Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mesh Maker - The Modeling & Editing Collection

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MediaGiant, Oct 11, 2013.

1. docsavage

docsavage

Can't give any advice sorry but I've just tried it in 5.6.0f3 and it's working fine. No errors at all.

I have had some problems with 5.6 not finishing the API updates though and only working after doing the api update a second time or reloading the project.

Not sure if this helps though..

MediaGiant likes this.
  2. JOKaija

JOKaija

I deleted whole meshmaker directory and re-imported it. Now it works just fine.

Only problem, I have a many "building" meshes, which have a huge amount
    of vertices (>64k? propably). When I'm trying to open door holes to them
    with cube, GSC start whining huge vertices amount :-(

It's annoying, since I have a nice looking buildings (3rd party) and I have
    automated doors 70% of them for NPCs right now (Settlers style game).
    But those "complex" meshes are driving me nuts and I hate to use any
    other programs to edit meshes.

http://www.thecolonizers.com/

(Yeah, I know, I should upgrade current situation to forum... just
    haven't time to create example videos & more screen captures)

3. docsavage

docsavage

Glad it's working better. I just had a look at the web site you linked to. I'm using the same characters as you for my game. Only in 2 scenes though in the background. Great little character packs those.

4. JOKaija

JOKaija

So much to do... This is endless coding process. A lott of bug fixing, more animations etc... :rolleyes:

Direct link to video

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    MediaGiant likes this.
  5. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Guys, sorry for not responding over the past few days as the alerts notifying me of the new posts aren't working. I was surprised to see the activity on the forum when I visited today.

Welcome JOKaija, good to hear re-importing the Mesh Maker package worked for you and I do sympathize with you on the vertex limit when creating or editing meshes, I was hoping this would increase when Unity went 64bit but nothing changed. Thanks for posting the link to your game video, it appears to be coming along well and has all of the main features implemented.

And a big thanks for helping out Doc :D I've also tested the collection in Unity v5.6.0f3 and it appeared to run fine, though I haven't tested every feature of each program yet.

I've been working on a new application, which is now finished, so I'll submit it for review in the next few days after I finish the artwork, video and tutorial. It isn't related to modeling or editing this time so it feels like a bit of a holiday after three years working with meshes and vertices. :)

docsavage likes this.
  6. juan_poder_azure

juan_poder_azure

Hello, on construction would be possible can change the scale offset below 1 in the next update? im having problems placing windows because of this, i cannot put a size of 0.9 or 0.1 on the feature.

7. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

It should be possible to change the offsets to take a float value, that way you could enter very small values.

The Auto Scale feature might help too as this will make the features fit just right.

8. juan_poder_azure

juan_poder_azure

Thanks for your answer @MediaGiant, working with constructor i have seen what its a very powerfull asset for build houses really fast, the problem its what it mantains all the polys of the walls, tiles etc per separate and because of it is really expensive in performance, would be really cool an option for when you build it convert all tiles, walls, etc in one piece for reduce the polys, this would be Awesome

9. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thank you for your kind comments. I agree that some sort of optimization should be available at the end of the build process to reduce the number of triangles. Merging triangles based on their materials should be possible, creating just the exteriors is another possibility and somebody else also suggested there could be an option to create different levels of detail. I'm considering all of these options and researching different ways to construct buildings that may be faster and more flexible than the current method.

10. recon0303

recon0303

Hi, I have had a few issues and questions. Question one, I been trying to use the level editor with TC2 with multi terrains. Looks like I CAN ONLY select one terrain at a time. I do add the one terrain so I CAN draw on it.

2nd is an issue. Not sure if its a big or what. But I been unable to make a any shape with line tool or rec , circle etc. if I do the lines are hard to see and I CAN'T select any thing to extrude. This has to do with the level Editor tool.

If you need any info let me know. Thanks.

11. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hello Recon0303, I think I can help with those questions.

The Level Editor program doesn't require a terrain to paint on, it draws to the planes centered around the pivot point gizmo, the one with the red, green and blue lines. Wherever this is placed it will form the three planes and you can select the plane to draw to by selecting the XZ, XY or YZ planes on the Level Editor window. You can also move it by unlocking it, moving it to where you are working in the scene and locking it again. By moving it close to where you are building it will prevent errors with the floating point math.

On the settings page of the program, which you can view by clicking on the toolbar at the top of the window, you can select from either Original or Custom lines. I believe the Custom lines look better and are easier to see.

I'm working on updating all of the programs for the next release of Unity 2017.1.0 (currently in beta) and have changed the line rendering code, which looks much better, and will be uploading it to the store as soon as Unity ships the latest version. I think it is scheduled for some time in June. I also lower the terrain a fraction below zero, like -0.005, to ensure that the lines and the terrain are not at the same height since this results in Z buffer fighting.

-Al

12. recon0303

recon0303

I was able to see it better by setting the terrain to -0.10 The issue is why I can't see the lines as my terrain is NOT flat, so its having issues with the areas that have mountains or areas that are flat, which is why I have issues selecting or seeing lines. SO I was able to see it better, but I notice Unity crashes alot and locks up a bit. Using the Level Editor. I mainly wanted to use this for block outs mainly. But really struggling with this map since its full of mountains, bumps etc, I was able to use on another map , but this one has gave me a lot of trouble. I know this tool is in beta. So figured to pass this info along.

PS: This works only for flat terrains. -0.005. May want to set a tad lower.

13. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I do plan on making the program work on surfaces with hills and mountains at some time, but at the moment it is really made to construct on a flat surface, much like SketchUp does. So I would recommend constructing your buildings in a new scene or somewhere flat and then clicking on the Save Prefab button to create parts that you can then place into the scene and onto your terrain.

I also suggest keeping the parts small and modular. Once you have made a part simply click on the New Part button to begin working on the next section of the building. This way you will greatly reduce the likelihood of getting an error as trying to create a whole building as a single part is likely to be problematic and slow to update.

I hope this helps you to work with the program better and to understand how it was intended to function.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  14. recon0303

recon0303

no sorry they don't help as I do all my 3d work in Maya. I mainly was using this for block outs, which it don't work for mountains, so I will just do it my old way with MAYa and Unity itself . I will; wait until you add this.Thanks anyways

Also as someone who does 3d, that is kinda odd, I wouldn't want to have to go back and forth with a flat surface. Then save it then back to save as prefab.. Would rather, just use it inside of Unity, and model say a building, or in my case block outs with out having to go back and forth inside other scenes, exporting and importing etc..Better off Just modeling inside of MAYA, or Blender, then importing into Unity then. To me this don't make much sense as terrains typically aren't flat. Just saying.
    This is my opinion anyways, when I first seen it, I thought this would be great for block outs and such, but NOT so much sadly for terrains. May be fine for levels, as I used it for some of that before. Which worked fine for.

Oh well, I will go back to the same way I been doing it for 20 years. Thanks anyways.

PS: I was making simple shapes, and it was crashing, as I have no desire to model buildings in this program no offense, I was using it mainly for block outs, which are simple shapes. I like some of the other programs, as they are useful to me, as if I forgot something or want to double side, or even extrude a shape, I don't have to put back into Maya which is what I use the other programs for. So keep up the good work .

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  15. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I just ran some tests and can confirm that it doesn't work with multiple terrains, though in all fairness I never claimed it could. When working on a single terrain the mouse clicks will detect the height of the terrain to set the height of the end points of the lines, but the line won't conform to the curve of the terrain. In fact I don't know of any prototyping/building tool on the asset store that is able to follow the curved surfaces of a terrain. The good news is that I have been working on this recently and the image below shows my current progress.

When using Level Editor the important thing to remember is to move the pivot point gizmo (red, green and blue axes tool) to where you are working as it is only accurate up to about 250-300 meters from the gizmo and any further away may cause errors or other problems.

From our first conversation on page 6 I believe you purchased Mesh Maker back when there were 13 tools and have essentially received Level Editor and Snap To Grid for free. So I hope you can excuse the odd fault here or there while I work to make the tool as stable as possible.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    recon0303 likes this.
  16. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm using CSG right now to make the prototype of my game and I'm running into a problem. I'm setting it up so I can subtract from multiple meshes at the same time and I have it so that it works, but only once. You can see the problem in the video below:

As you might be able to see, it throws out "Error during CSG operation" as soon as the mesh just completely vanishes. The odd thing is that my single object solution works fine:

If it helps, here's the code I'm using. The CSGManager object in the scene has this script attached to it:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class CSGManager : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public GameObject[] intersections;
    9.     public void CheckIntersections(Vector3 centre, Vector3 extents)
    10.     {
    11.         Collider[] colliders = Physics.OverlapBox(centre, extents, Quaternion.identity);
    13.         int csgObjects = 0;
    15.         for(int j = 0; j < colliders.Length; j++)
    16.         {
    17.             if (colliders[j].gameObject.tag == "LevelGeo")
    18.             {
    19.                 csgObjects++;
    20.             }
    21.         }
    23.         intersections = new GameObject[csgObjects];
    25.         for (int i = 0; i < csgObjects; i++)
    26.         {
    27.             intersections[i] = colliders[i].gameObject;
    28.         }
    29.     }
    31. }
    And the CSG code itself that I'm using is the following:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. using MeshMakerNamespace;
    7. public class HolyMoly2 : MonoBehaviour {
    9.     public GameObject brush;
    10.     public CSGManager csgManager;
    12.     // Use this for initialization
    13.     void Start () {
    14.         csgManager = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("GameController").GetComponent<CSGManager>();
    15.     }
    17.     // Update is called once per frame
    18.     void Update () {
    19.         if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0))
    20.         {
    21.             RaycastHit hit;
    22.             Ray ray = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay(Input.mousePosition);
    24.             if (Physics.Raycast (ray, out hit, 100f))
    25.             {
    26.                 if (hit.transform.gameObject.tag == "LevelGeo")
    27.                 {
    28.                     GameObject clone = Instantiate(brush, hit.point, Quaternion.identity);
    29.                     GameObject hitObject = hit.transform.gameObject;
    31.                     csgManager.CheckIntersections(hit.point, clone.GetComponent<Collider>().bounds.extents);
    33.                     for (int i = 0; i < csgManager.intersections.Length; i++)
    34.                     {
    35.                         CSG csg = new CSG();
    36.                         csg.Brush = clone;
    37.                         csg.Target = csgManager.intersections[i];
    38.                         csg.OperationType = CSG.Operation.Subtract;
    40.                         GameObject newObject = csg.PerformCSG();
    41.                         newObject.AddComponent<MeshCollider>().sharedMesh = newObject.GetComponent<MeshFilter>().sharedMesh;
    42.                         newObject.tag = "LevelGeo";
    44.                         csgManager.intersections[i].transform.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    45.                     }
    47.                     Destroy(clone);
    48.                 }
    49.             }
    50.         }
    51.     }
    52. }
    Any help would be really great.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  17. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Murgilod, thanks for using CSG.

I'm not sure where the logic is breaking down but if I replace:

Code (csharp):
    1. csg.Target = csgManager.intersections[i];
    with

Code (csharp):
    1. csg.Target = hitObject;
    then it behaves as expected.

I hope that helps you track down the problem.

18. Murgilod

Murgilod

I think I might actually be dealing with a bug in Unity. Some rewriting got the code to work once, but now it's crashing the editor outright whenever I try it. I'll have to poke around a bit more. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though!

edit: Or not... On a lark, I tried using a less fully featured CSG tool and managed to get it to work without crashing. I'm not sure where the issue is coming from.

edit 2: Or not, again. This one worked fine for a few operations and then started crashing on the first operation as well. Hm.

edit 3: It seems that it just completely fails when I have more than two objects that I'm subtracting from. Not sure what's going on.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  19. dansav

dansav

Is there a polygon reducer or decimator in mesh maker?

20. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hello dansav, not at the moment, though I have had requests for a polygon reduction program to add to the collection so it is on the agenda.

docsavage likes this.
  21. loneCuboid

loneCuboid

I'm using CSG to make mesh subtraction, My target is bigger mesh (Scaled up primitive quad) and my brush (Primitive cylinder) is scaled down to 0.01 bascilay I'm trying to drill holes into a mesh. My problem is when I use scale around 0.01 - 0.05 the new mesh is incorrect, Is there a scale consideration when the subtraction happens I have to try changing [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]EPSILON valve but no luck. If I use a brush scale around 0.1 it works fine. any suggestions???[/FONT]

22. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Black_Cloud, as you mentioned the CSG operations do take the scale of the two objects into account. Normally changing the epsilon value to something smaller would be the best solution, but I will have to do some tests to see if the program is able to handle such small scales.

23. loneCuboid

loneCuboid

Hello, Thanks for the heads up I have played with the value and set to something like CSG.EPSILON = 1e-7f;
    It very random outcome due to some time it works and sometimes it crash unity, I have seen a log message "Error During CSG Operation" but without no further details, Plese let me know what did you managed to find out thanks. By the way, I'm using this in run time when a raycast intersect.

24. GarethIW

GarethIW

Hey @MediaGiant!

Just started using Mesh Editor - really love it. I'm using it to cut a hole in a terrain that's been generated with PolyWorld:

I couldn't find any mention of a way to set the vertex color of vertices that are added with the tool. Did I miss it somewhere? Would be really useful when working with vertex-colored meshes - as you can see in the screenshot the added vertices don't have a color and therefore render as black.

Would be great to be able to set the color of vertices selected in Vertex mode, and perhaps when splitting an edge there could be an option to take an average of the two connecting vertex's colors to give to the added vertex?

I did have a quick look to see if any of your other tools handled vertex coloring but didn't see anything.

25. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi GarethIW, thanks so much for your feedback. As you mentioned the program is able to add vertices to a mesh but isn't able to calculate what color the vertex should be. Vertex painting is one of those features that I've been meaning to add for a while now. In the meantime I would suggest using a free asset like this one https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/user-tools/painting/toz-vertex-painter-36688 as it should do what you need.

26. GarethIW

GarethIW

Thanks for the reply, just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything! Will check that one out :)

27. Dr_Fragg

Dr_Fragg

Hi,

I'm trying to use the prefab maker, and getting this error when I combine:

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEngine.Mesh.Clear'.
    MeshMakerNamespace.PrefabMaker.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:283)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:276)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:243)

I'm using 2017.2.0b6, is this a unity 2017 incompatibility?
    Thanks!

28. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Dr_Fragg,

I would be very surprised to find that they were deprecating the Mesh.Clear() function. It could be that the beta version has a long way to go but I will install it to find out. The current version that the program was tested with is 2017.1.0f3 so I hope that is suitable for now.

29. GregBahm

GregBahm

Is RuntimeCSG only available in the editor's runtime? I'm trying to use CSG in a MonoBehaviour during the game's runtime, but the solution is giving the following error:

The primary reference "CSG" could not be resolved because it has an indirect dependency on the .NET Framework assembly "mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" which has a higher version "4.0.0.0" than the version "2.0.0.0" in the current target framework. BooleanMeshTest

30. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi GregBahm,

Not that I am aware of. I thought all builds referenced mscorlib.dll since it contains the System.Object implementation. It should be referenced automatically but you could also add it yourself. The path to it is C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\MonoBleedingEdge\lib\mono\unity\mscorlib.dll

Many people have purchased and are using CSG and this would be the first time I have heard of such an issue so I will need to look into this further. In the meantime I found the following information relates to the problem https://blog.lextudio.com/how-to-re...-issues-in-visual-studio-msbuild-84965aaf6f47

31. GregBahm

GregBahm

Thanks for the reply.
    Great to hear RuntimeCSG should be available at the game's runtime. I'm probably doing something dumb but I can't figure out what.
    Here are my steps.

1. Create new Unity Project using Unity 2017.1.0f3

2. I import CSG.

3. I attempt to add the RuntimeCSG monobehaviour to an object in the scene, but it isn't available. This makes sense to me, because the script is in an "Editor" folder.

4. So I move the script and the DLL out of the "Editor" folder. Now I can add the behaviour to an object, but it just produces a NullReferenceException.

5. I open up the RuntimeCSG Monobehaviour in Visual Studio, and that's where it tells me about the .NET version 4.0 dependencies.

I tried fiddling around with various Unity settings, but I couldn't find anything that would solve the problem.

32. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Moving the script out of the Editor folder is certainly recommended. I would say that there is a mismatch between the .Net versions in your project and those used to create the DLL. You may be able to change the Target Framework Version within the properties of your project, or if you would like to write to me at support@meshmaker.com I will give you the source code files for the DLL which will allow you to add them to your current project.

33. recon0303

recon0303

I missed this post from awhile ago, nah I don't fault this at all. I actually worked it out. what I needed to do. Your others tools save my arse a lot ...so makes it painless...for example if I need to move a pivot point, or double side something, so the tools are very useful regardless... and no you never said anything about Multi terrains I just assumed it did. so that was on me. I like the tools regardless. /cheers

MediaGiant and docsavage like this.
  34. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thanks recon0303, I'm glad to hear you found a way to work with multiple terrains.

And just to let you all know that I will be releasing a new utility in a day or two. It's called LOD, which performs mesh combination, decimation and level of detail, all in one. As the subtitle goes "If you want a very cheap tool that generates reasonable results, most of the time, then LOD is for you."

It'll be available on the store as part of the Mesh Maker collection, and as a standalone package for $10. I will post the links as soon as it goes live.

35. docsavage

docsavage

This looks the business! Thanks for adding this.

hopeful and MediaGiant like this.
  36. recon0303

recon0303

awesome, glad to hear, Simple LOD was the only one, that was left, and its inactive for over a year, so this is good news.

MediaGiant likes this.
  37. recon0303

recon0303

I hope if you ever decide to close down Mesh Maker, hope this don't happen, but if it did, you offer source...I never buy tools with out source, but I did this tool and I have no regrets, my only concern I keep seeing assets abandoned, that you give the source, if you decide to leave.:') I hope you don't but if you did.

docsavage and MediaGiant like this.
  38. hopeful

hopeful

Wow! Looks great! :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    MediaGiant and Akshara like this.
  39. Vern_Shurtz

Vern_Shurtz

Hello,
    I have a character that I imported into Unity from iClone with facial blendshapes and trying to figure out a way to increase detail around the shoulders with some mesh smoothing. Doing so in 3ds Max destroys the blendshapes and iClone only has realtime smoothing for use in iClone. Does not export. Would Mesh Editor allow me to do this and retain the blendshapes?

40. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi, Mesh Editor will preserve the blendshapes of the edited mesh, unless you are cutting or deleting triangles. The edited vertices will follow the animation just fine. It will also allow you to select a group of triangles and apply smoothing to them. The only problem I can see is that you want to increase the detail, by adding triangles or splitting them, which is possible, but the program is not ideally suited for this. It really depends on what you had in mind for this step.

41. Vern_Shurtz

Vern_Shurtz

Thank you for your reply.

42. ZoneOfTanks

ZoneOfTanks

Question - does LOD creation function work with big meshes which Unity automatically split into parts on import? o_O

43. snacktime

snacktime

The latest updates breaks builds. Moving Files/LOD to the Editor folder fixes this.

44. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I believe it would, as long as the generated mesh is smaller than the Unity limit. The split meshes would need to be nested under one game object but it will scan the tree for all meshes to create the LOD.

ZoneOfTanks likes this.
  45. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thank you for letting me know and for sharing your workaround. I'll look into this for the next update.

46. HansKPersson

HansKPersson

Hello,
    have few weird problems with constructor, 1 is "imported" furniture" going missing or the walls go missing instead and moving furniture with move Z axis both arrows is same direction and not small steps about 3K each press. (yes most problems is found with 2017.1.1f1 build) and no I don't really know how to duplicate it.

and kind of curious how things going with the development of new upgrade last we spoke you was thinking of rewriting the code for the current was limited but you said you was distracted with other projects.

47. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi HansKPersson, it sounds like the prefabs may have been removed from the project after the build. This would also explain the missing walls. If the materials are removed then the walls will not appear, but changing the material count and replacing them should fix this. I can't say I've seen this behavior in my tests, except in the above case.

I believe Construction is a solid program, and I am looking forward to expanding on it in the future. At the moment I am between projects and will consider this, but I do have a few other program ideas I might explore first.

48. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Hi all,
    This asset looks really promising. One noob question though, Can we use this for converting terrains to meshes? If yes, then will it retain the textures as original terrain.

49. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thank you for your question. At the moment there isn't a feature for this within the collection. I will consider this for inclusion in a future update.

AbhishekRaj and ZoneOfTanks like this.
  50. Fostac

Fostac

Hello,

I bought the Level Editor as it looked very promising for quickly creating rooms for my game. After some practice it gets easier to build anything you want, especially indoor scenes with rather simple geometry.
    But unfortunately I didnt manage to get results that can work with baked Lighting.
    See below the result when baking a lightmap to an asset created by the level editor. May it be an issue with UV maps?
    Otherwise awesome tool,looking forward the solution and further updates!

Attached Files: