Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

<meta-data> How do you implement keyword tags to the apk for Android Search eng?

Discussion in 'Android' started by DFiable, Mar 7, 2012.

1. DFiable

DFiable

I have been reading the DevGuide on <meta-data> and am trying to add keywords to my apk so that the Android Market Search engine can find my game even if the words I use are not in the visable description. My game is a "tunnel" game however if you type in "tunnel" in the Android Market my game will not show up. I know how to do this on a web page but I'm not sure of the correct way to do it within my apk - or if there is another way all together. Would someone explain the typical way to add keywords? in the Manifest or some where else? thanx

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. AdamOwen

AdamOwen

The meta-data inside the Android Manifest (or data anywhere inside your Android app) is internal and is not read by the Market's search system. The Manifest itself is read when you upload your APK but only to grab the version etc, there is no SEO going on here.

A good app title and description are all you have, use them wisely! Pick a few keywords you want and try and work them into your description while still making sure it reads well. Alternatively you can dump a list of them at the bottom of your description, it's used by almost everyone on the Market though and it's widely reported that it doesn't carry much weight so be creative;

3. Tseng

Tseng

I must note, that keyword stuffing is not allowed in the description and can be a reason for suspension of the App.

http://www.android.com/us/developer-content-policy.html

I know many other App developer use it and are (not yet) banned, because not enough people are reporting it. Cause cause other do it, doesn't mean it's allowed by Google.

4. DFiable

DFiable

Thanx guys! I guess my next question is Whats the best way to drive people to download your game? The "Best Way"?

5. AdamOwen

AdamOwen

Tseng - I have seen on the developer mailgroups that Google have confirmed that keyword lists would not be grounds for removal provided they relate to your app i.e. are not misleading. Google themselves regularly promote apps that have these keyword lists in their descriptions.

If you have a flashlight app and put Angry Birds, Cut The Rope etc. in there then you're just asking for trouble though. Until Google actually implement a keyword search system (why has it taken so long?) then this is a viable tactic as long as it's used carefully.

That being said, I still think a well worded description that organically contains your keywords is a better method and I'd rather they did uphold a ban on keyword dumping and give us the ability to add information from the console. Also, nice job incorporating Angry Birds into your Pirate Game description - I read an article a while back that recommended that tactic but again that could be seen as misleading. Not a fault of yourself, the Market (or Google Play, can't get used to calling it that yet) really isn't designed well enough. Google have cut a lot of corners with Android, which is why us developers are still using the unfit for purpose Google Checkout for sales.

DFiable - As for the "best way", there isn't. You need to employ a variety of marketing techniques. Depending on your game you may want to include a video on the app page (regularly proven to increase sales), demo / trial versions with upgrade information inside the app, social media, sending press releases to review sites etc. It's important to note the demo / trial point - free apps get huge downloads no matter how bad they are, use this to convert free users into paying customers.

It's not easy and a number of developers (recently including the creators of iPhone's Temple Run) state they spent almost as much time (and sometimes money) marketing their games as they did making them. You could look into striking a publisher deal with a company like Chillingo who will market the game for you but it's not always a realistic or profitable option.

6. manishkumar009

manishkumar009

Thanks, guys, this thread helps me as well, I am SEO expert at an SEO company in India. I was too much confused about implementing keywords tag to apk for the android search engine.

7. nehabaluni

nehabaluni

There is no real "tags" concept on the Android market for keyword insertion. you can add your keywords in description.