Search Unity

Most efficient way to display large scatter plots?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by mikewarren, May 11, 2016.

1. mikewarren

mikewarren

I'd like to use Unity as a rendering platform to display scientific data as a large collection of scatter plot points. I tried the brute force method of just creating a cube primitive (no colliders) at each point, but the frame rate falls below 10 FPS by about 35K objects (on my machine). In practice, I'd like the plot points to have different shapes and materials, but a few dozen icons would suffice. (I want them to be 3D objects, and to be able to move.)

What would be the best way to tackle the problem? I see that GPU instancing is coming in June and while I know nothing about it, it sounds like just what I need. Regardless, I'm looking to learn more about how the lower level rendering engine works, so really, it's just a curiosity to me.

Thanks in advance.

2. vikankraft

vikankraft

I dont think unity is a good tool at all for information visualization but I would recomend parallell coordinates or something similar to display them. If you wanna display the points anyway, use points and not primitives. Its slow because unity creates new game objects for each primitive I would wager.

3. mikewarren

mikewarren

I wouldn't be surprised if there's significant overhead in managing a large list of game objects. That's why I'm wondering what would be the most efficient way to produce the same type of visual. It's more effort, but I could create the entire plot with a procedural mesh. Maybe that's a better way.

I don't want straight point plots. Size and orientation are too important to interpreting 3D spatial relationships, and eventually, I'd like the points to be represented by simple mesh icons.

4. vikankraft

vikankraft

I see. Maybe a Vector field or something similar would be interesting for you they help displaying size and orientation and you could add more complexity. I wish I were better at these things..

5. MV10

MV10

Realistically how many data points do you expect to graph?

Will you control the hardware? From what I've read (might be wrong) I'm under the impression that instancing only works on relatively recent desktop GPUs. Ah, from Unity: "Windows, Mac and Linux with D3D11/D3D12/GL4.1"

If only a subset of the objects are visible at any given time, the CullingGroup API might be helpful:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CullingGroupAPI.html

Can you turn off shadow casting/receiving? Can you use an unlit shader?

Check this out:

https://github.com/keijiro/KvantSpray

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Try using the particle system and SetParticles. Should be able to chew through 35k without too much trouble, depending on hardware of course

If you want different icons then use a single material with an atlas texture and the UVmodule to set the texture for each sprite.

7. mikewarren

mikewarren

@karl_jones,

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you happen to have an example that illustrates your suggestion?
    i did some experimentation with the particle system. It's been a while, but I remember it being a good solution up to maybe 200K points.

FWIW,

I cobbled together an example using geometry shader examples from the web.

I create a point topology mesh at run time representing each data point. (Data is sorted into meshes that draw using the same material.) I then use a shader to render the point as a 3D object (cubes or whatever shape you can insert into the pipeline programmatically. I'd like to come up with a way to model and import 3D icons and draw them in a similar way. Maybe through GPU instancing?)

The best performance I've gotten has been to create 2D billboards that face the camera and are textured to look 3D. The spheres here are just textures. Since, it's symmetrical, most people don't detect that it's turning and is really 2D. (Only graphics people who notice the lighting doesn't change figure it out.)

This example draws 3.7M points at frame rates consistently above 60 FPS. Usually closer to 100FPS. Frame rate drop off has been more or less linear with the number of points.
    upload_2016-9-9_9-51-7.png

upload_2016-9-9_10-5-57.png

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

It sounds like particles will not be able to help in this use case, there is a limit in the thousands for 3d mesh particles and 2d ones are going to struggle to compete with what you already have.
    We do have an instancing solution in 5.5 and some improvements in 5.6 that would be better suited here. In 5.6 we are adding DrawMeshInstancedIndirect. @richardkettlewell is in the process of adding this and said he would be happy to offer some guidance on getting it working for you once 5.6 is available(no eta yet). So if your timeline allows it then its worth waiting for 5.6.

9. mikewarren

mikewarren

Thanks @karl_jones.

No problem. I'll look for it in 5.6. I'm still in the learning phase with shaders and GPU instancing, so I'm not proficient enough to ask for help yet.

Eventually, I'm going to want to interact with nodes that I'm plotting which normally would mean raycasting. I'm assuming that something like a mesh collider isn't going to work in a situation where a geometry shader is used. Any suggestions on where I might look for a solution?

10. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

You could try using simple colliders(box or sphere). The physics system is not an area i'm am very familiar with so I dont know how well it would perform under your circumstances. It may be better to detect the mouse location in the world and use some sort of spatial algorithm such as octree to determine the nearest particle and if its interacted with.

11. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

I've done some tests on how many instanced meshes we can expect to render, using our new "procedural" instancing. (Unity 5.6) This is where you will be able to provide your instancing data from custom sources eg a StructureBuffer, instead of supplying/updating matrix arrays etc via the CPU. It will allow you to generate instance data on the GPU, for example, and removes all per-instance CPU code paths.

So, if I use an instanced version of the Standard Shader, I can achieve around 800,000 cubes at 30fps.

But, the Standard Shader does a lot of stuff you may not need. So, if I use a simple custom shader, I can render over 2 million cubes at over 30fps on a GTX 980. If you want more complex meshes/shaders, this will severely impact how many items you can render, but conversely, there are also faster GPU's available than a GTX 980 :)

And here's a preview of what the script/shader might look like:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class ExampleClass : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public int instanceCount = 500000;
    7.     public Mesh instanceMesh;
    8.     public Material instanceMaterial;
    10.     private int cachedInstanceCount = -1;
    11.     private ComputeBuffer positionBuffer;
    12.     private ComputeBuffer argsBuffer;
    14.     void Update() {
    16.         // Update starting position buffer
    17.         if (cachedInstanceCount != instanceCount)
    18.             OnValidate();
    20.         // Render
    21.         instanceMaterial.SetBuffer("positionBuffer", positionBuffer);
    22.         Graphics.DrawMeshInstancedIndirect(instanceMesh, 0, instanceMaterial, new Bounds(Vector3.zero, new Vector3(100.0f, 100.0f, 100.0f)), argsBuffer);
    23.     }
    25.     void OnGUI() {
    27.         GUI.Label(new Rect(265, 25, 200, 30), "Instance Count: " + instanceCount.ToString());
    28.         instanceCount = (int)GUI.HorizontalSlider(new Rect(25, 20, 200, 30), (float)instanceCount, 0.0f, 5000000.0f);
    29.     }
    31.     void OnValidate() {
    33.         // positions
    34.         positionBuffer = new ComputeBuffer(instanceCount, 16);
    35.         Vector4[] positions = new Vector4[instanceCount];
    36.         for (int i=0; i < instanceCount; i++)
    37.         {
    38.             float angle = Random.RandomRange(0.0f, Mathf.PI * 2.0f);
    39.             float distance = Random.RandomRange(20.0f, 100.0f);
    40.             float height = Random.RandomRange(-2.0f, 2.0f);
    41.             float size = Random.RandomRange(0.05f, 0.25f);
    42.             positions[i] = new Vector4(Mathf.Sin(angle) * distance, height, Mathf.Cos(angle) * distance, size);
    43.         }
    44.         positionBuffer.SetData(positions);
    46.         // indirect args
    47.         uint numIndices = (instanceMesh != null) ? (uint)instanceMesh.GetIndexCount(0) : 0;
    48.         uint[] args = new uint[5] { numIndices, (uint)instanceCount, 0, 0, 0 };
    49.         argsBuffer = new ComputeBuffer(1, args.Length * sizeof(uint), ComputeBufferType.IndirectArguments);
    50.         argsBuffer.SetData(args);
    52.         cachedInstanceCount = instanceCount;
    53.     }
    54. }
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader "Instanced/InstancedShader" {
    2.     Properties {
    3.         _MainTex ("Albedo (RGB)", 2D) = "white" {}
    4.     }
    5.     SubShader {
    7.         Pass {
    9.             Tags {"LightMode"="ForwardBase"}
    11.             CGPROGRAM
    13.             #pragma vertex vert
    14.             #pragma fragment frag
    15.             #pragma multi_compile_fwdbase nolightmap nodirlightmap nodynlightmap novertexlight
    16.             #pragma target 4.5
    18.             #include "UnityCG.cginc"
    19.             #include "UnityLightingCommon.cginc"
    20.             #include "AutoLight.cginc"
    22.             sampler2D _MainTex;
    24.         #ifdef SHADER_API_D3D11
    25.             StructuredBuffer<float4> positionBuffer;
    26.         #endif
    28.             struct v2f
    29.             {
    30.                 float4 pos : SV_POSITION;
    31.                 float2 uv_MainTex : TEXCOORD0;
    32.                 float3 ambient : TEXCOORD1;
    33.                 float3 diffuse : TEXCOORD2;
    34.                 float3 color : TEXCOORD3;
    35.                 SHADOW_COORDS(4)
    36.             };
    38.             v2f vert (appdata_full v, uint instanceID : SV_InstanceID)
    39.             {
    40.                 float4 data = positionBuffer[instanceID];
    42.                 float3 localPosition = v.vertex.xyz * data.w;
    43.                 float3 worldPosition = data.xyz + localPosition;
    44.                 float3 worldNormal = v.normal;
    46.                 float3 ndotl = saturate(dot(worldNormal, _WorldSpaceLightPos0.xyz));
    47.                 float3 ambient = ShadeSH9(float4(worldNormal, 1.0f));
    48.                 float3 diffuse = (ndotl * _LightColor0.rgb);
    49.                 float3 color = v.color;
    51.                 v2f o;
    52.                 o.pos = mul(UNITY_MATRIX_VP, float4(worldPosition, 1.0f));
    53.                 o.uv_MainTex = v.texcoord;
    54.                 o.ambient = ambient;
    55.                 o.diffuse = diffuse;
    56.                 o.color = color;
    57.                 TRANSFER_SHADOW(o)
    58.                 return o;
    59.             }
    61.             fixed4 frag (v2f i) : SV_Target
    62.             {
    63.                 fixed shadow = SHADOW_ATTENUATION(i);
    64.                 fixed4 albedo = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv_MainTex);
    65.                 float3 lighting = i.diffuse * shadow + i.ambient;
    66.                 fixed4 output = fixed4(albedo.rgb * i.color * lighting, albedo.w);
    67.                 UNITY_APPLY_FOG(i.fogCoord, output);
    68.                 return output;
    69.             }
    71.             ENDCG
    72.         }
    73.     }
    74. }

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Grizmu, mikewarren and karl_jones like this.
  12. mikewarren

mikewarren

@richardkettlewell that's awesome! Love it.

I get about a million cubes at 30 fps on a Quadro K5000 using a cube geometry shader (similar performance). Looks like your work will make it much simpler to draw complex shapes.

Are there any plans to integrate your work with the physics system so that I can raycast against shapes drawn with DrawMeshInstancedIndirect?

upload_2016-9-13_7-29-21.png

13. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

It would probably be infeasible to integrate our CPU physics with something like this, if you want an interactive fps. All the data here is kept on the GPU for efficiency, so I would recommend a GPU based system for any kind of collision testing.

Sadly Unity doesn't offer anything for this that I know of, but there are algorithms that tackle this kind of problem.
    Eg, if your point cloud is static, a simple(ish) approach is to sort it according to the positions along 1 axis, and then your raycasts can binary search for the relevant points to test against. If your point cloud is dynamic, you would need to re-sort the data on each frame, instead of just once at the beginning.

karl_jones likes this.
  14. mikewarren

mikewarren

Thanks for the suggestion. The GPU is still a bit of a black box to me, so I need to do some research.

15. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

mikewarren and karl_jones like this.
  16. mikewarren

mikewarren

I don't quite understand GPU instancing yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
    Great job, thanks!

17. hangemhigh

hangemhigh

This just got released today. Love it. Can you apply animation to this?

richardkettlewell likes this.
  18. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

It's your responsibility to provide the instance data to the shader, or to procedurally generate it. (See the setup function in the docs example: https://docs.unity3d.com/560/Documentation/ScriptReference/Graphics.DrawMeshInstancedIndirect.html)

So, it's totally possible to apply animation. E.g. via a ComputeShader that iterates over the instance data and manipulates it in some way. Eg you could specify an "attractor point" and write a compute shader that drags all the positions in the instance buffer towards that point. If that point is a Game Object, you can move it around and watch all the instances follow it around :)

karl_jones likes this.
  19. hangemhigh

hangemhigh

Thanks. Will try that.

20. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Not sure if you are still following this, but for either geometry shader version or once you get DrawMeshInstanced or DrawMeshInstancedDirect working i'd recommend an alternative to raycasting for purely 'selection' based detection ( i.e. detect mouse hits), since a physics or maths based system will generally struggle or require considerable effort to make it run efficiently.

Basically you'd render the scene again into a renderTexture and assign every instance a unique color value, or better yet just use the instance_ID value as a color. Then all you need to do is a screen pixel lookup of the color in the renderTexture to get its 'ID'. Once the ID is known you can then do whatever you need to the node back in your main code.

Obviously rendering the instances twice is going to drop performance, though a custom shader for the renderTexture that is bare minimum will help here ( i.e surface shader would be overkill). Also you probably only want to render to the renderTexture on a mouseDown, no point rendering it every frame waiting for a mouse click.

Now i've used this process in the past but I think I was limited to either 255 or 65535 objects meaning I could use a simple 8 bit or 16 bit renderTexture. If you are rendering millions of nodes then that wont work. Pretty sure a R32Float would suffice though, but i'd double check the renderTexture formats to see if there is anything more suitable.

The final problem to solve then would be the read back of the color value for the pixel from a non-RGBA32 format. That isn't something i've had to do and i'm unsure if Unity's readPixel can deal with those. I guess worse case a computeShader could work, but that seems a bit overkill. Maybe someone else has experience of doing this can chime in.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    richardkettlewell and MV10 like this.
  21. MV10

MV10

Is there a reason you wouldn't just render the texture at 2X resolution and store the ID into two pixels? It's two readPixel operations but if it's a mouse-down sort of thing, it isn't happening often enough that the extra overhead should be a problem.

Rewaken and Noisecrime like this.
  22. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

That is an interesting alternative, though it would not be 2x resolution, it would just need to be double the width or height ( since 2x would be 4 pixels to every 1 in the original).

Certainly as a fallback it might be something to consider, but i'm pretty sure using a computeShader to read the pixel and return the value as an int for a readback would be cleaner and probably faster than doing a readPixels() on such a larger rendertexture. I'm just thinking that there might also be an even simpler solution to the readback that we are missing.

MV10 likes this.
  23. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

That sounds quite specific and not likely to work on all platforms(Compute shaders).
    Perhaps there is a place for this on the asset store ;)

24. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

So out of curiosity, I've created a project that uses rendering the objects to a RenderTexture and colors as a unique ID. Its a proof-of-concept, so its not pretty and the code as well as the design could be improved.

It seems to work correctly returning the ID's for any object, but its not been extensively tested. Simple tests appear to return ID values in the expected range ( e.g. with 1 object I get ID:0, with 255 objects I get values between 0 and 255 etc).

It uses a RGBA RenderTexture and encodes the instance_ID into a RGBA value. I don't use alpha component as I wanted to be able to overlay the RenderTexture on the screen to ensure it aligned and matched with the actual rendering. Even so it still supports up to 16,777,214 unique ID's. I then use ReadPixels() to read the desired single pixel into a standard Texture which can then be queried with getPixel().

You can find the project here https://github.com/noisecrime/Unity-InstancedIndirectExamples

Its for Unity 5.6 and is based on the DrawMeshInstanceIndirect examples from Unity's documentation. I've added some additions and fixes ( see - https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/drawmeshinstancedindirect-example-comments-and-questions.446080/)

The project has two scenes, the first is an expanded version of the DrawMeshInstanceIndirect example, the second builds on it with allowing for pick/selection of the instanced meshes and their ID.

As expected when picking, rendering the entire instance again for say 1,000,000 objects does drop the framerate, typically and not unexpectedly it will halve the framerate for that frame. This is noticeable if the scene is not static. However the point of this was not to create an efficient picking system ( a custom raycast against an octree or KD-Tree might perform better if the objects are static may be more efficient), but an easy and quick system to get picking up and running. More so it offers a very good option when as in this case the object position is being driven from inside a shader, so that data is not even on the cpu with which to use a raycast.

MV10 likes this.
  25. MV10

MV10

At 1920x1080 that's rendering more than 2 million pixels you don't actually need... Would it be better to go in the other direction? Feed the mouse coords into the shader and figure out the hit as a side effect of the other processing you have to do anyway...

26. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Maybe. Trouble is beyond working out a good way to do that, is getting the result back to the cpu. You could easily ( I think) brute force checking against spheres ( maybe cubes) in a computeShader and return the result in a RWBuffer. There might be other methods too, but like I said originally, this was just a quick and easy way to integrate picking. It took a little longer than expected due to use of DrawMeshInstanceIndirect, meaning I had to change how I approached the problem.

There are probably ways to improve the method I suggested. I seem to remember in opengl their is a scissor test that will exclude rendering outside of a sub area of the viewport. Don't think that is available in Unity, but maybe there is way to replicate it. That would reduce number of pixels rendered.

I guess maybe a stencil test could achieve something similar, though i've not worked with them in deferred mode and I know that can be a bit tricky as Unity uses the stencil buffer itself ( or used to).

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  27. JustBecauseGames

JustBecauseGames

Hey Mike,
    Can you share the code you used to do this? I am trying to display sonar data as 2d billboards but am new to the billboard usage. I won't have nearly 3.7M points. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Joe

28. mikewarren

mikewarren

Joe,

Not blowing you off. Looking for the sample.

How many billboards do you need for your data? You can always do it with regular quads use LookAt in an update script.

Mike

29. felipeapedroso

felipeapedroso

@Noisecrime and @richardkettlewell, I'm also trying to create scatterplots using the DrawMeshInstancedIndirect but the points always disappear when I change the focus from Unity window or the points get out of view (same behavior reported here). When I run the project @Noisecrime created everything works fine, but nothing that I'm trying with my project works to keep the points visible. Do you have any idea what can be done to fix it?

30. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

If it’s the issue described in the other thread (bindings being lost, only for compute buffers, and not the buffer contents, and broken in newer Unity versions) then I would report a bug, as it sounds wrong. At least we can verify the expected behaviour this way, to be sure.