Search Unity

Materials and Texture issues

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Jofnir_IceSesh, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Jofnir_IceSesh

Jofnir_IceSesh

Sorry if I'm making a noobie mistake, I am just that haha. I've been using blender for a little bit, but this is the first time Im actually trying to texture and what have you. So I'm making kinda a cartoon grenade-like thing and Im running into issues.

Here is what I have setup in blender, and it turns out the way I want it to. (Ignore the S***ty res, this is justfor testing purposes, not trying to make it look pretty)

here is the grenade with the uv map arrangement.

Heres how I have my materials setup. Material.001 being the uv material? and the "Texture" being the grip material (At the bottom of post is the results)

Heres how they are both setup in the textures tab

Applying the grip texture via texture paint

Heres where Im having troubles. When I import it to unity, it looks like this and doesnt import any of the textures/materials properly? Am I doing something wrong? Its just a very messy process for me. I can get it work but its a result of pressing random things and just generally not knowing exactly how to do this lol. I know im missing something simple..

And heres the 1 material in imports

So can someone help me? Ive spent so much time trying to search this up and piece together things from videos and online tuts but its not sticking. Can one of you guys explain what im doing wrong?

Also, adding normal maps. I know how to do it in unity, but what about in blender?

EDIT:
    So Im stupid and forgot to import the uv texture and set it to the material. I did that, and it fills in the main colors but why not the grip texture thats in the blender render? Heres a pic in unity without the grip texture showing up for whatever reason

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Cygon4

Cygon4

First, have you set your Blender Render view to GLSL (or are you using Cycles Render mode, in which case it doesn't matter)?

blender-glsl-shading.png

If the materials show up in that mode in Blender's view, they should export.

Second, Unity will create one Material per Texture path (unless the model's material naming scheme has been configured differently). Could it be that your mesh has two material slots, but both use the same diffuse texture?

unity-multiple-materials.png

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  3. Pengocat

Pengocat

To clear some things up.
    1. A Polygon(triangle) can only have one Material assigned
    2. A Mesh can have several Materials*(1)
    3. A Material can have several Textures
    (1) A single Mesh that has several Materials assigned is only really necessary if the Material settings(Shader etc.) varies. For example if you got a character you may have one Material for clothes(standard Shader) and another Material for the skin(Subsurface Scattering Shader) and so on.
    If you use one Material for the shoes and another material for the jacket but they use the same Material settings except for the texture then you are wasting draw-calls and make things unnecessary complex.

By default when you export a model from Blender to Unity only the material names and the base colour will be carried over. You need to setup the Material again in Unity and import the textures needed for the Material.

4. Jofnir_IceSesh

Jofnir_IceSesh

Ended up trying out cycles instead and the whole node based system works a lot better and is easier imo

5. Jofnir_IceSesh

Jofnir_IceSesh

snip

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  6. Jofnir_IceSesh

Jofnir_IceSesh

A few hours later after constant searching and learning.. I've managed to answer my own questions. Its taken me awhile to get this far and I dont plan on stopping now!

I decided to make a new model. Decided with making a knife real quick and played with texturing. Here is my result:

EDIT: Ill just make another thread for this one, this question was answered. Thanks guys

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017