Search Unity

MMO, Help!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by SFpreAlpha, Nov 22, 2016.

1. SFpreAlpha

SFpreAlpha

I currently what to create an MMORPG. Ive created 1 Boss, Swords, Characters, Mobs, and a few levels, along with quest items & other various objects. Im interested as to how i will be able gain the knowledge or find a guide on creating an mmorpg with Unity, i don't want to pay for a service like photon so id like to create my own server logins etc. I was wondering if anyone could construct list of things i should create in order to bring my plans into fruition. I have all my concept work completed and I'm very interested in making my dream mmo come true.

2. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

You'll need to pay for something, whether it's your own rented server, or unity services, or photon. What storage system are you planning on using for these server logins; mysql, mssql, flat files? and where will they be hosted?

3. mischa2k

mischa2k

I asked myself the same question 1.5 years ago.
    The short answer: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ummorpg-official-thread.376636/
    The long answer: read through the UNET manual, understand it completely. Read through the HLAPI source to get a basic overview. Try something small like player health SyncVars, then go from there.

SFpreAlpha likes this.
  4. SFpreAlpha

SFpreAlpha

With uMMORPG Am i able to publish the game? Because I wouldn't think so ..

5. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

There still isn't an option where you don't need to pay for something. You need a hosted server and database as a minimum.

6. mischa2k

mischa2k

What do you mean? The development is the hard part, publishing is just one click on the Build button, and perhaps hosting the server somewhere.

7. SFpreAlpha

SFpreAlpha

sorry, i mean is it allowed?

8. mischa2k

mischa2k

Sure, that's whole point.
    Generally speaking: you aren't allowed to put any Asset Store products' source code on Github or anything, but you are allowed to use them in your own game.

9. ZTB

ZTB

Do you need help with the non-technical side? Story? Lore?