Search Unity

MMO game development

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by kashiftasneem, May 16, 2017.

1. kashiftasneem

kashiftasneem

Hello guys. I have been using Photon Cloud for quite a while now and am very much satisfied with it. Now, we are planning to develop MMO game for that I researched and found Photon Server and Ulink. I would prefer Photon Server because of its pricing. I have done work only on client side so server side programming is new to me. I have few questions related to this:

1. Which one should I use? Photon Server or Ulink or any other and why?

2. Photon Server has MmoDemo example. Is this enough or would I have to extend it according to my requirements?

3. The Ulink example Snowbox has a server implementation as a Unity scene. Is it good enough?
    Thanks in advance.

2. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

How many players do you want to play simultaneously together? Cause Photon is Room-based with a max of 20 players per room. I asked them about it a while ago.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Ulink's last release was in March 2014. Even though I liked it at the time, it is apparently dead today.

Photon's infrastructure is built around the idea of setting up short term small matches. That will work for match based MMO's like World of Tanks, but probably is a bad choice for open world MMO's.

I'm currently building an open world MMO with UNET, but I have had to build out my own system of master server, database, zone servers, inter-server communication, etc. It is a lot of work, but is doable.

4. kashiftasneem

kashiftasneem

Players will be more than 50. Isn't 20 players per room for Photon Cloud only? Photon server should not have such a limit.

5. kashiftasneem

kashiftasneem

Thanks. Even Photon Server has such limits?

6. TwoTen

TwoTen

For a larger MMO my suggestion would be Unet LLAPI, Enet or RakNet. They are all good solutions for game networking.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Master Server is already has been written by devs. https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/master-server-sample-project.331979/