Search Unity

Motion Controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @Kenaz ,

There is a lot of stuff in the Framework_v1 folder and you're welcome to use it in your projects, but I don't have documentation specific to things like the Log, GraphicsManager, and extensions. The code itself should be well documented, but I don't have any separate documentation like I do for the MC itself. Think of that stuff as more "extras" for you to discover. :)

The Basic Inventory is an "extra" that is used with the motions packs. However, I'm including it in the MC since most of the motion packs will use it. You can certainly use it without the motion packs.

I do plan on having separate documentation for it, but for now you can look at the Archery documentation (page 15):
    http://www.ootii.com/Unity/MotionPacks/Archery/ArcheryUsersGuide.pdf

Yes. There's a lot of foundational things I'm adding into the SSMP that you can use with any weapon. I'm building it specifically for Mixamo's Pro Sword and Shield Pack, but with some tweaks you could definitely use it for other weapons.

In most of my packs, I tend to include lots of extra stuff. You're welcome to use it all, but I only document those things that are relative to the asset itself.

Kenaz, TeagansDad and hopeful like this.
  2. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

Hello guys, an integration for the DK UMA 2 avatars to be able to be controlled by the Ooti Motion Controller is ready. It will be added to the DK UMA Premium pack in early december.
    Let me know if you are interrested about that feature.

Hans and Tryz like this.
  3. hoodoo

hoodoo

Hi Tim - I just purchased your Motion Controller and the Swim Controller Pack. I'm looking forward to using this for Human Characters and Animal (4 legged) Characters. I opened the SMP_Demo scene to try out the swimming pack, but there is a Missing Prefab. Is there documentation on this or can you tell me how to fix the demo scene?

I am using Unity Personal Edition 5.4.2f2.

upload_2016-11-25_15-13-1.png

Thanks!

-Dave.

4. Tryz

Tryz

Very cool! Thank you. :)

5. Tryz

Tryz

Hi @hoodoo,

That happens when the Mixamo animations and character aren't downloaded for Y_Bot. The prefab is actually Mixamo's character.

On page 21 of the User's Guide (I just updated it today), there a step-by-step walk-through for downloading the Mixamo animations. They need to include Mixamo's Y_Bot and be downloaded as "FBX for Unity".
    http://www.ootii.com/Unity/MotionPacks/Swimming/SwimmingUsersGuide.pdf

I just did the walk-through this morning. So, I know you'll be fine once the assets are downloaded from Mixamo. :)

6. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Hey!
    Iam close to buy the archer pack but i got 1 question left:
    Can i also use it with a top down camera?
    I think aiming works like this: the arrow flies there the camera is looking at, right?
    But i need something like: aim where the mouse is pointing at.
    Is that possible?

edit: i was to impatient and just bought it :D
    so at the moment, it doesen't work out of the box for an 45° top down camera.

so, iam using this script as my camera controller: http://pastebin.com/eNDYDpJV
    for MC i use no CameraRig parent object, just pull out the "Main Camera" out of the Rig and paste this Script on there. then Rotation of The Camera to X:45 Y:45 Z:0 and thats it.
    in the Camera Controller i always disabled "rotate always" also dont forget to set the Player as Target. then drop the Main Camera in the Characters Motion Controller "Camera Rig" field and then you have my top down setup ;)

now i only have to use my mouse cursor as aiming point for the bow/arrow somehow. in the past i did it like this: http://pastebin.com/sT6x9hzR (the code is pretty rough and uncommented but works perfect, you can even aim up and down walls and obstacles with that)
    put this on an empty object, call it AIM or how you want, and it follows your mouse in the world.

so the only thing that i am missing now is: how can i let the archer always aim at the AIM gameobject with the script above?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    antoripa and Tryz like this.
  7. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @Der_Kevin ,

hahaha... I can understand. But, I wish you would have waited. :(

As you've found out, it shoots based on the direction of the camera. There is a 'quick shot', but that's still won't shoot based on the direction of a click.

Quick Answer:
    In Bow_WalkRunTarget is a function RotateToTarget. That takes a direction and will rotate the character to face a target over time. That's the meat of what you want to use.

Real Answer:
    What you're asking for isn't something it was built to do... yet. However, after Sword & Shield... that's where I was headed (for NPCs).

I'm thinking it means I need to replace Bow_WalkRunTarget and Bow_BasicAttacks with something that's camera independent.Unfortunately, this week is jam packed already.

Let's do this...

I have to finish the Sword & Shield Motion Pack and get that out to Unity for approval... probably Wed. Then, I have to do another task for a contract I'm under. After that, my plan was to get the Archery Pack usable for NPCs. I believe that will answer your questions.

So, give me a week and than I'll be working on exactly what you want. If you want to tackle this before than, I am happy to answer questions and point you in the right direction... they just need to be a bit more specific. :)

8. marcos

marcos

Hi Tim,

Just bought this, been playing around with it, pretty cool!

Just wondering if it's possible to have air control/rotation on the running jump in adventure setup?

Keen to see the improvements you make the this over time, the videos on your YouTube channel look super promising!

Kind regards,
    Mark

kurotatsu likes this.
  9. Tryz

Tryz

Thanks @marcos

I do have air controls for the standard jump, but the running jump I figured was more... static (if that's a good word for it).

I'll add the request to the list. As more people request features, changes, or packs, they bubble up the list.

If it's something you have to have, you could look at the regular Jump and try your hand at creating a custom motion. I'm happy to help point you in the right direction. :)

10. marcos

marcos

Thanks for the speedy reply! Yeah, I get you.

Was playing Rise of the Tomb Raider today, they seem to have quite an intense amount of air control on the jumps there, along with the extra niceness from tilting the torso in the direction you push, feels extra responsive.

I'll make a note of anything else that would be nice to have. In the meantime I'll have a dig into this custom motion business.

kurotatsu and Tryz like this.
  11. LunarExGames

LunarExGames

Yep, Tim is great. My emails were not getting to his inbox but it's all good now. Looking forward to the expansion packs!

Tryz likes this.
  12. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

okay, that sounds perfect to me. thank you!

Tryz likes this.
  13. pixelR

pixelR

Hello, did anyone try to connect this asset with cInput before? Is it possible?

14. Tryz

Tryz

Hi @pixelR ,

I haven't used cInput, but all may assets use an "input source". Basically, that's a wrapper for any input solution. This way, you could use Unity's input manager, Rewired, Easy Input, cInput, etc.

It's just a matter of creating the wrapper. Hopefully this video will help:

I don't own cInput, but if you want to tackle creating the "cInputInputSource"... I'm here to help.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  15. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi all,

New purchaser here.

Sorry if it's been asked but could anyone link me to any tutorials or videos on setting up with generic character rig (quadruped)

Thanks in advance.

Andy

16. Tryz

Tryz

Hey Andy,

I don't have any tutorials or videos on setting up a quadruped, but I know a couple of people are using it for wolves, dragons, etc. As long as your characters and animations can work with Mecanim, the MC can control them.

Just be prepared that you'll have to create custom motions. All the ones I include are for humanoids.

I'm going to add 'dog motions' to my list... it's something I've wanted to do for a while. But, I expect it will be a while (ie months) before I get to it.

I'm happy to help however I can. Feel free to post here or email me directly at tim@ootii.com.

antoripa, TeagansDad and AndyNeoman like this.
  17. recon0303

recon0303

its not much different than doing the humanoid , as Tim said you will need to make custom motions.. I use it for Deer, Wolves, and other animals. I don't have time to make any tuts.. I barely got time to spend with the family, i'm super busy sorry.. I have two company's to run.. and we are near release of our game. I'm behide on alot of contract work, and work I told people I would do..

I have a hard time telling people no, lol..

kurotatsu, TeagansDad and Tryz like this.
  18. antoripa

antoripa

Hello,
    MC is the right tool to build new abilites for character. I create for my new game a Dragon ( biped but non humanoid rig ) and for a wolf ...You can follow the template and the video from Tim about how create a new motion and after take a look to the existing one .. process is quite straigh forward and you can get help from many people ( Tim on top of those ) from this forum .. that's what I like using Ootii full stack products ( and the high quality , definetly )

19. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Thanks for that. Tim as been very helpful so i will agree with that.

I was wavering about whether i should have bought the Camera controller instead and built the mecanim controller to hook into that but i will add that to my wishlist in any case as it looks fantastic.

I may send you a pm if you would be willing to drop a few tips regarding the wolf. Mines not a wolf but it would help a lot as mecanim is not my strong point although i am learning.

Thanks for offering you advice :)

Tryz likes this.
  20. Tryz

Tryz

21. antoripa

antoripa

Come on guys.. 2 weeks ...really difficult wait so long ....
    Ok ... we are gonna come to your office and buy that amazing tool ...

Tryz likes this.
  22. magique

magique

Tim, is there a new video for the asset store page that you could show us now? The docs look fantastic and this certainly looks like a winner.

TeagansDad and Tryz like this.
  23. Tryz

Tryz

I will in a couple of days. :D

antoripa and magique like this.
  24. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi Tim/Antoripa,

Would I be right in thinking that I should use simple motion for all motions when creating new ones for my quadruped?

The tutorial shows pick up, and I have eating, and sleeping on buttons but if I want walk or run would they be done the same too?

antoripa likes this.
  25. Tryz

Tryz

You can certainly use it for something simple like eating and sleeping, but it won't work well for walking and running. The reason is that you want the motion to control the speed as well as rotations.

AndyNeoman likes this.
  26. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@AndyNeoman - I'd base those walk and run motions on the WalkRunPivot motion. Start by copy and pasting the code into a new file, copy paste and rename Animator sub state machine, rename the class, give it new Phase IDs and replace the animations with your quadruped animations and see how it looks.

Most likely there will be a number of states that don't have corresponding animations . You'll eventually just delete those.

There is a bit more to the process than what I've outlined, but that's the big picture view.

AndyNeoman likes this.
  27. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Thanks for that. The walk run is the bit im struggling with so i will try that setup.

28. recon0303

recon0303

antoripa and Tryz like this.
  29. recon0303

recon0303

Has anyone added a Stamina. with MC... Normally its super easy.. But thinking of adding one to our game, where once the bar reaches zero, it will return to walk, rather then run.. Once its gets say 1.2 stam or so on, back to run , back and forth.. and so on, you get the picture.

Hope that makes sense.... I know normally it makes sense... But trying to avoid recreating every single motion, if I can.. I have alot of my own motions, and will have to create something for this, but wondering if that would be the best way or can anyone suggest a better, easier way ?

I was going to do it like I typically do, but wondering if there is a different better way with MC, that I may be unaware .. Thanks.

PS: I know I will have to still make my own motion per say, and thinking I can use the run and walk animations. and a blend between as well.

Tryz likes this.
  30. Tryz

Tryz

I thought I'd share more about the Sword & Shield Motion Pack.

The next video will go over the components and flow.

31. recon0303

recon0303

Tim, are you making a pack with just sword or dagger, or should this work just fine with out a shield?? I know some edits would need to happen if so... Just asking, since I have no interest in the shield part for my current game.

32. Tryz

Tryz

I do want to do some that are just sword. But the only animations I'm finding are Kubold's. They look great, but that means people will have to fork out $65 for them. I know how pricey everything gets. :(

You can totally use the Sword & Shield Motion Pack without the shield. That's actually what the goblin is using. His left arm is held up as if he has the shield, but I don't think that looks bad.

To use it without the shield, you just take his shield out of the inventory or remove the shield entry from the weapon set that is being equipped.

You can also add your own combat animations and setup "attack styles". I'll be showing more of that in the next video.

33. recon0303

recon0303

K, just wanted to be sure before I buy it when it releases.. Ya 65 bucks is nothing for animations if someone doesnt know how.... Animations can take a long time...I'm about to invest in 2k of hardware and software for new MoCap , Neuron.

Then, if you dont have motion Builder or Maya, that can cost alot ... Maya cost me 4k when I bought it, but they have the Steam version for those that cant afford the sub ...So again 65 bucks is nothing compared to the amount of work we animators do.... I personally plan to start selling mine on the store next year . Going to do a list of them, and mostly stuff not on the store . Soon as I get all my Mo Cap stuff again, I will be getting busy.... I lost/expired my contract to the stuff I had before, So think its worth it for me to invest to go ahead and get it...I been getting alot of people asking me for animations anyways.. Contract related and others...Sword ones, are easier to do with MoCap, to make them look more natural.. Some I still key frame anyways. with out Mocap, but they aren't combat related..

TeagansDad, kurotatsu and Tryz like this.
  34. Tryz

Tryz

I agree.

The Asset Store is definitely an interesting eco-system. Some people won't think twice about spending the $65 if it moves things forward while others have a hard time spending $5.

I'm looking forward to seeing the animations you release! The Asset Store is hurting for high-quality animations that really line-up right. Kubold's are the best so far.

35. recon0303

recon0303

yup, I hear you about the whole $5 if anyone is serious most shouldnt have a problem, you have some saying I can do it myself which was myself for years, until I realized hey this is taking me way to long so spend the 65 bucks or spend 3 months?? Lol, so some tools are an easy pick.

Ya I tend to have to fix peoples rigs, animations alot I get a ton of contract work, to many assets use these auto riggers, some can do a decent job, but still not the best result all the time from what I have seen.. Animations can be a pain to get right for combat related and others... I have seen a few assets with characters where the rig bends at the middle of the stomach causing the animation to look really off and cause clipping of clothes, and much more when you skin weight etc.

Kobolds look pretty decent and never had anyone ask me to fix, so that's a good thing.

Tryz likes this.
  36. potatojin

potatojin

Tim,

Thinking of converting my quadrupedal character to Motion Controller. I know it will take time and effort but I'm comfortable with that.

One quick question re: interaction with rigidbodies: If I want my character to apply force to rigidbodies, like bits of debris on the ground, boxes that get toppled when bumped, etc., what would be the best way of achieving that with MC?

Thanks!

37. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @potatojin ,

You can put a rigidbody on the MC character if needed... you just have to disable gravity and set it to 'Is Kinematic'. I know Unity has some rules about what kinds of rigidbodies can effect what. So, you may need to put rigidbodies on the boxes as well.

antoripa likes this.
  38. Tryz

Tryz

This is the second part to the video I did yesterday. This one is more about how it works...

Enjoy. :)

39. Tryz

Tryz

Sorry for the quick turn around on the MC updates. I'm just trying to make sure everything's good when Sword & Shield is approved. :)

TeagansDad and Hans like this.
  40. recon0303

recon0303

? sorry confused.?

Updates are a good thing... even if small in my opinion, it shows you care about your tools...

TeagansDad, Hans and Tryz like this.
  41. Rusted_Games

Rusted_Games

Hello Tim,
    From Archer Pack AMP_MP_Demo scene I'm getting a missing (Mono Script) Component under the Y_Bot Player Inspector, I'm pretty sure it's only debug kind of script, could you confirm?
    The rest of the demo scenes are okay.

42. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @alardaen , that's the Mount Points demo. So, the missing component is probably Mount Points.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/16318

If you don't own Mount Points, you'll just want to stick with the other demos.

(In the title of that demo, it should say "Required Mount Points")

43. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Mr Ootii, I know your busy. Is it possible for you to do a video on how to combine all your assets as one with a custom character MORPH 3D or mixamo.

Or a demo scene were the character has archer, swim, sword and shield with mount points all working.

As of late I been getting errors. Maybe it's that I had one license installed on my MacBook Pro when I was trying to use it on my Mac Pro desktop. On the windows machine it works but swimming didn't work.

The water layer only worked on default for character only, But when using the horse anim assets that's compatible with MC2 it Uses water layer only

44. Tryz

Tryz

Sure.

I'm working on a Sword & Shield web demo. When I'm done with that, I'll put together a combined demo.

With swimming, I would say the biggest thing is to make sure your layers are correct. Meaning, ensure the Actor Controller isn't grounding or colliding with the water layer.

When you say you've been getting error, is it actual errors you can share (like line numbers) or is it just not working how you'd expect?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    antoripa and TeagansDad like this.
  45. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

More so not working on Mac. Windows it works but won't swim.

And I got an instance error.

It could be hardware related.

46. Tryz

Tryz

Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac. But I've not heard of any differences before.

The "won't swim" is odd. I have a feeling we're just missing a setting. Can you send the project to tim@ootii.com? If it's too big, maybe some screen shots on how the water and character are setup.

47. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Ok will do.

48. nirvanajie

nirvanajie

49. recon0303

recon0303

Congrats to the winners, and welcome !

Tryz likes this.
  50. Tryz

Tryz

Hi @nirvanajie ,

There are some big differences between the Unity particle features for 5.4 and previous versions. One of these has to do with the 3D rotation of particles.

That's why the Swimming Motion pack says it requires Unity 5.4. You can use it with 5.3... except the particles.

You'll have to setup the particle effects to use features supported in Unity 5.3. The particles are held in the following folder:
    ootii/MotionControllerPacks/Swimming/Content/Resources/Prefabs.

You'll find I put the particle systems as children under the main prefabs:
    SurfaceRipples.Ripples
    SurfaceSplash.Ripples
    SurfaceSplash.Splash
    Underwater.Bubbles

The materials and textures are found under
    ootii/MotionControllerPacks/Swimming/Content/Materials
    ootii/MotionControllerPacks/Swimming/Content/Textures

Everything will work. You'll just have to recreate the particle effects to your liking.

If you want to remove the effects, simply delete the particle systems from the prefabs.