Search Unity

Microsoft Developer Dream.Build.Play is live and has grown big this year

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jacob_Unity, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

Hi everybody!

We just wanted to let you all know that the annual Dream.Build.Play challenge from Microsoft just went live and it's bigger than the previous years.

The TL;DR version goes like this: Create a Universal Windows Platform game for one of the below four categories before Dec 31, 2017 to participate in the challenge.

The categories are:
    • Cloud Powered Game (Grand Prize: $100,000 USD)
    • PC Game (Grand Prize: $50,000 USD)
    • Mixed Reality Game (Grand Prize: $50,000 USD)
    • Xbox Game (Grand Prize: $25,000 USD)
    We'd love to see some entries from our community, and we wouldn't want you to miss an opportunity like this.

Read more about the challenge, the important dates, the requirements, and sign up for the Dream.Build.Play challenge here.

Meltdown, schmosef and theANMATOR2b like this.
  2. Player7

Player7

I remember that user I think he switched to UE.. your image proxy is broken and ghosting old users Unity.

good luck everyone submitting something :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Kridian likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Player7 your loss bud.

Sounds like a good opportunity. Your game doesn't even have to be a commercial success does it??

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Only if by not a commercial success you are referring to a game that would simply be unlucky, yes. While the contest is unlikely to receive anything beyond prototypes, games they choose as winners will likely have very good chances at commercial success. Unless they don't get enough contestants to weed out more than the obvious failures.

theANMATOR2b, Kiwasi and Deleted User like this.
  5. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

While the outlook of money is nice, people often forget that there's also a promotional value in something like this. The second you have the spotlight, a nomination or even a 1st prize, your game is much more valuable to anyone. :D

hippocoder and theANMATOR2b like this.
  6. Zed-321

Zed-321

I wanted to register but did not find Russia in the list of countries

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  7. StormMuller

StormMuller

The rules say that the work must be your own, does anyone know if fonts apply here?

8. manutoo

manutoo

From https://developer.microsoft.com/en-...ream-build-play-rules?utm_content=DBPSignedIn :
    As outlined by @StormMuller , this is very misleading. What does "owned" mean in this context ?

Because it sounds like this would eliminate any game using any free asset package that wasn't especially created by the game author, including the ones coming free with Unity..!

Moreover, it seems it's possible to submit a game which has already been released but then answering this question sounds silly :

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  9. robymv

robymv

I would like to ask you if I can put my game first on Steam and then partecipate in the contest on Windows store?
    Or if I want to partecipate in the contest, I cannot use other stores?

10. yoonitee

yoonitee

Why are Microsoft still flogging this dead horse? They should retire Universal Apps just like they retired XNA.

Steam runs on Windows. So they should instead promote Steam games.
    Equally, Microsoft Office runs on Android and IOS. So they should promote Android and IOS.

Also, the prize money isn't going to temp me because if I was designing an App that is good enough to win, it will get more than that from sales anyway.

Sorry Microsoft, but Windows Universal Apps are not the future. I tried it. Didn't like it. And moved on.

That's my opinion anyway. Hope it helps.

11. Meltdown

Meltdown

@Jacob_Unity Do you know if the cloud powered game submission has to be using Azure? Or can it be using another cloud/server tech like Gamesparks?

Thanks