Search Unity

Metal: GrabIntoRenderTexture mismatched grab pass

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by sharkapps, May 24, 2017.

1. sharkapps

sharkapps

I am receiving over a dozen of these error messages in the Console when baking lighting in Unity 5.6.1f1.

Metal: GrabIntoRenderTexture mismatched grab pass: 81 / 115

There is no other information in the console. What is this error and what is the impact? I am building an app for Metal and the lighting seems dark, but I can't tell if this error is related or not.

Enrico-Monese and effx like this.
  2. gopietz

gopietz

im having the same exact problem. even "81 / 115" is identical. any news on this?

3. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

Me too.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Metal: GrabIntoRenderTexture mismatched grab pass: 81 / 115

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  4. effx

effx

I figured out that my issue was having the experimental Metal Editor option enabled in the Player Settings. You need to disable Metal Editor setting.

I had to do a round about way in fixing avoiding the issue since I could not open my Unity project on my Mac to disable this option. I had to first remove all my assets that were causing the editor from opening. I found out which files were causing the issue by checking what files were loading in the log right before the error.

After removing the files, I opened Unity, disabled the Metal Editor setting and added my files back and was able to continue from there.

As of now I do not know of any way to change the Player Settings outside of Unity so this might be your only work around.

5. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

If you look at the "Project Settings/ProjectSettings.asset" file, and find the line that says "metalEditorSupport: 1", you can change that to "metalEditorSupport: 0" and this should be disabled when you reopen Unity.

Unfortunately I need the Metal support enabled as I am using Compute Shaders.

EDIT: In Unity 2017b10 I don't get the error any more but the RenderTexture I assigned to a shader is appearing all black.

EDIT EDIT: nvm I just had to add the 'metal' flag to my shader.
    Seems to be fixed in Unity 2017.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  6. effx

effx

Thanks for the tip

Good to hear it's fixed in 2017

7. DragonDust

DragonDust

Me too. Unity version 2017.1.1f1.
    "Assertion failed: Metal: GrabIntoRenderTexture mismatched grab pass: 115 / 80"

8. madGlory

madGlory

Hey Gizmoi,

I'm having a similar issue, would you mind posting the "metal" flag? I don't quite know where to find it.

Thanks!

9. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Please upgrade to newer Unity versions, if possible. If the bug reproduces in currently supported LTS, or Tech Stream versions (2019.4, 2020.3, and 2021.1), please submit a bug report.

10. WookieWookie

WookieWookie

Still happening in Unity 2021.2.5f1, I'm sure plenty of people submitted bug reports.

11. giorgos_unity

giorgos_unity

Unity Technologies

12. jbooth

jbooth

I'm seeing this in 2021.3, but am not using GrabPass in any of my shaders or code. It seems to come and go, but once it happens, it's a constant stream of errors.