Search Unity

Missing Normal maps...

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by KevalrOxy, May 26, 2017.

1. KevalrOxy

KevalrOxy

I am using the free version of Unity 5.6.1f1, and I know this used to be an issue long ago, but is it still in there? After I have baked my lightmaps, my normal maps disappear. See image below (spot the difference). I model and set up my uvs in Max. Painstakingly create beautiful maps in Substance. Then I set up my materials in Unity, for it to be wiped out at lighting time. Seems odd. Can anybody tell me why this happens and if there is a fix for it? Really appreciate it.

Normal_Issue_markup.jpg

2. bgolus

bgolus

Humorously, your cropping of that image made it harder to answer your question. The information we would need to see to better answer your question is the lighting window settings just to the right. Mainly what the "directional mode" is. If it's non-directional, that's the problem, you need to use one of the other options for normal maps to work with baked lighting.

3. KevalrOxy

KevalrOxy

Ah... thanks bgolus. Sorry I snipped it... I stupidly didn't think about that lol. I'm not at that PC right now so I can't check it, but as soon as I get back later, I will take a look and let you know. Thanks for your response, very much appreciated.

4. KevalrOxy

KevalrOxy

Hi bgolus. I checked and it was set to non-directional. Good call...thanks. I set it to Directional and re-baked. Although it did make a slight difference as seen below, but nothing like non-baked, as you can see. Is this the best I can hope for. I've also unclude the Lighting settings for you too. Any help to improve on that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Normal_Issue_2.jpg

5. bgolus

bgolus

You're seeing the effects of specular highlights, which pre-5.6 you had the option of using Directional Specular baked lighting, but they've removed that. Going forward you can play with the shadow mask options.
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/m...-window-preview-1-try-it.424991/#post-2747024

There's a lot of threads with people complaining about the removal of this feature, but also some threads on how to get specular highlights back in baked lighting.

6. KevalrOxy

KevalrOxy

bgolus.... you're a top geezer! Finally resolved...thank you. Check out the rewards (image) below... One is baked and the other is not. You can tell by the shadow which is not, but that is very, very close... if not exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for your help. Much appreciated.
    Magic_Moment.JPG

7. Altair12121

Altair12121

I have the same problem, my normal maps lose "intensity" they look smoother when baking, they do not look the same as in real time.

How did you solve that problem so that normal maps can be seen well?

Please help me :(

8. danielrugu

danielrugu

Hey bud, we are also having the same issue, can you explain how did you resolve it? We have to use Forward rendering and Baked or else our frames sink.

cave-lighting.jpg

9. legoblaster1234

legoblaster1234

Could you share how you fixed the problem?

10. EliasCyborn

EliasCyborn

bump, have the same problem with 2019.1.1f1... how is this even an issue.
    can't post screenshots due to confidential content, but it looks exactly the same, like my norma maps are just removed when baked

M_R_M likes this.