Search Unity

Medieval Kingdom/Village Simulator - Resources

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Skyfall106, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

Hey, guys! So I am trying to create a Medieval Kingdom/Village simulator where you need to collect resources to upgrade things like buildings, walls etc. One thing I'm really stumped on is how to add resources to my game as in Wood, Stone, Food and things like that. I've looked for tutorials and none of the things I have found work or are related to what I need. Can somebody PLEASE help me with this!

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

If you havent already - check the game design thread.
    Ive lurked about several threads related to resource management, balancing and other related topics.
    A lot of devs from this community have provided some high level, experienced knowledge and suggestions related to resources.

3. Murgilod

Murgilod

It sounds more like they don't know how to implement those systems like... at all, which is really more a job for the learn section so they get a grasp of the fundamentals of implementing beginner-to-intermediate concepts.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. cdarklock

cdarklock

All of these are currency.

You know how in pretty much every game, you will do a thing, and get some points?

Currency is when you can spend those points on another thing.

So you do a thing, and it adds currency. Then you go do another thing, and it takes away some currency, and you get stuff.

It's not actually wood or stone or food. It's just a number.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

But that would be a script wouldnt it? Would would the script be

6. cdarklock

cdarklock

That depends on a lot of things. What you seem to be having trouble with here is the idea that all game activity is divided up into little things, and those little things are eventually all the same.

For example, there's a tutorial on the Learn section of the site where you roll a ball around and pick up cubes, and it counts up a score until you win.

If you watch a different tutorial on how to make a 3D modeled character walk and run around, you can use the same information from the first tutorial to put out cubes for your 3D character to pick up, and count up a score till you win.

Go watch some other tutorial on how to make a store, and instead of having your character win if their score gets to a certain point, you can have them spend their points in the store.

Replace the cubes with disks, and hey presto you can walk around your level collecting coins to buy things.

It is really hard to find one tutorial that teaches you how to make a 3D character walk and run around collecting coins to buy things in a store. But there are dozens of tutorials out there to teach you the pieces of that. You just need to collect them and put them together.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

Makes Sense. At the begging I always asked everything at once and got nowhere but then I decided to go bit by bit and it got better!

LMan likes this.
  8. cdarklock

cdarklock

This is literally the difference between programmers and the rest of the world. The best programmers aren't the people who write the best code or who know the most stuff, they're the people who can break the biggest problems into small pieces. It is the most valuable skill you can know.

RavenOfCode, JoeStrout and Ryiah like this.
  9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Since we are in game design, let's run with it.

The key with resources is they should reinforce the central premise of the game. In a strategy/simulation game, players will be sending a lot of time with the resource system. So you want it to work in nicely with your game.

It's also worth considering the 'not resources' too. Population caps, energy limits, building space, all of these types should be considered in a resource system.

So what's the central prednisone of the game that we are reinforcing? The resource system of MineCraft looks very different from the resource system of Stronghold.

Ryiah and cdarklock like this.
  10. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Silly me - replyed from mobile and didn't see this was in game design. :confused: