Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

maximum triangles or polygon count for the car in IOS Game

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by kapilkundan, Feb 25, 2011.

1. kapilkundan

kapilkundan

To make a 3d model of car maximum triangles or polygon count for the car in IOS Game. ??

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

try it out

there is no hard limit it depends on a plentitude of factors related to the rest of the stuff in the world and view etc

3. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I thought I would throw in my two cents. I have been a Nintendo DS developer for a few years....I shipped out Need for Speed Undercover and NFS Nitro on the DS as well as Hot Wheels Track Attack on Wii and DS, so have a few car games under my belt (not bragging by any means, just want you to know the source of my knowledge) The DS is an inferior platform to the iPhone platform (even at the 3G level), so these limits should be a very safe zone for iPhone dev. We used (4) LODs....LOD0 was around 1200 triangles (garage model), LOD1 was around 600 triangles (Driveable vehicle), LOD2 sat around 300 triangles and LOD3 was around 150 tris. Now remember these were specs for most of our Nintendo DS car racing games. The DS was hard capped to render no more than 2000 triangles on screen for any given frame, after that a build would literally drop out rendering polygons. I believe the iPhone 3G had a kind of performance cap at around 7,000 triangles on screen as well. You have to consider how many vehicles will be on screen at any given time, how detailed of an environment you will have and other factors such as view culling, culling using the skydome, fog settings, etc. Sometimes things like inefficient code bog down frame rates worse than any art....but that's a whole nother story.
    In final I would say, focus on the silhouette of your vehicles, and try to texture in as much detail as you can, and skimp on the polygon usage.... this way you will have a lot of memory left for other cool things! :)

4. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

I think there is no tri count cap. Here are my tests:

www.youtube.com/user/MrFuzzy3d?feature=mhsn#p/u/10/zCcyHyhYGNs
    www.youtube.com/user/MrFuzzy3d?feature=mhsn#p/u/8/HHMOW6nEgds
    www.youtube.com/user/MrFuzzy3d?feature=mhsn#p/u/9/LAjVj4yIhb4

I think barrier is memory but here are no tri limit (old Unity ver. have tri count import limit (I don't know why)- is gone). There are many other factors, but i think 200k tri in view frustum for 25-30FPS is possible.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  5. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Wow Fuzzy... those are amazing tech videos! I've subscribed to you on Youtube! I think I can definitely glean some knowledge from you sir.

6. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Thank you James. Apple hardware is really good and Unity is perfect now. I am hobbyist only.

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

Very sweet videos :)

The itouch4 on the cpu end (poly limit, draw call limit) really is a joy with its 800mhz :)
    The ipad even more so when it comes only to that as the videos show pretty well :)

Unpleasantly, you will hit the wall pretty fast if you try to use more complex materials and real environments where overdraw happens etc as the retina and ipad resolution can bite you extremely fast. But none the less these vids show the power that the cpu and rest of the devices would have, if the gpu weren't underspeced, pretty well :)

8. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Thank you dreamora.

When i have 10k tri on screen (all into view frustum) how much speed difference is when none of tri overlap another versus every tri is one after another? Sorry my english.

I know about alpha-testing problems/optimalizations.

Here is my very quick test- big city enviromnent:
    http://www.youtube.com/MrFuzzy3d#p/u/6/IuODBLqneVQ

(faster on iPod Touch 4G subjectively, but iPad also absolutely smooth (native resolutions))

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  9. giyomu

giyomu

cool vids :)

from my experience you can really push on 4g, but well you also need to take in consideration what else happens in your game, and how it happens.

anyway i guess that after new version of ipad and possibly iphone coming ...the limit will ( or should ) be considerably raise , more and more this spec question will become obsolete hehehe :))

10. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

correction: import limit still alive :(

11. gamma.psh

gamma.psh

just my 2 cents,
    my experiance is that polycounter says very few for performance, you can have 20 objects with 3k polys per object in, with a diffuse material, absolutely fluent.
    And you can have 3 object with 3 k polys, that has transparency, make it fill almost the whole screen, and you can count your frames with your fingers.
    Material and Texture settings have much more of an impact then 1 or 2k poly's more or less.

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

It depends on how many pixels are not redrawn / have to be redrawn due to the triangles.
    if no pixel is overdrawn additional times due to the transparency on the non overlapping, they have the same cost (so if the area behind the triangles is opaque and the transparent ones are the front layer for example)

But unhappily transparent triangles tend to not be that nice and cause overdraw where otherwise the gpu could do early out a la "oh cool, opaque pixel in front of me, so scrap this one without processing"

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  13. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Im approaching this issue right now with a full city thats about 50k triangles. Its set up to cull huge sections though, thanks to rows ofbuildings blocking views.