Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Minimum Frames Per Second?

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by Captain-Awesome, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Captain-Awesome

Captain-Awesome

Is there a minimum frames per second we should be trying to stay above? I can stay around 60 by turning all the good stuff off.

But shadows and anti-aliasing look soooo good. Even though they take the game down to 40 frames per second.

2. Freaking-Pingo

Freaking-Pingo

The Daydream performance requirements states:
    I guess it boils down to the definition of "High frame rate". I don't know whether the motion-to-photon correlates to frames per second in any way (I will have to read up on it). If not, I would still expect a frame-rate at 40 fps could potentially increase the level of nausea, due to slow response times between head movement and actual projection of visuals. Their documentation also states that you should aim for a 30 min experience (based on user data). You could try your app out for 30 minutes, or have someone else test it for 30 min to see if nausea becomes a problem.

In order to help you on performance, have you seen this thread "Best practice settings for Daydream"?
    Some people have gained quiet a few frames simply by adapting these best practices

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    chelnok likes this.
  3. overfile

overfile

Hi Captain-Awesome,

What device you use for testing? When we began testing phase, we test on Nexus 6p but the fps only work to 40. Now on Motorola Moto z works fine with +60 fps so if you 're testing on Nexus 6p i think 40 fps is good performance.

4. Freaking-Pingo

Freaking-Pingo

Daydream is intended for Daydream-ready phones and should primarily support them, so if you are hitting 40 fps with a non-Daydream-ready phone but 60 fps on an actual Daydream-ready phone, then I believe you are in the clear.

5. Claytonious

Claytonious

It seems to be more about your specific game "feeling good" than about any specific FPS target: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/amazing-performance.441178/.

That said, higher FPS is almost always going to "feel" better for the user. But this is not as strict as something like GearVR's "you *must* run at 60Hz at all *times* or we will throw your app in the dungeon" approach.

Freaking-Pingo likes this.
  6. Captain-Awesome

Captain-Awesome

overfile, I'm using a ZTE Axon 7. It has a Snapdragon 820 processor in it, like your Moto Z.

Claytonious, I agree with your old post. 45 fps still feels GREAT. I'm happy even with 30 fps, it doesn't give me a headache or make me nauseas.

Freaking-Pingo, thanks I think that's the answer!! Google's guidelines say your game should run for 30 minutes without overheating. The easiest way to do that is by NOT pushing the phone's processor to it's limit, which you're probably doing if you run at anything less than the phone screen's refresh rate.