Search Unity

Missing events?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by MattDownie, Oct 14, 2015.

1. MattDownie

MattDownie

I have had issues where funnels seem to not get completed even though all the relevant custom events were sent in the correct order (and returned an AnalyticsResult.Ok result enum - earlier tests were failing because I was sending too many events per hour, so I've reduced the amount of data involved). This is quite awkward to test since I'm having to do things like set up a test-bed project, wait 6-8 hours for it to populate with data, set up a funnel, wait 4-6 hours for it to populate, and then look at the results.

The 'Validate' window provides some useful feedback, but the window is of limited size and when expected events don't appear I can't tell if it means they weren't received, or if they were pushed off the bottom due by 'appRunning' messages.

I presume (Analytics.CustomEvent(eventName, eventData) == AnalyticsResult.Ok) doesn't absolutely guarantee the data made it through, since it doesn't appear to be waiting for a response.

I'm trying to track progress through a 17-stage tutorial, but if any event fails to make it through, the whole funnel becomes misleading. Any suggestions?

2. MattDownie

MattDownie

I'm noticing that the Integration / Validate window seems to update when I:
    1 Run Unity project in the debugger
    2 Send some events
    3 Stop it running
    4 Run the Unity project again.
    At this point all(?) my custom events from the run-through in steps 1-3 appear. Are these events being sent through a queuing system? Will it be the same on an iOS device?
    Sometimes the first tutorial event isn't shown, especially if it was sent very quickly after the project started running, yet it does show the appStart event, suggesting we didn't run out of display room.

3. mpinol

mpinol

Hi @MattDownie,

The AnalyticsResult.Ok is just a check to determine if Analytics was running and if the event was successfully sent/cached. Since we are trying to make Analytics have as little as possible impact on the players, instead of sending each event one at a time we cache them so we are able to send multiple events to save a player's battery life and data. The events are sent and received in the order that they are sent from the player's device so it would not be uncommon to see many events populate in the validator all at once. Is your tutorial event being called in one of the Awake() or Start() methods? Since we cannot always guarantee whether Analytics has started up or not before these methods are called it is a good idea to avoid using them for Analytics events.

Would you also mind opening up a support ticket here, https://analytics.cloud.unity3d.com/support It will give me some more information about your game so I can look into your funnels and see if your tutorial event is being skipped or not.

4. JoPed

JoPed

I know this is a old thread, but I would like to know when and possible where the Analytics events such as appstart, apprunning, appstop is run. And is that only in the editor or does it do this on android or ios as well.

5. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@JoPed,

appStart, appRunning and appStop are sent from the Analytics system built into the editor.
    • appStart is sent at the beginning of a new session.
    • appRunning is sent whenever the app is sent to the background.
    • appStop is sent when the app stops, although this can be a bit more fickle.
    These events will be sent from any build with Analytics enabled, including Android, iOS, etc.