Search Unity

[RELEASED] Mesh Melter: a shader to melt objects in your games

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Celestrium, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Celestrium

Celestrium

Mesh Melter is a tool to integrate melting effects in your game with minimal effort.
    Scripting APIs allow easy integration in your game and synchronisation with the rest of the scene.
    Source code is provided for both shader and component. You can customize everything to fit your needs and also extend the effect.

The shader does not need DX11 or an advanced graphics card and can run on mobile.
    You can download a mobile demo here.

The melting process can be applied to any mesh, including very complex ones. In the video below, the car is composed by 63 meshes using 19 materials.

Last, it can also be applied to animated meshes, such as Ethan from Unity3D standard assets.

Thanks to the reddit guys for the WIP feedback and to this community for the tech support :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Bhanshee00 and Arkade like this.
  2. Arkade

Arkade

Looks very nice! Only onto a plane, right?

3. Celestrium

Celestrium

Currently yes.

I already have plans to add some sort of heightmap for the collapsing plane, but I was not able to make it user-friendly enough for this version.

4. Wouldn't it be able to have it detect colliders or mesh renderers in some dark magic shadery way?

5. Celestrium

Celestrium

I do not think it is possible. Shaders are computed in the GPU where you have no information about colliders.
    Moreover, when you are processing a shader you perform calculation for one vertex at a time and there is no clue where are the other vertices of the same mesh. let alone those of other meshes.

Exceptions to the rule above are - to some extent - geometry and tessellation shaders. Anyway, not even those are capable to adapt to a surface without CPU intervention.

At least ... as far as I know :)

6. Celestrium

Celestrium

A mobile demo is now available, link is in the first post.

7. Celestrium

Celestrium

Now available in the asset store. Link in the first post.

8. lorella124

lorella124

Hey guys!

I have a sphere that the camera is in its center.
    On there sphere I'm displaying a video - pay attention that it's seen because we flipped normals (to make it seen).

When we are using your amazing mash melter, we can't see anything.
    Can you help me please?

Thanks!

9. Celestrium

Celestrium

Hi there. Sorry for the la reply.

Please, send me an e-mail with all the details and, if possible, a sample scene. I will look into it as soon as I can.
    Use the e-mail address is in the manual.