Search Unity

==MISSING A MODULE?== Just reopen the Download Assistant :)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by holliebuckets, Jan 6, 2016.

1. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Summary: Unity now allows you to install each platform individually to save bandwidth and long install times. Check the box next to the platforms you are developing for during the installation process.

Step 1: Reopen your *already downloaded* Unity Download Assistant!!
    You don't need to re-download anything :)

Step 2: Introduction

(Note: This image shows the Mac Download Assistant)

Step 3: Agreement

Step 4:
    Select the Platform modules you are missing.
    We no longer install platforms you don’t want/develop for.
    You do not need to have the editor checked if you are *just* installing missing modules.

(Note: This image shows the Windows Download Assistant)

Step 5: Location.
    Select the location you wish to install Unity. This will overwrite your current Unity installation. If you want multiple versions of Unity on your computer. Select a new location for it to be installed. You may be prompted to type your computer password to install.
    If you are installing missing modules select the location the Unity version you are working with is installed to

Step 6: Install & Download.
    Unity will auto-magically install and download the platforms you selected.
    Unity will only install the boxes you checked. Don't select the editor if you don't need to :)

FAQ:

Q: I’ve already installed Unity and can’t build for [Insert Platform Name Here].

A: Make sure you have the module installed. If not go to Step 1 and repeat the installation process and make sure you select the platform you want to develop for.

=============================================================================
    Super thank you to @Chris_Figueroa for use of images

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    FuzzyQuills and RavenOfCode like this.
  2. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude

This is an horrible way to download the installers, the links should be available to us so we can download the full version OR the pieces whoever wants. Forcing us all to use this "assistant" doesn't help at all, this "assistant" doesn't assist when we have slow internet that usually disconnects. It's such a hassle to download unity now.

Edit: to make things worse it doesn't even download all the files before installing, it downloads a smaller piece and already installs it over whatever we're using, making us stop working and having to WAIT until the entire things download each piece and install them separately, because the version we were using previously was installed over....

I'm now having my work day stopped because of this "assistant"...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  3. Baste

Baste

If you need a sticky thing on top of the forums and a sticky post in the editor subforum, just to make people understand how to use the new installer, you should probably rethink the new installer.

My coworkers that's working on the non-technical side of things took one look at the installer, figured "I don't create builds", and unchecked Windows Build Support. This meant that our code would not compile on their computers, as the default build target is Web Player.

Once web player is truly removed, Unity will not make any sense without at least one of the build targets selected. Making the menu be "Chose at least one" would make probably make this menu more friendly to non-techy users. Or some kind of warning going "you haven't selected any build targets, so you can't actually make a game with this install".

Don't get me wrong - it's great that we don't have to use drive space for tvOS build support (what is that even?), but the implementation seems to have caused a_lot_of confusion.

sinarezaei1991, Thorlar, NIOS and 2 others like this.
  4. orb

orb

This little thing called Apple TV ;)

People asked for modularised installers. Now they have them. The one little problem is that there's nothing included by default. Wouldn't it make sense to have the core installer include editor, desktop players and DOCUMENTATION? All the mobile platforms should be optional. People will complain no matter what is or isn't included in the most basic installer, but I think newbies will benefit most from having desktop building as the default option.

But why can't the editor download modules?

holliebuckets likes this.
  5. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude

More importantly, why can't we download the modules we want separately if we want, or the full thing if we want, however we want, instead of using the limited "assistant" they created, that forces us to stop working while unity slowly downloads and installs each part separately ?

I'd like to only download everything and install at a later time, like always, on both my pcs, that process is now a massive hassle, lost 6 hours of work today because I can't use my older version of unity anymore while downloading the new one, Unity REALLY has to give us back the full link, or give us the links to every part, or actually make the torrent idea work, instead of shoving this "assistant" down our throats.

We are constantly running on issues that are fixed by the patch releases, this new distribution method is VERY bad to us, having to constantly download like this will be a massive waste of my time.

Thorlar, MaxB and Mimicry like this.
  6. orb

orb

They should really have something like Ninite. Pick the bits you want *on the website*, then it gives you a download link with an installer for all of it. I get most of the modules, but I'll always skip Blackberry and the example project.

JustAnotherDude likes this.
  7. miniduck

miniduck

I'm behind vpn/proxy/firewall and unity download assistant doesn't work.
    The standalone unity editor download doesn't offer to install the modules.

How do I download the modules without using the download assistant?

Malice983 likes this.
  8. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude

This is not the full installer, it's just the web and windows version, 250mb download.

9. Mimicry

Mimicry

OK. Just show me the full link of the ios build support pkg plz.

10. Mimicry

Mimicry

I download the 5.3.2 p1 (with ios /android support) for two days and it is not finished yet.
    With the "smart" "assistant".
    And even if I chose another download cache directory. It will also removed the downloaded pkg when the installing is "abort" or something like this. I just want to download the pkg without installing them.

11. Ibzy

Ibzy

I have trouble with the 64 bit version for some reason (have since 5.0) so feel I have to install the 32 bit version. This doesn't seem to be an option from within the installer, and the 32 bit option in the archive doesn't include the modules.

Advice?

12. MaxB

MaxB

Yeah the archives do not contain the modules, at this point in time you are required to use the download assistant to install a version of Unity that can publish more than web builds.

It would be lovely to have modules added to the archive download page, especially if they are updated as often as the engine is.

holliebuckets and Mimicry like this.
  13. Kiupe

Kiupe

Hi,

Every time I try to install a new module it fails - the following message pops-up - any idea why ?

Thanks

Attached Files:

14. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I'd say post the log file it's given here, that should help us find the issue.

15. Rs

Rs

I have both Unity 5.3.1 32 bit and 64 bit (I need that even if not the latest version). I managed to install the needed modules for 64 bit with the Download Assistant. The problem is that the Download Assistant will not let me choose which version I want to feed with the modules; it probably chooses the first version it finds. How can I install the modules to the 32 bit version when I also have the 64 bit one?

16. mr_blahblah

mr_blahblah

Ahem.

Professionally speaking, Unity should simply offer the modules as standalone downloads.

Rebuking posters who are bringing attention to a frustrating show-stopping issue is not very professional, IMHO.

17. bsawyer

bsawyer

I need to be able to install new versions of Unity on remote Mac OS X build machines. I have two problems with Download Assistant:

1) The "Downloading and Installing Unity" documentation describes how to install via command line, which I would do over SSH, but there's no mention of how to install the individual Build Support components this way. Does installing via the Editor .pkg file just provide the default components? All of them? Are there undocumented command line arguments for specifying them?

2) I can VNC to the build server's desktop using Mac Screen Sharing and run the Download Assistant remotely that way, but for some reason the checkboxes on the Component Selection page don't appear responsive over the Screen Sharing display. I can't determine whether or not this is a bug with the Mac Download Assistant utility or if it's just a visual glitch with Screen Sharing; either way, it appears as though I'm unable to select or deselect components for installation.

Any advice for us who need remote/CLI control?

Edit: I just discovered that on the Beta page, there are individual download links to installers for the separate components! But this is ONLY for the latest beta release. We need the same option for all other non-beta releases. SURELY this is available somewhere, it's just hidden.. right? I mean it seems like a no-brainer.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  18. orb

orb

I hacked together a little tool to grab links based on version+hash. Check it out here: http://unity.grimdork.net

It's only semi-automated, so if you see any newer Download Assistant-based versions missing, PM the link to the assistant and I'll add it (I couldn't be arsed to try different base URLs for the older versions[1]). I couldn't quite figure out what the URL schemes are for the Linux and Windows editors, so only OS X versions for now. Let's hope UT just add a simple list of links like this themselves.

[1] There are four base URLs which you can find in settings.ini inside the Download Assistant app, in Resources. You might find the older versions via any of those, particularly
    http://beta.unity3d.com/download/<hash>/<name>-<version>-<platform>.ini

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Cromfeli, throh and Mimicry like this.
  19. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Hi @RafaelF82 ! So sorry for the delay, I've been away for Vision Summit. I am going to delete my post to prevent mis-information from being spread. I haven't tracked down yet whether it was changed or I just completely fed you a bucket of lies.

TO EVERYONE:

Know that the module installer has been a topic of debate internally on how we can better communicate 1) how to use it and 2) adjustments to make it easier/more intuitive.

I have shared this forum thread internally as well :)

20. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Coming Soon.

orb likes this.
  21. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

No rebuke was giving for bringing attention to frustrating issues.

22. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude

It changed when the whole installer changed, I always used that to download.

All you guys have to do is make the parts downloads links publicly available and/or make sure the torrents are available for all versions (patch releases included), that way people with limited internet can download at their own pace.

The torrent was perfect actually, it allowed me to download both windows and mac versions at once, but it was only good for one version and then apparently the idea was abandoned, and I need those patch releases because of constant issues with assetbundles being fixed in them.

23. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

I've pushed for an updated torrent link frequently, and will continue to do so. I'll keep updating this thread as I get info from internal and we move forward with this beast of a modular installer.

JustAnotherDude likes this.
  24. blacksun

blacksun

I am running Unity 5.2.3p2 64bit for my project. I noticed I didn't have the standard assets installed as I had found the standalone editor for version 5.2.3p2 and installed it with that. So I read this bit about using the new installer. I used it and selected only the Standard Assets.

After installing, I then got tons of errors in teh project along the lines of:

Assets/Standard Assets/CrossPlatformInput/Scripts/AxisTouchButton.cs(7,22): error CS0101: The namespace `UnityStandardAssets.CrossPlatformInput' already contains a definition for `AxisTouchButton'

or

Assets/Standard Assets/Utility/WaypointCircuit.cs(226,18): error CS0101: The namespace `UnityStandardAssets.Utility.Inspector' already contains a definition for `WaypointListDrawer'

On and on. So, can someone enlighten me as to what happened? I did not think the standard assets are version dependent. Are they? If so, how might I acquire the correct files for version 5.2.3p2? Or am I missing something else? How can I fix my project?

Thank you!

25. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Unity Standard Assets do not auto upgrade :) They are version dependent (to some extent). Full details here: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-InstallStandardAssets.html

26. blacksun

blacksun

Thanks. I ended up re-installing to a newer version. Then installed the standard assets for that version and was able to move in my scenes and assets. I'll be sure to also download the Standard Assets installer along with the Editor installer for each particular version from now on. I like having the standalone installers. Personal preference I guess.

27. hollym16

hollym16

Hi Everyone,
    I had to open an old Project I did in Unity 5.0.1 so downloaded this version (as it wouldn't open in 5.3.3).
    However when I try to export the project as iOS it crashes Unity.
    I was thinking it was because I didn't have the iOS Build Support installed so I went back to the Unity Download Assistant to try and download it from there.
    However, the option for neither iOS nor Android Build Support came up; only 'Unity 5', 'Web Player', 'Standard Assets' and 'Example Project'.
    I tried downloading the version one up from that to see if it was available there, but it wasn't.
    So I downloaded the newest Download Assistant (5.3.3) and saw it was available. I ticked iOS Build Support and only that and attempted to install it.
    After 2.10GB of an install, it comes up with an error (see screenshot)
    I can view the log which I can post if anyone wants to see it.
    Is this because the 5.3.3 version isn't compatible with Unity 5.0.1? If so, is there anywhere I can download the correct version?
    If incompatibility isn't the problem, then what am I doing wrong and what can I do to fix it?
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

28. HeardsTheWord

HeardsTheWord

My company is behind a vpn/proxy/firewall, so I'm unable to use the assistant. Is there any work around, or is it stuck to ONLY the assistant?

29. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Providing a workaround for something like this is a security/liability issue. Essentially you are asking how to bypass a network. My suggestion would be to reach out to your company's network admin and ask for Unity to be added as an exception.

30. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

I just downloaded the latest Unity 5 patch, and told it to only install the editor update, and not the other modules i use, as their sizes are huge, and thought i'd only UPDATE them if needed.
    But it then removed everything except the new version of the editor.
    Does this mean every patch you need to also re-download all the modules, with the latest editor version?
    Even if the patch has not effected them? O_O

Just starting to update all my projects and games to Unity 5 from 4, so i'm still pretty new with the modules and downloader.

31. selzero

selzero

Can someone please give me a hand regarding what I'm supposed to do to get Unity 32 bit with anything other than Web Player.

If I download the 32 bit editor set up, I can install, but when I try to switch platforms it directs me here:
    http://download.unity3d.com/unity/f...dowsStandalone-Support-for-Editor-5.3.4f1.exe

If I download the install helper it will automatically install 64 bit.

I just need to install a 32 bit editor that can compile to Windows.

32. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

Is there a way to not have the iOS module installed but still modify iOS override settings for sprites?

Our company only has one Mac and therefore only needs iOS module on that machine, not the other 20 that cannot build to iOS if they wanted to. But some of the other machines need to set texture override settings based on the other platform overrides. I see no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to do this other than simplifying the interface for newbies.

33. lazysnake61

lazysnake61

mine download assistant for 5.3.4p3 doesnt show any component list to select. I tried running it as admin and also redownloaded it again but no use.

34. greatness

greatness

How do you reopen your download assistant. Can someone make a video or something? I'm lost.

35. selzero

selzero

Ok I managed to fix my issue. I had to download 32 bit 5.2.0. The others I tried are still broken. A very messed up UX.

36. Kashrlyyk

Kashrlyyk

Could you do the same for the Windows 64bit installer? Because on my PC there is NO Settings.ini inside the Download Assistant Programm. There is just an executable that if not connected to the Internet says: "Alternatively download and install the individual components separately from: http://www.unity3d.com"

Obviously the last line is false!

37. Kashrlyyk

Kashrlyyk

They are not going to do that. holliebuckets replied 6 times on this thread and did not post the link to the modules once. The links are used by the assistant and only need to be "released to the public".

What they think is the Problem is communication:
    What utter nonsense. "better communicate" No, just give me the F***ing link. My browser can download files. I don't need another Programm with Access to the Internet to download files.

Thorlar likes this.
  38. orb

orb

Yeah, I've been meaning to try to figure out those links, but busy days lately got in the way. The info I need should be in the main installer's download link, so I just need to figure out the paths to each package :)

Going to have a look at it now.

EDIT: I have the solution. Just coding something elegant up, then adding Win32/64 links too is a piece of cake :)

EDIT 2: Now up and running with links to all individual OS X and Windows packages from 5.3.2f1: http://unity.grimdork.net

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  39. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

I think I love you now.

Seriously, thanks :) Bookmarked! This should be on every thread on the subject!! It would be nice if the Unity team thought ahead enough would run those links through some kind of decent international CDN too, so we aren't stuck being throttled at 100KB/sec.

The instructions in the original post are well intention-ed... but not good. That installer will re-download and re-install every component, so if you installed all 15 odd GB of data and missed one installer, its going to redownload and reinstall all 15 GB (why even have individual modules then?).

Also, some Unity Editors now carry links to installers inside them. HOWEVER the Unity team, for whatever reason, have been decommissioning the links between releases, so quite often the links inside Unity itself even 404. Yikes!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    Thorlar and Cromfeli like this.
  40. orb

orb

Yeah, the webserver/link-finder tool on my sub-site attempts downloads from a number of different URLs to get the initial INI file containing the address of each individual package. It briefly broke again with 5.3.5 :/

lloydsummers likes this.
  41. Bionicle_fanatic

Bionicle_fanatic

Just tried this while trying to get the Android development package, and got this error:

This is from the /var/log/install.log file, starting from when the errors start appearing.

Jun 15 16:26:10 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installd[1362]: PackageKit: Extracting file://localhost/Users/macmini/Downloads/UnityPackages/UnitySetup-Android-Support-for-Editor-5.3.5f1.pkg#TargetSupport.pkg.tmp (destination=/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/C/PKInstallSandboxManager/35AF7F41-DBBB-42F4-BE28-E6E1C0EE8297.activeSandbox/Root/Applications/Unity/PlaybackEngines/AndroidPlayer, uid=0)
    Jun 15 16:26:15 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installd[1362]: PackageKit: prevent user idle system sleep
    Jun 15 16:26:15 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installd[1362]: PackageKit: suspending backupd
    Jun 15 16:26:15 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installd[1362]: PackageKit: Executing script "./preinstall" in /private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.bD0dNv/Scripts/com.unity3d.AndroidPlayer.3sc9hN
    Jun 15 16:26:15 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installd[1362]: ./preinstall: Info.plist: //Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Info.plist
    Jun 15 16:26:15 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installd[1362]: ./preinstall: Version: 5.3.4f1
    Jun 15 16:26:15 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installd[1362]: ./preinstall: Expected: 5.3.5f1
    Jun 15 16:26:15 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installd[1362]: ./preinstall: Unity version is not compatible with this component
    Jun 15 16:26:15 macminis-mac-mini-1.home install_monitor[1493]: Temporarily excluding: /Applications, /Library, /System, /bin, /private, /sbin, /usr
    Jun 15 16:26:15 macminis-mac-mini-1.home install_monitor[1493]: Re-included: /Applications, /Library, /System, /bin, /private, /sbin, /usr
    Jun 15 16:26:16 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installd[1362]: PackageKit: releasing backupd
    Jun 15 16:26:16 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installd[1362]: PackageKit: allow user idle system sleep
    Jun 15 16:26:16 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installd[1362]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “UnitySetup-Android-Support-for-Editor-5.3.5f1.pkg”." UserInfo=0x7ffd29e64580 {NSFilePath=./preinstall, NSURL=file://localhost/Users/macmini/Downloads/UnityPackages/UnitySetup-Android-Support-for-Editor-5.3.5f1.pkg#TargetSupport.pkg.tmp, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.unity3d.AndroidPlayer, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “UnitySetup-Android-Support-for-Editor-5.3.5f1.pkg”.} {
    NSFilePath = "./preinstall";
    NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cUnitySetup-Android-Support-for-Editor-5.3.5f1.pkg\U201d.";
    NSURL = "file://localhost/Users/macmini/Downloads/UnityPackages/UnitySetup-Android-Support-for-Editor-5.3.5f1.pkg#TargetSupport.pkg.tmp";
    PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "com.unity3d.AndroidPlayer";
    }
    Jun 15 16:26:16 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installer[1490]: install:didFailWithError:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “UnitySetup-Android-Support-for-Editor-5.3.5f1.pkg”." UserInfo=0x7ff6d960f8b0 {NSFilePath=./preinstall, NSURL=file://localhost/Users/macmini/Downloads/UnityPackages/UnitySetup-Android-Support-for-Editor-5.3.5f1.pkg#TargetSupport.pkg.tmp, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.unity3d.AndroidPlayer, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “UnitySetup-Android-Support-for-Editor-5.3.5f1.pkg”.}
    Jun 15 16:26:16 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installd[1362]: PackageKit: Removing client PKInstallDaemonClient pid=1490, uid=0 (/usr/sbin/installer)
    Jun 15 16:26:16 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installd[1362]: PackageKit: Running idle tasks
    Jun 15 16:26:16 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installd[1362]: PackageKit: Done with sandbox removals
    Jun 15 16:26:16 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installd[1362]: PackageKit: Sandbox /var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/C/PKInstallSandboxManager/BA29B1AB-1C8A-4338-A490-92FFBD1B1D7F.sandbox: relevance 28
    Jun 15 16:26:16 macminis-mac-mini-1.home installer[1490]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.[/quote]

42. Malice983

Malice983

I have a problem with 5.3.5 crashing. So it just so happens that I updated from 5.3.4. This means that I no longer had anything from 5.3.4. So I go back and download 5.3.4 but NONE of the modules are coming with it. I do not get an option for anything other than the editor and monodevelop. Not to mention I have to get the editor anyway. It is perma-checked. My project is at a standstill. I can't build it... no modules. I can't make it in 5.3.5 because it crashes on start-up. Not looking good here.

43. Bionicle_fanatic

Bionicle_fanatic

So uh... Still not working. Android support is kind of important for a game designed for android, you know.

44. Bionicle_fanatic

Bionicle_fanatic

It throws the error at the "Validating Packages" stage of the Android Build Support installation. I only checked the Android Build Support package in the module list. Do I need to check the actual Unity 5.3.5 package as well (effectively re-installing Unity)?

45. KirklandSignatureBrand

KirklandSignatureBrand

Im having the same problem as Bionicle_fanatic. I had the issue on 5.3, today I upgraded to Installed 5.4 and Im am still having the same issue. I have added the logs I get from the installation.

Attached Files:

46. 00christian00

00christian00

Guys, can you make it so that the installer start installing ONLY after it finished downloading everything?
    It doesn't make sense that it start installing as soon as it download something, cause it won't be usable anyway.

I would like to continue work on Unity until it is actually ready to upgrade instead right now as soon as the editor has been downloaded it uninstall everything and install the editor which will be unusable until the modules have been downloaded and installed...

47. KirklandSignatureBrand

KirklandSignatureBrand

@Bionicle_fanatic If you are on mac this might help.
    Im running OSX Yosemite 10.10.4
    My error was resolved by placing the Unity.app file in the unity folder following installation. Initially I was putting it in the applications folder immediately. But I saw in the error logs the following message.

./preinstall: Info.plist: //Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Info.plist
    ./preinstall: Unity.app not found
    Temporarily excluding: /Applications, /Library, /System, /bin, /private, /sbin, /usr

After moving the Unity.app file the android module installation worked fine.

48. souliaq

souliaq

Some good option that you can add to your download assistant is, the option "download only".

Thanks orb for the links.

Cromfeli likes this.
  49. Stardog

Stardog

Where are the component downloads for 5.4.x? We are forced to use the installer.

They are there on the beta download page.

50. CGeorge

CGeorge

With some name changes to the beta links you can get the component downloads for 5.X.X.
    Example:
    http://beta.unity3d.com/download/e1...ySetup-Android-Support-for-Editor-5.6.0b9.exe
    just change "beta" to "download", "download" to "download_unity", random number "e1cc23a55ad8" to the random number for your version used in the archive page, then change the versioning numbers to your version.
    https://download.unity3d.com/downlo...ySetup-Android-Support-for-Editor-5.4.2f2.exe

Stardog likes this.