Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Map Magic World Generator - a node based procedural and infinite game map tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Mar 10, 2016.

1. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

@Wright
    First off, thankyou and congratulations - this is a great asset, and really well-designed. I've been making a similar thing myself for a few months but, to be honest, your modular approach is much cleaner than mine, so I think I'll just ditch my own and use mapmagic instead!

A few comments/questions:

a.) The link for "Manual" from your homepage (http://www.denispahunov.ru/MapMagic/) is broken. It goes to
    http://www.denispahunov.ru/MapMagic/wip.html
    instead of
    http://www.denispahunov.ru/MapMagic/Manual.html

b.) Rather than just the incline of a face as returned by the Slope component, it would be useful to also extract normal direction - i.e. to allow moss to only grow on a north-facing slope?

c.) I can see that you can set a "global" seed at runtime using MapMagic.MapMagic.instance.seed. Does that overwrite the input seed specified for all generators? What if you have several forests and want them to be seeded separately - can you set individual generator seeds at runtime?

d.) For the "Simple Form" generator, it would be useful to be able to tile in the x and y axes separately.

e.) For what it's worth, I'm making a 2D sidescrolling game, but set against a 3D terrain backdrop. I've therefore created a few "2D" generator variants - like a scatter generator that only creates objects on a plane where z=0. I'd be happy to upload these to a "community repository" of additional generators if anyone wants to host one somewhere :)

2. secondsight_

secondsight_

Hello fellow Map Magicians,

Over the weekend I figured a pretty easy way to generate unlimited islands (for a strategy game map). The size of the landmass can vary from tiny reefs to whole continents. I thought, I´d share this: http://imgur.com/a/rTZXf

And regarding to this I have one question:
    How can I make terrain generation happen from a player objects position instead of the game camera ?

Cheers

Edit:

Since it is possible to save whole node graphs now, I´ve just uploaded it. http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=07850997853505859351
    Of course, the source texture files are missing, but I have just used three and some grasses / trees.

Here is a small shot showing the interesting values:

The sizes are the ocean and lake patches. Bigger number, bigger oceans.

@tanoshimi
    Yes, that problem also puzzles me. But for my current project I can use a very large waterplane. The player might never reach the end of the ocean. But I have also tried your approach, but failed miserably. Both performance and visuals were not working properly.

Another Edit
    (no need for a new submission):

I´ve started testing settlement generation:

...with intensity / population control...

... turns out pretty good for a simple noise with houses on top :) Man, I love MM

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  3. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

That looks great, thanks for sharing @secondsight_ !
    I also have a question for you - how did you go about creating the (potentally infinite) water plane?

I'm currently using Water 4 Advanced, and my thought was to create a water tile that matched the size of each terrain chunk, then add one water plane per chunk generated in the OnApplyCompleted() callback. But that means I'd add a water plane to every chunk, even those that were inland chunks that perhaps never reached sea level. I wondered if you (or anyone else!) had a better suggestion?

4. ThomasBrix

ThomasBrix

The right click menu is quite broken in Unity (5.4.0f1) on Linux.

I'm not doing any left clicking in the video.

EDIT: I have managed to create a terrain but adding textures is impossible because of the menu issue.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  5. LaneFox

LaneFox

Picked it up yesterday, pretty amazing! Whats the workflow for using this with RTP? Is it only supported if we lock the terrains and customize them with RTP or is there some way to integrate it so that the auto-generated terrains use RTP and its setup?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  6. kulesz

kulesz

AFAIK RTP intergration is somewhere on the roadmap - no ETA though.

7. secondsight_

secondsight_

I have encountered a problem: While generating some cities, a few buildings are also generated for no reason
    outside the desired spaces.

I have setup the ocean floor as a beach and assigned the texture. This layer is above the "city layer", so something
    like this should not happen, right ? Is this probably a bug ?

Also, I´d like to ask again:
    How to make the terrain generate from a player object perspective instead of the camera ?
    I would be nice to have an option to assign a single camera (or an asset in general) for this. This way, the terrain would be generated around a player object but NOT the camera. This is obviously useful for strategy games with generated worlds :)

And since I´m already here:
    Please add a height node ! Like the one here from world machine. Curves are nice and all, but not precise enough in some situations.

Thanks !

8. sarum

sarum

a height node with a min/max and a noise/detail field would be indeed very helpful.

9. Wright

Wright

Hi guys, I dove in to the work for some days and I'm glad to inform that the new version will introduce not only biomes feature, but a more reliable XML node serialization too.

secondsight_, I'd like to congratulate you with creation of a cool island map - it really look gorgeous, especially from the birds-eye view. And thanks for sharing your graph! I'd like to take a look in a bug with a houses in the sea - does it exists in a shared data?

tanoshimi, Thanks! And hat tip for pointing out a wrong link, I've fixed it.

The global seed parameter does not override the seed of each generator and do not change the generator's seed values in any way. Instead the generators use two seed parameters at once - consider it like a sort of seed sum.

That sounds cool. I plan to start a wiki page for storing community generators once I'll deal with the biomes. It would be great to see your generator here.

Unfortunately the tiling algorithm works in an "all or nothing" way, but if I'll get more requests for that feature I can re-write it.

2all:
    Are there any Linux users? Can you please try to reproduce this problem?

LaneFox, unfortunately RTP is not designed to work with the terrains that do not exist, and just copying the component from pinned terrain to the dynamic ones does not solve the problem. I have this feature in my to-do list, but I can say for sure that it will not be made in the next version, so yet RTP support remains only for the pinned terrains.

Btw kulesz made a terrain shader that is compatible with the MapMagic. I have not tested it yet, but the screenshots show pretty cool results. Here is it's forum thread. And since it's a pure shader with no script component it should work with dynamic terrains too.

I've added this two generators to my list, I cannot promise them in the next version, but since they are not extra-complex I hope I'll implement them soon.

Yeah, that's a point. I think I'll make a feature to generate the terrain around all objects with a certain tag.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    stevenson and julianr like this.
  10. LaneFox

LaneFox

That's completely understandable, thanks =)

11. ThomasBrix

ThomasBrix

I have been looking into PopupMenu.cs. If I delete this.editorWindow.Repaint(); from OnGUI then the menus works as expected.

12. Wright

Wright

But ceases to work in Windows.

So I guess I will use UNITY_EDITOR_WIN and UNITY_EDITOR_OSX directives to exclude this line in Linux. Btw strange thing: there seems to be no UNITY_EDITOR_LINUX - at least the documentation does not mention it.

13. kulesz

kulesz

As far as I know, there is UNITY_EDITOR_LINUX, although it is not mentioned in the docs (like many Unity things) :)

14. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

What's the best way of knowing whether all terrain chunks have been generated at scene start? I need to instantiate other elements in the scene that depend on the terrain height (including the player's starting location!) so I need to wait for MapMagic to have completed all chunks before proceeding with other parts of scene initialisation.

I've found the OnGenerateCompleted callback which gets fired once for each chunk (and I'm finding that useful for other purposes), but that doesn't tell me whether all requested chunks have completed. I tried checking in that callback whether runningThreadsCount == 0, thinking that that would indicate the last chunk had completed, but it seems an unreliable test - sometimes it returns true before the last chunk has finished, leading to my player being instantiated above a non-existant terrain chunk, and sometimes it returns false even when it is the last chunk, leading to my player not being instantiated at all! I guess that's due to the nature of the multi-threaded timing.

This seems a pretty common use-case, so just wondered what the correct, reliable approach should be?

15. Wright

Wright

bool mapMagicObj.terrains.complete: It will iterate in all currently available terrains and check if each of them is generated and applied. That's what I use to display a "Generating new terrain..." label in demo scenes:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     public class GeneratingLabel : MonoBehaviour
    2.     {
    3.         public MapMagic.MapMagic magic;
    5.         void OnGUI()
    6.         {
    7.             if (magic == null) magic = FindObjectOfType<MapMagic.MapMagic>();
    9.             if (!magic.terrains.complete)
    10.             {
    11.                 GUI.Box(new Rect(Screen.width/2 - 100, Screen.height-100, 200, 27), "Generating new terrain...");
    12.             }
    13.         }
    14.     }
    You can find this script in Demo\Scripts\GeneratingLabel.cs

tanoshimi likes this.
  16. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Ah - thanks for that! (didn't think of looking in the demo scene :)

I've just had a quick go, but it seems that it still sometimes fires prematurely (although maybe that's not obvious when only used in a GUI).
    In my case, I'm waiting for terrains.complete to return true in a loop in a coroutine, after which I perform a raycast to find the height of the generated terrain at a certain point and then instantiate my player there. But sometimes the player is falling through the terrain immediately on instantiation because it seems the terrain (or the collider at least) has yet to be properly generated. I can always chuck in a few WaitForEndOfFrame() after terrains.complete to fix it, but that seems a slightly fragile solution.

I'll carry on investigating and see if I can find what the issue is, or generate a test case at least. Thanks for the input though!

17. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Ah-ha - so it seems the problem is that I was using ForceGenerate() to regenerate the terrain with a specified seed and, when doing that, magic.terrains.complete always returns TRUE in the first frame. Not sure if that's something specific to my setup or whether that's true in the general case, because I tried to do the same in an empty scene and wasn't able to consistently get the same behaviour. This makes me wonder if it's something to do with threading timing?

Anyway - I've been able to work around it by adding a yield return new WaitForEndOfFrame() after the ForceGenerate() to skip a single frame before testing for terrains.complete, which seems to work great. Onwards with development! :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    Wright likes this.
  18. Wright

Wright

Oh, that's right, if your script is executed before the MapMagic then MM still thinks that it has only pinned terrains - and they are ready, so it's not lying when returning "true". Thanks for pointing that out!
    I'm going to make it always return "false" for the very first frame of the game.

19. ThomasBrix

ThomasBrix

Would it be possible to only add used splat textures to the terrains? I don't think I will ever need more than 8 per terrain but I would like to use like 32 in total across all terrains.

20. Hellhound_01

Hellhound_01

Actually I fiddle arround with seasonal changes. When using trees as GameObjects I could already change the leaf color at runtime. Now I will give the generated trees a try ...

What is the best way to access the tree instances of the tree generator? I tried to request those from terrain when OnGenerateCompleted event has been notified. But this seems to work only, when the camera enters a new chunk on movement, on start up the terrain arrays are empty. And how I could access them on pinned terrains?

I know I couldn't change the tree instance materials at runtime while those trees a part of the terrain, but I've some ideas how I could fake this...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  21. Exbleative

Exbleative

Is there anything yet that's like a nice, quick way to solve objects intersecting each other? I know you can subtrahend an object from a different object etc, but I'm talking about scattered/propagated objects of the same type. Should I just write a script or something that checks to see if the object is intersecting another object, and remove if so?

22. Wright

Wright

ThomasBrix, I've made some experiments trying to achieve this in scope of making biomes, but this feature is far from the completion. I'm afraid that the next version will introduce biomes without individual texture set per terrain.

Hellhound_01, I guess the simplest way to get trees on any terrain is to call terrain.terrainData.treeInstances. Are you making it that way?

OnGenerateCompleted will not be called for the pinned terrains in playmode just because they were already generated in editor. You can iterate pinned terrains terrains in first frame with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. foreach (Chunk chunk in mapMagic.terrains.NailedObjects())
    2. {
    3.    Terrain terrain = chunk.terrain;
    4.    ...
    Exbleative, actually scatter generator tries to place all the objects as far from the others as it can. Maybe in some cases it is enough just to increase uniformity value. If not then you can try modifying a subtract generator (a copy of it) to make it work with the same input. I will help you with it if you will encounter any difficulties.

Exbleative likes this.
  23. Hellhound_01

Hellhound_01

Yes this is the way I try to access the tree instances. On start up those lists are empty on generated terrains in the background. But thanks @Wright for your hint with the iteration on pinned terrain, now I could get access this tree-list.

BTW: Actually I'm doing set-up some performance tests to replace the Unity build-in trees with SpeedTree GameObjects (Using the Object-Generator instead of the Tree-Generator). Has anyone experience with this? Is the performance drop on large terrains acceptable?

If the performance gap to height, I think I've to implement some kind of TreeManager to replace the build-in trees at run-time to create seasonal change effects. (I think I've to implement some fading effects between the prefab textures or colors, only changing the seasonal prefabs will be too suddenly).

24. Wright

Wright

If your main goal is to create a seasonal change then I guess the more straightforward way will fit better: do not modify tree instances, but change the tree prototype material parameters instead, and then call TerrainData.RefreshPrototypes. Do you really need to change the prefabs?

"Apply" coroutine assigns tree instances and prototypes to terrain in one frame, while the transform pool objects are assigned 400 per frame. Consider performance the same if you have less than 400 objects, and 10 times slower if you have 4000 of them. Non-pooled objects are created even slower. Trees are really fast - fast to draw, fast to create, and if they could be rotated (at least with a 90-degree step) they would be an ideal tool to draw a forest.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  25. julianr

julianr

Hi Wright. Is it possible to spawn the player on a non-pinned terrain? I guess the terrain would need be generated first to spawn the player onto it. It would be good if it could be generated on game start before player is spawned.

No matter, if not I will just have save points at pinned locations which is pretty much the standard.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  26. Exbleative

Exbleative

Along these lines I've been thinking (and forgive me if I missed a post) it'd be great to just apply a script to whatever camera or object you like with a 'generate terrain around me' check box. I know a 'generate around all cameras' exists, but then it generates around my UI camera for example.

27. Hellhound_01

Hellhound_01

This was also one of my first thoughts. However I've discard this because I suppose this kind of seasonal change would be look too equals. If I modify the prefab material where any tree instance depends on, any tree of this type would be changed in same manner and time. By this reason I would give the seasonal change more variation if I shuffle the start time of the modification (In a simple test I've shuffled the start time and the type of leaf of a single speedtree game object and modify the material instance color). I will take your advise in mind and give it a try. Maybe this could be an easier approach to blend between two prefab material textures instead of a simple color lerp, if I figured out how I could realize this.

Thanks for this information. Yesterday I read several threads about Game Object trees vs. Unity build-in game instances. Most of them fall back to use the Unity build-in trees...

28. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Yes - that's what I'm doing - see my previous conversation. The thing to note is to wait a frame before testing mapMagicObj.terrains.complete and then when that returns true it's safe to place your player.

julianr likes this.
  29. ThomasBrix

ThomasBrix

I have used OnApplyCompleted to remove the unneeded splatPrototypes in "post processing". It works, but it has to run through all the alphaMaps to see if each texture is used, so could be faster.

30. Wright

Wright

Maybe it's better to use tags for that? You will be able to select tag in MM settings, and all objects with this tag (and main camera by default) will act as center coordinates for generating terrain. The drawback is that game object can have only one tag, so if it's already used you'll have to create a child object with that MM tag.

I spoke too soon. I had to return to that and I'd like to announce that unused splat textures will not be applied to terrain since the next version. And since it's done before apply and even before creating splats float[,,] array it has almost no overhead.

Biomes Beta:
    I plan to start version 1.5 beta in a next few days. So if you are the MM user and would like to take part in beta please sign in by filling this form.

docsavage likes this.
  31. Exbleative

Exbleative

Sounds good, easy!

32. Wright

Wright

I'd like to inform that one of the MMWG users, cowtrix, has shared a set of his own custom generators, including this awesome warp node:
    Hats off cowtrix, thanks a lot!

Exbleative likes this.
  33. iddqd

iddqd

Looks great, thanks for sharing cowtrix. Unfortunately there already is a class called SpatialObject so there's a conflict with MM 1.4.

@Wright Is voxeland integration planned for 1.5?

Thanks

34. Wright

Wright

I guess it's just a modification of a standard SpatialObject to make it work with Vector3 scale.

Version 1.5 will introduce biomes, according to user requirements it is the most needed feature. I plan a huge Voxeland refactoring after I will release MM 1.5, and plan to make MM integration in scope of that task.

MrIconic and iddqd like this.
  35. iddqd

iddqd

Great, really looking forward to it!

36. iddqd

iddqd

Yes probably, but it still generates an error ontop of a stock MM 1.4 installation ;)

37. allpay

allpay

Hi, I am searching about how to use Texture Input, Texture Generators and Stamp Generators. However there isnt enough information in manual and also cant find any useful examples. Pls Hlp...

38. TheBraxton

TheBraxton

Am I mis-remembering about MapMagic talking about "eventually" creating planets with this asset :eek:? I think it was this asset anyways that had been talking about it on their roadmap :)?

39. Wright

Wright

allpay, Take a look at this video to see how Stamp and Simple Form Generators could be used, and the Texture Input is similar to the Raw Input (the only difference it uses the texture asset instead) described in the beginning of this tutorial.

TheBraxton, here are the epics on my roadmap:
    - biomes (currently in Beta),
    - Voxeland integration,
    - splines (roads and rivers),
    - using MM as an editor tool (to scatter objects, forest, make a grass coverage, etc. of the existing terrains).

I doubt that there ever were planets because MM internally uses the standard flat terrain, and it's not possible to make a sphere shapes with it. Maybe I meant just a flat land repeating itself in a some distance? Don't you remind when and where I was talking about planets?

2All: I've sent a Beta version 1 to all who filled out the Beta form - please email me if you have filled the form but got no Beta version link; or fill it in if you want to take part in beta test. The main features 1.5 will introduce:
    • Biome Generators;
    • Multiple outputs of the same type in one graphs;
    • New graph/node serialization and import/export in a xml-like format;
    • Flooring objects to terrain is simplified - Relative Height in Object output is used instead of the Floor Generator;
    • New toolbar buttons: generate changed/all, focus generators and zoom graph.
    Please note that it is the first beta version, the further version will be sent to those who provide bug reports or other kind of feedback. And thank you guys for testing MapMagic!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  40. Hellhound_01

Hellhound_01

Has anyone tested the compatibility of MapMagic with the ForestVision asset? Actually I test the free LITE version of this asset. But I got trouble with the import of any created prefab, any prefab lies on z-axis, rotation settings have no effect and any submesh is removed, I only see the base trunk mesh : http://imgur.com/SZNctBC

@Wright is there some restriction with the tree generator imports?

41. Wright

Wright

I don't know any. Tree Output just assigns default terrain tree instances, it does exactly the same that could be done by assigning tree prototype manually and painting with trees on terrain. Do these trees work being assigned to terrain the usual way?

42. Hellhound_01

Hellhound_01

Hmm this is strange. If I add those trees as usual game objects anything is fine.

Meanwhile I figured out that any origin mesh has been rotated by -90 degrees at tree construction. If I reset the transform values to origin, the mesh of the game object lies also on z-axis. I tried several rotations before prefab creation or directly on prefab, this have no effect when using the tree generator, only at the usual game object (the birch at the screenshot in background with branches and leaves is the game object).

43. stevenson

stevenson

Short screenshot or a short written explanation of howto use the biome in mm would be very helpful. I only see that I can switch to it, but no how I can define where I want to use which biome.
    But thanks for the beta!

44. Acissathar

Acissathar

Hey Wright,

I did some more digging and I think I figured out where my disconnect was earlier.

The grass I have is a prefab, and the render mode is set to Grass, and it works perfectly on a normal terrain. The issue I'm having is that the grass node for Map Magic (note I am currently in the evaluation version) offers a Grass rendering mode, but instead of letting me supply a GameObject / Prefab, it only accepts a Texture as if it were billboarded.

Is this different in the release version or is there a way I can supply a GameObject and have it rendered as grass?

Thanks!

45. Wright

Wright

Acissathar, have you tried switching grass output to Vertex Lit mode? Do you still have a texture slot or an object one?

stevenson, here I've made a short video showing how to use biomes. Shortly it gives an ability to mix two independent graphs together using the biome masks. For the one biome I use a demo scene data, and for the other I create it right in a node (it could be saved later) - I'm using kind of desert here. Then I connect noise to demo biome, and inverted noise - to the the desert one. Then I show that the mask can be any map, not only the noise generator.

(give it some time to process)

Hellhound_01, I'll make a rotated tree prefab and try to take a look how to reproduce this bug.

iddqd, nxrighthere and EvilGremlin like this.
  46. Acissathar

Acissathar

Hi Wright, I can and it does give me an object slot but the problem is that the results look like this: VertexGrass

When using standard unity terrain it looks like this if I pass in an object and leave the render mode as grass: ObjectGrass

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  47. recon0303

recon0303

How well has MM worked with Android ?

Also I know its NOT out yet, but do you have any plans to talk to the developer for Unature to see if your tools work together or will get them working? The reason I ask, it seems to work really well with Android... Unature that is .. Unity has always had performance issues when it comes to alot of grass in Android games.... Unature has fixed this, so this is important to us.. Can't share anything else due to it being a beta... But some information has been shared publicly.

The main reason we held off from buying MM is we are waiting on more replies from users to see how well it works with Android...

We are waiting on Biomes.

and hoping to find beta users or developers to see if Unature will work with Magic Map.

What about InfiniGrass? has anyone used MM with InfiniGrass?

Those three reasons have stopped us from buying, but really want to otherwise.

Thanks for any info!

PS: Can the maps be exported out to use in other programs such as World Machine, Terrain Composer etc?? Thanks.!

48. Hellhound_01

Hellhound_01

@Wright Thanks for your offer. I've uploaded my bare birch prefab (without textures) I've created with Forest Vision LITE. To except that the issue is not a compatibility issue of Map Magic I will check out a simple import of this prefab with standard Unity terrain today in the evening.

Attached Files:

49. MrIconic

MrIconic

Didn't think it was possible but @secondsight_ doing settlements like that is interesting. In my case though I just want to flatten or at least even out specific parts of the map to have as potential settlement areas.

I'm assuming the only way to have a generated flattened area for potential buildings is to use the stamp generator.

Note: I know I could pin the terrain and manually edit but since I'd be regenerating the terrain several times from now it would (eventually) require me to wipe it out.

Attempting to use the stamp generator it was a bit confusing to achieve the above. The manual also doesn't reflect the current stamp tool version.

Any ideas to achieve randomized (or specifically placed) flattened (or semi-flattened) areas on my generated maps?

50. Hellhound_01

Hellhound_01

@Wright I've created a simple test with unity standard terrain and got this rotation issue also there. By this reason I think it's not a compatibility problem of your generator.

I read several old threads at midday break about unity tree import problems. Meanwhile I belive that this issue is based on the 3ds max export of the origin tree meshes.