Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MeshPaint - Dynamically paint meshes onto other GameObject's surfaces.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by GlitchedPolygons, Jan 12, 2014.

?

MeshPaint on Asset store...

1. Yes pls

60 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. No thanks

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. marcipw

marcipw

The Wacom input sounds really exciting! I am looking forward to this release.

2. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Glad to hear that :) The wacom part is already done and ready for release, I'm currently still working on trying to fix the broken lightmapping.
    I'd say within one or two weeks V1.8 will be stable enough for me to record a tutorial video and release it on the store soon after :D
    Once it's out, I'll be looking forward for some feedback from your side, since I "only" have a small wacom intuos tablet to test this update on... so if anybody will eventually find a bug or something that doesn't work, bare with me. Just write me an email or post it here and I'll take care of it.

Cheers, and have a great sunday!

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  3. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

I just submitted MeshBrush V1.8 to the asset store team. It should be available for download pretty soon :)

Here the usual release notes video:

Hope you like it! :>

Cheers, and have a great time!

4. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hm, I didn't receive the usual confirmation mail from the asset store team... But the new MeshBrush update has been accepted and is ready to be downloaded :|

marcipw likes this.
  5. Tomas-smith

Tomas-smith

Hello, raphu604! I really like your MeshBrush and I am looking forward to pursuing it from Unity Asset Store.
    But I noticed something that made me concerned. There are no shadows from the painted prefabs in any of your presentation images or videos. Is this an issue or you just didn't enabled the shadows in the models?

GlitchedPolygons likes this.
  6. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hi there,

I'm glad you like it :) no no, don't worry! I had just turned them off because I was trying to demonstrate something in a tutorial video and the shadows would have been too noisy on the eyes. Afterwards, I (obviously) forgot to turn them back on :') sorry about the confusion!

I'll update the example scene too in V1.9 and turn them back on :)

Cheers

Tomas-smith likes this.
  7. Tomas-smith

Tomas-smith

That's wonderful :) Keep up the GREAT work !!!

8. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Thanks for the kind words :)

Development of V1.9 will start next month, so if you (or actually anybody else here too) have ideas or suggestions about what you would like to see in the new update, feel free to post them down below. I always try to give my best implementing customer requested features.

A list of features that you can definitively and 100% expect from this update will follow in the next two weeks (I'm still figuring out some core concepts).

9. Tomas-smith

Tomas-smith

Your MeshBrush is Awesome! :) It took me some time to find out how it's working but it gave me great results!

I would suggest you one new updates :)
    1. It would be nice if you could create a curve letting people adjust the size of the objects depending on their position on the brush borders. (At the edges of the brush the meshes could be smaller.

10. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hey, thank you so much for the awesome feedback! I really appreciate it :) And I'm glad that you're having good results with my tool. I'll make sure to add that feature soon (I put it on my to-do list). Hopefully it'll be in V1.9!
    And yeah... I know it's a lot of stuff to take in (especially with those way-too-long tutorial videos)... I am planning to rewrite the entire documentation as well as recording new, smaller tutorial videos instead of the release notes video approach. This way, people can just tune into the YT playlist and watch the topics they are interested in. But that will be a lot of work, which I will do as soon as I have some spare time at my disposal :>

Cheers, and all the best of luck for your projects!

11. sylon

sylon

Hi. Just bought your asset. Looks really cool so far. Just what i needed and should be included in Unity i feel.
    Anyway. One thing that i can't figure out, is to randomize not only y-axis rotation, but the x and z as well.
    When painting flowers for instance, i would like some randomization there.

Grtz.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  12. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hi there, thanks for the feedback! I appreciate that a lot :)
    I did not add the other axis randomizers because 99% of the usage scenarios did not need the cross-axis randomization. But if you need it I will put that in V1.9 for sure, don't worry ;)

FranckS likes this.
  13. sylon

sylon

Thank you for the quick reply!
    Would be great if you could do that.

14. FranckS

FranckS

Hey raphu604, a quick suggestion for next release:
    When painting with slope influence @ 100% on very chaotic surfaces such as rocks, the orientation of the mesh can become aligned to unwanted details. It would be great to have a multi-sample option for the reference vector to get an averaged direction, with a radius (and possibly a sample number) option.
    Cheers, Franck.

15. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hi Franck,

I'm so sorry for the late response.
    Unity Forums didn't notify me via email as usual... Since this automatic email alert feature is broken (again), I'll have to make sure to look into this thread manually more often.

I just placed your multiple reference vector suggestion onto the to do list for V2.0 ;)

Cheers,
    Raphael

16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am digging the new updates. And I am glad for the polygon display counter... :)

17. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Cool :)
    The new update is coming soon (and the triangle/mesh counter has been renamed to "Stats", to allow extensibility in the future... just in case more things need to be kept track of at some point in time). Cheers :D

18. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

loving the tool, maybe the best UI I've ever seen for a Unity asset; very clean, very deep feature set, great job!

Right now, Mesh Brush component must be unfolded to become active. Instead, it might be nice if you could simply toggle a checkbox - like other Unity components.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  19. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Thank you so much for the nice words! I'm really glad you like it :)
    I'll look into adding the checkbox in V1.9.

20. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

Sounds great. Again, excellent job with this tool. The combine meshes function (in the scene view no less!), and the ability to flexibly add / remove gameobjects to the Mesh Brush Parent group is extremely powerful.

21. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hi guys,

MeshBrush V1.9 is ready.

It's the biggest update that this editor extension has ever seen... and since today is Switzerland's birthday and our national day, I thought today would be an awesome date to announce the release :)

The usual tutorial video is still under development but it ought to be live tomorrow.
    I really hope that you guys enjoy this update, check out the attached Release Notes.pdf file to find out more about the cool new features that have been added.

I rewrote the entire code base almost from scratch, so...

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you have a previous version of MeshBrush installed, make sure to back up your templates and perform a clean install! Completely delete the root MeshBrush folder before importing V1.9 to avoid any problems. Among the rewritten things is also the new template system, which does NOT support MeshBrush templates from previous versions. But don't worry, I wrote a migration utility for you to port your templates over to the new format with ease :)

Check out this huge update and fiddle around with it whilst I upload the tutorial video and brush up (hah!) some of the obsolete key images and screenshots on the asset store page. I tried to implement user requested features as good as possible in this release, so

I added a collapse toggle to the inspector.

With V1.9 you can now keep shift pressed while sampling the ref vec to use an averaged vector.

Done ;) I added a random scale curve parameter to the randomizers along with a +- variation field to achieve exactly the result you were talking about.

Let me know what you think of V1.9 and as always: feel free to post ideas, suggestions, feedback and bug reports in here. I always try to answer and help asap.

Cheers, and have a great day!

Raphael Beck

Attached Files:

sylon likes this.
  22. tharmine_home

tharmine_home

Hi there,
    can it support the animation of the base mesh? Like I model a mesh and animate it in Unity, and paint grass on it. Will the grass stick to the mesh?
    Many thanks
    Thomas

23. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

I don't know actually, I didn't test it. I suppose if the painted meshes are parented to a collider which is moving along with the animated mesh it should work. But either way, MeshBrush ships with the full source code. It's relatively easy to read and understand such that you can extend and integrate it into your projects.
    MeshBrush was originally conceived to be helpful in the creation of static landscapes, but nothing excludes the adaptation to animated meshes; thanks to the above mentioned open code base there's almost nothing you can't do with it. I've even had people telling me they were painting sound effects into their scenes with it... so yeah ;D

I really hope I could help you, if you need further assistance don't hesitate to contact me again.

Tharmine02 likes this.
  24. brett_ridel

brett_ridel

Hi all

First of all, I would like to thank you for this great tool. However, I have some suggestions or questions.

I would like to place prefabs of wall next to each other. In this purpose, I use the Precision Placement Mode. My problem is, I would like to conserve the scale of my prefab, but the first step is to specify the scale. Is there a way to force the Precision Placement tool to keep the scale ?

Alternatively, I think it could be better to init the scale of the painted mesh as the scale of the prefab. Then with the mouse we can make it bigger or smaller. At the moment, the scale of the painted mesh starts from zero, then we have to make it bigger.

An even better option could be to specify if we want to modify the scale (step1), the rotation(step2) and the offset (step3). Depending on the choice, some steps would disappear.

I have an other question. At the moment, when I paint a prefab with the Precision Mode, I have to click 3 time on the key P (if the Lock Scene View is selected). However, after the third click on P, the Precision Mode is set to off, and I have to reselect it. Is there a way to stay in the Precision Mode ?

Brett

25. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback, I highly appreciate it!
    Nr. 3 is already possible if you have V1.9, just keep shift pressed after confirming step 3 :)
    The other two have been put on my to do list for V2.0, thanks again :D

-Raphael

26. sylon

sylon

Hi Raphael.

Remember this one? Maybe for 1.91? :)

27. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Yes, it's still on my to-do list don't worry! :) I didn't forget it, I just didn't have the time to improve the concept (it needs to be good enough not to need any changes in the future).
    I'll give it a try asap, but it's gonna take a while due to my university related schedule (it's packed full with painful maths that sadly take up my whole free time).

28. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hey guys, I don't even know if it's appropriate to post this here, but I'm just so happy about this.
    I'm proud to announce that my newest creation for the asset store that I had submitted a while back has now been accepted. Its name is VertPaint, and this time we're not painting meshes on meshes, but vertex colors on meshes (which ultimately leads to painting materials on meshes with decent blending fx, since that's what everybody seems to want these days).
    Basic vert color blending shaders are included with even a cool little utility that helps preparing your texture maps for usage in the VertPaint shaders (or any custom shader actually...).
    Check it out if you want, and let me know what you think about it. I hope you enjoy the news as much as I did :)

Cheers

29. Le-Pampelmuse

Le-Pampelmuse

So, are you going to release a free version with stripped features? In the beginning you yourself feeled like it should be free entirely, then 5$, then 10$, but I can't find a free version looking through all the posts. I see it has been updated to Unity 2017 but no mention of a free version.

30. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

No, there won't be a free version.
    There's not much to strip from MeshBrush that doesn't make it a cripple. I find the price of 10 USD fair and acceptable considering the days, weeks, months I spent in the past; polishing, adding new features, repolishing, refactoring, etc...
    I'm sure you can understand :)

31. Le-Pampelmuse

Le-Pampelmuse

Oh, thanks for noticing me! I guess it's only fair for you to decide this ^^

I found EnviroSpawn on the store, which has a free version, and with only tweaking one line it does just what I needed.

I didn't want to buy a spawner module since I only need it for some quick testing stuff in my scenes, so I naturally didn't look for paid ones. ;)

Good Luck for your future projects!

32. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

That's reasonable, and perfectly fine! :)
    Thanks for the comment, and good luck to you too!

All the best

-Raphael

33. Hexaedre

Hexaedre

Hi,

Is it possible to have a custom/random rotation on the x, y and z axis or only on the y axis ?
    It would be very usefull for omnidirectional objects like rocks, for example.

34. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hi there,

Yes, that feature is going to be in V2.0 100% :)

35. FranckS

FranckS

Hey Raphael,

maybe someone asked this already, would it be possible to layout lightmap UVs after a combine in order to be able to bake lighting on combined meshes. A simple grid layout scheme would be sufficient, something like taking the original second UVs from the instances and dispatch them in a square grid, event if there's some wasted space.

Cheers,
    Franck.

36. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hi Franck,

sure, I'll look into this when the dev cycle for v2.0 starts.
    I added it to my repo issues list, since lightmapping + combining meshes is still not a thing yet.
    I'll let everybody know as soon as I have more detailed information regarding the next update :)

All the best

Raphael

37. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

38. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hi there,

No, not yet. But they're very awesome ideas: I put them on the to do list for update v2.0 :)
    Cool!

RendCycle and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  39. RendCycle

RendCycle

Is Mesh Brush fully compatible in Unity 2018.1.6? May I know the estimated date of release for version 2.0?

40. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

According to the user feedback I got, yes.
    But if you find something that doesn't work in 2018.x let me know and I'll fix it in the very next update :)

RendCycle likes this.
  41. Raul_T

Raul_T

Hey. Don't know if this is still actively developed, but a bit of code changing is needed to make the brush delete function work on unity 2018.3 with the new prefab system.

This is my approach, it modifies parts of the for loop found at line 877 of MeshBrush.cs

Code (CSharp):
    2. for (int i = paintedMeshesInsideBrushArea.Count - 1; i >= 0; i--)
    3. {
    4.     paintedMeshes.Remove(paintedMeshesInsideBrushArea[i]);
    5.     // In unity 2018.3 and up only destroy the direct childs of the holder object.
    6.     // Destroying childs of a prefab instance is not allowed and will end up in an error.
    7.     var toDestroy = paintedMeshesInsideBrushArea[i].gameObject;
    8.     // ** checking for parentship might cause lower performance in crowded HolderObjects
    9.     if (toDestroy.transform.parent == HolderObj.transform)
    10.     {
    11. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    12.         Undo.DestroyObjectImmediate(toDestroy);
    13. #else
    14.         Destroy(toDestroy);
    15. #endif
    16.     }
    17. }
    Hope this will help anyone having the issue :D

P.S. Thanks for the awesome asset! We've been using it in our team for the level design of our game for more than a year now and we love it! Also it saved us a lot of time especially since we had in plan developing something similar ourselves but just getting meshbrush allowed us to focus more on gameplay development instead :)

42. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hey there, thanks so much for your message! I'm so happy to hear that your team likes it. There are only few other things in life as satisfying as this :)

Sure, all of my assets are still under active development. I already have some fixes and features done for v2.0, but I wanted to wait until Unity 2019 to release the new MeshBrush.
    Also, if you (or anyone else here, really) have wishes for version 2.0, let me know. Keep 'em coming ;)

I was not aware of the above mentioned problem since I'm still on 2017 LTS, thanks for pointing it out and also for the snippet! It has hotfix potential.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Raul_T likes this.
  43. Raul_T

Raul_T

Oh thanks! Looking forward to v2.0!

Speaking of suggestions, one thing that we would like to see is a bigger template panel. And maybe an option to automatically sort them alphabetically. It's really hard to find the templates when you can only see 2 of them in the list box, especially with many of them and if they are not sorted alphabetically. Because of this we ended up just opening the templates from file instead of adding them to favorite panel. It's currently faster to find them like that:D

upload_2019-3-7_12-28-10.png

And maybe a way to set a chance of spawn for each prefab of the template. For example, we use GeNa for placing our vegetation and relief outside point of interest locations, and it allows to set a "chance of spawn" percent for each prefab we add to it. We can somewhat do this in meshbrush by adding prefabs that have higher priority more than once, but it would be nice to just be able to set this with some sliders :)

Other than this, thanks again for the answer and good luck with the development and release of 2.0!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  44. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Thanks for the extensive feedback, I added everything to my to do list for v2.0 :)

Raul_T likes this.
  45. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Dearest game devs,

happy Easter everybody! Hope you're all having a great time :)
    I prepared something for you to help you paint meshes more efficiently onto your Easter eggs: MeshBrush 2.0 is DONE! ;)

It's up for review by the asset store team and should be available to you very soon.

I addressed all of the user reports and feature suggestions as good as I could.

So, here's the release notes for this major release:

• Fixed overlap filter performance issues (now runs a lot faster and more reliably)
    • Fixed annoying bloop sound on macOS when pressing buttons inside scene view (e.g. increasing the brush radius with ‘O’ would trigger the warning boop sound).
    • Fixed bug where rotating the camera with alt+mouse0 caused accidental paint.
    • Fixed prefab deletion errors in Unity >2018.3
    • Improved the precision placement mode (initial scale value)
    • Random rotation now not limited to Y-Axis only but also available for X- and Z-Axis.
    • Meshes inside the set of meshes to paint are now deactivatable individually (ctrl+click the thumbnail to toggle a mesh on or off inside the set).
    • Made the layers section (in Global painting mode inspector) collapsible.
    • Made the favorite templates list bigger by rearranging the save and load buttons.
    MeshBrush celebrated 5 awesome years of existence this January, and it's been so awesome throughout the whole 1.x cycle with you all. Huge thanks to every user in here who helped contribute to this project. It'd be nowhere as good without your valuable feedback, feature suggestions, etc...

Thank you all for five awesome years, and I for myself am glad to announce that I'm very in for another five years like this :D

Cheers everybody, and enjoy your weekend!

-Raphael

Attached Files:

Raul_T likes this.
  46. Raul_T

Raul_T

Thanks for adding our ideas and thanks for the awesome asset <3
    Can't wait to update and test it :)

47. Zimnel

Zimnel

Hi, is this compatible with 2019.1+? Thanks in advance.

48. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hi there :) Yes, I just tested it. Works fine!

49. Zimnel

Zimnel

Thanks for the answer ^ ^ !

50. j0hnbane

j0hnbane

Hey there.

I've been playing around with MeshBrush and was wondering there was a way to adjust the weight of prefab chosen for each prefab when you paint? Let's say I have 6 different grass meshes and 4 flowers. Having a slider for each prefab to increase/decrease the percentage chance of it being placed.