you head to the Vault, you'll see that I've added documentation and code to help integrate the MC and motion packs with Inventory Pro. Feel free to use this and Inventory Pro instead of my basic inventory solution.

I didn't do a ton of testing, but it seems to be working well. Happy New Years! :)

Also, a massive 'Thank you' to @TeagansDad and Mustafa. They really helped me a ton.

Malbers, antoripa, kurotatsu and 5 others like this.
  20. Hans

Hans

Dam Nice work TeagansDad, Mustafa & Tryz

Thanks alot

kurotatsu and Tryz like this.
  21. magique

magique

I'm seeing updates to all your assets almost daily. Any idea when this will settle down? I don't even want to try any of it again until it's settled in and fully stable with all the latest stuff.

22. Tryz

Tryz

It has settled.

I held off on some changes while waiting for Sword and Shield to release for fear of restarting the clock.

The last set was to help with the Inventory Pro integration and motion filtering.

My board is clear. You are good. ;)

antoripa, TeagansDad and magique like this.
  23. reocwolf

reocwolf

I was about to ask what did it add in regards of support to IP?

24. Tryz

Tryz

When you equip/store an item in Inventory Pro, the associated equip/store motion will trigger instead of Inventory Pro "popping" the item in and out. The motion will create the item as part of the normal animation flow and setup the character for the motion pack specific movement.

With this approach, you don't need the Basic Inventory component that I include in the MC.

Here's some instructions:
    www.ootii.com/UnityMotionVault.cshtml#InventoryPro

25. reocwolf

reocwolf

Hmm. I just tried (I only own the Archery MP) and I failed. lol Gonna keep trying to see why IP is not working for me. Prob something to do with the arrow? IDK. A vid tutorial or an example scene would be appreciated. Thank you.

26. Tryz

Tryz

I'm sure you did, but just to confirm...

Did you setup all the Inventory Pro entries that I mentioned in the docs?

I'll do a video in the next couple of days.

27. reocwolf

reocwolf

Yes. ootii equipment handler > create the 3 item stats > set the 3 stats on the item and set the path and motion names > set up the IP source > go to the equip/store motions and set the indexes

28. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@reocwolf - did you equip the arrows to the character's right hand?

Tryz likes this.
  29. reocwolf

reocwolf

Yes. I feel like I'm missing something stupid. I'll figure it out. Thanx.

30. Tryz

Tryz

Here you go. :)

Malbers, reocwolf, antoripa and 3 others like this.
  31. Szaruga

Szaruga

frequent changes = evidence of the rapid development ;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  32. Robaato

Robaato

Hey @Tryz! Have a quick question! First off, amazing asset all in all; I've been developing in 2D for a while and finally getting into the 3D element and I love how this is all set up. To the issue:

Opening up the MC_Simple scene and simply playing with what's there. When I Jump, Jones jumps appropriately, but then pressing Jump again, he gets stuck in the ground plane and the JumpRise animation is stuck in this loop:
    ootii_motioncontroller_stuck.png

On the first jump, this animation's substate machine plays through correctly the first time, so I'm sorta perplexed as to why it's getting stuck on the consecutive one?

I attempted following your quick-start vid by adding the component to Robot Kyle (as of which, was automatically supplied a capsule/sphere collider, which was different from the example scene Jones) and I still ended up with the same issue.

Do you think there's something that's changed on Unity's behalf that is affecting this weird behavior? I'm testing this on 5.5.0.

Thanks in advance!

33. Tryz

Tryz

Odd, I'm not seeing that.

I did the following:
    1. Started a new Unity 5.5.0f3 project
    2. Imported the latest MC
    3. Opened the "Assets\ootii\MotionController\Demos\Scenes\MC_Simple" scene
    4. Pressed the "Setup Input Entries" button on the MC
    5. Added the Jump motion to the motion list
    6. Pressed play.

I would keep jumping regular no problem. Then I started spamming the space-bar and he still jumped as expected.

When you say he's "stuck in the ground plane", do you mean his waist is stuck and it looks like he's crouching?

Could you send a screenshot to tim@ootii.com?

34. reocwolf

reocwolf

Thank you. I checked and I also had duplicates for the stats. I changed them to the ones in the bottom and it worked. So if anyone else is having trouble, thats something to look at. Haha wouldn't have realised without the vid.

Malbers and Tryz like this.
  35. recon0303

recon0303

yup, which I like , I see many assets with one update a year, and I hate that... I like seeing improvements all the time... NOT that big of a deal to click import ..to update your asset. Use GIT or some version control and your good to go..if you run into an issue...

Tryz likes this.
  36. magique

magique

It can also mean lots of bugs that need fixing. So, better to wait for a stable version instead of grabbing a buggy update. Anyway, Tryz assured me that it should be stable now. That's what I like to hear.

Tryz likes this.
  37. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

I use his entire stack of assets in my projects, and I've never once seen an update that I would classify as buggy. ootii products are rock-solid.

Tryz likes this.
  38. magique

magique

Don't get me wrong. I love his products too. I have several, but I personally like to make sure I only update to stable versions so I prefer to wait if I see lots of updates in sequence.

Tryz likes this.
  39. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

One thing I like about Ootii products is that any changes are well thought out, and tested to ensure they don't break something in any of their other products. That's why you'll often see Motion Controller, Camera Controller, and even some of the add-on motion packs all updating at the same time. If a change affects any other package, it gets updated to maintain compatibility.

While I've never seen a "buggy" Ootii release either, I'd say the most important thing to remember is to update all of their products at the same time. If you update the Archery pack for instance, make sure you also have the latest MC, CC, and any other Ootii packages you're using. As long as they're all from the same generation, they should all work together as intended. :)

antoripa, Tryz and TeagansDad like this.
  40. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Last night I played around with all of your assets. One word "QUALITY"

My only challenges I face now is to get mount points to work with the weapons although

I only tested it once. But now I can go into maya cut off body parts reskin gear, cloths etc to

Cut down on the poly count for example, "Why have a full body mesh with full body cloths

Right lol. And the other three challenges is learning node canvas for the AI. Then creating

Motions for NPC's that have there own battle, locomotive animations. And finally implementing

Adventure creator with motion controller, And it is compatible FTW. In all there's only one more

Pack I am longing for and that's magic pack pro. Oh yeh is Flow Canvas supported?

Great job Mr Ootii.

TeagansDad, kurotatsu and Tryz like this.
  41. Tryz

Tryz

I like that word. :D

Give me a shout if you do need help. With the sword and shield, make sure you use the "_mp" version of the prefabs as they are setup with Mount Points. You'll also have to make sure your characters' hand mount points are setup per the docs. But, you should be fine and I'm happy to help.

What do you currently use for AI?

The NC nodes can definitely be converted to BD ones. But, I also know there are other AI solutions on the way that will integrate with the MC. Right @kurotatsu ?

I don't have nodes built specifically for Flow Canvas, but it should. Basically, the NC actions and conditions should work or we just need to port them over. I can help if needed.

Already started. ;) I'm hoping to have an early alpha video in a week... maybe two.

kurotatsu likes this.
  42. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Have not done AI yet. But was looking at behavior designer, nottirus or node canvas. Nottorus is like UE4
    Blueprints but converts all nodes to scripts

Tryz likes this.
  43. Tryz

Tryz

Interesting. I haven't seen that before. I like the look.

44. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Tryz likes this.
  45. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I've created an AI that I know works, as Tim and I share beta testers.lol

I'm currently putting together a featured assets video showing what it can do along side Ootii's Sword and Shield, and just got confirmation last night from one(of the best testers ever, I might add.;)), that my newest compatibility test was successful.

Feel free to check it out here(It's submitted, and pending release on the asset store, it's going on 2 weeks so hopefully soon.):

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ai-warrior-submission-pending.447600/

46. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Dude that's cool. Good luck I'm buying

TeagansDad, Tryz and kurotatsu like this.
  47. Sluta

Sluta

New project + MC + Node Canvas + Flow Canvas + MC Node Canvas

Is that how it should be?

Attached Files:

48. Tryz

Tryz

I see what's going on. You probably got that during a build.

In SendCombatMessage.cs, I have the "using UnityEngine;" line (13) in the compiler directive. We need to move that out... say put it at line 2.

I updated the pack on the Vault.

49. antoripa

antoripa

I had the opportunity to use Nottorus for some days. Nothing related to AI.
    It is different from Unreal or anyother blueprint tool. Througth the use of reflection allow you to use any .NET class in a RAD enviroment. At the end Nottorus's output generate the *.cs file ...pure c# ....

Tryz likes this.
  50. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Tell me this I'm going to buy it but waiting for a sell or when I need to apply code. I know EU4 very well and it's blueprints. But prefere the unity way. It looks like
    Blueprints, I can't test it to see but is it a good asset regardless of price.

I mean if your in game dev your gonna pay a lot anyways

Pro software cost pro prices.

Faceshift = 1500$ a year

Maya 185$ a month or 4 k for 3 years and maya LT gimped no plug in support, no dynamics

Rigging is gimped, The whole thing is gimped for 20$ a month. Cool for basics but that's it.

Houdini like 8k

No pun to blender but no thanks