Search Unity

Assets Modular Cartoon Construction Kit

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Graphics_Dev, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

Make sure you set the YouTube resolution to 720p...

I am finishing up a modular cartoon kit (hopefully for the asset store) with mostly road assets at this point. I currently have the following road setup:

Ground level - turns, straight, etc.
    Level 1 - turns, straight, etc.
    Level 2 - turns, straight, etc.

For each of these levels, there are ramps to go up and down from them as pictured above, and there are turns, straights, 3-way intersections, and 4-way intersections. The road types are shown below:

In my opinion, the roads are most important, but I would definitely appreciate your opinion.

I will post a few more shots in a second...I would really appreciate feedback on how to fill these environments in better because I think they are currently looking kinda plain. As you can see from the screenshots, I've modeled lots of different trees, rocks, etc., but I still think it needs more.

Perhaps it's the buildings that I'm missing...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

More screenshots:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  3. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

One more thing...I wrote a C# script to automatically spawn the grid of grass tiles, then fill in trees and rocks without putting them on the roads. This script was used to create all of the demo scenes shown above. Also, I made a simple snap to grid script to make quickly throwing a scene together a lot easier.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  4. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

Here are the current rock types:

5. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

Current tree selection:

I would love to hear your opinion :)

6. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

I just uploaded a YouTube demo :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  7. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

Let me know if you have any questions...:confused:

8. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

I've been real busy, but here are a few trees I had a chance to make last night...

New trees include the evergreens and the palms...see image above for difference.

BTW, did I mention I really want feedback...

00Fant likes this.
  9. Billy4184

Billy4184

I think the tree and rock shapes could be improved, at the moment they don't have a lot of expression of the shape of real trees. Also the rocks just seem a little too random.

I think the main thing is to look for the most expressive features of the real objects that you're creating from, and find a way to transfer it to your low poly models, exaggerating if required. And keep them neat, for example the left tree in the pic above has a jarringly misplaced vertex at the bottom left.

In my limited experience with lowpoly, it's not easy to do something eye-catching, and since there is so little geometry the shape really has to be perfect. Keep at it!

10. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@Billy4184 Thanks so much! I'll work on that...:)

11. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

After a very long pause, sigh...

I've done a bit of work with the trees...will post pictures when I get new models. Also, I am adding a few street signs (the street names are editable). Here are some examples:

12. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

Here are the skies ATM: sunset, midday (cloudy/clear), night.

13. mcmikecreations

mcmikecreations

This looks very impressive, the placement system is a bit rough, but other than that everything looks very nice. Is there a chance I can get a hold of this asset to try it out?

14. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@mcmikecreations Thanks! I am hoping to submit this to the asset store in the next week so I will let you know when it is available. I plan to have a discounted introductory price. By "placement system", I believe you mean placing the road pieces? I am hoping to write an extension to automatically generate road systems in the future. I'd love to hear any suggestions you have for that.

15. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

Here are the trees...

16. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

Just submitted version to the asset store!!! If history repeats itself, this package will be available in a week or so...:D

17. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

18. mcmikecreations

mcmikecreations

Gendearing get roads and stuff is fairly simple, for example, based on a node system. If you need any help, pm me and I'll write it in no time.

19. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@mcmikecreations Thanks for the offer, however, I think we can handle it quite easily as well. I already have a decent graph framework from when I had been working on getting my maze add-on for Blender (written in Python) into Unity (C#).

https://blendermarket.com/products/ultimaze-pro

I will take the advice and get to work on it shortly. :cool: Thanks again! :p

20. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev