Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Male base 1/Fem base 1 RPG starter and UMA Multipurpopse Avatar

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

The reason the overlays and textures are separate is they can't be merged unless all the textures were redone and put on the same texture which would use a single overlay. Some users require them separate for changing skin tone in game. ie. player choose skin tone on base and then in game they are that tone. If the texture was part of the Ranger texture/overlay, then that isn't feasible as the ranger outfit would change color as well and how do you connect it to the existing base mesh color the player chose?

There is also the new Alpha mask set up btw. It adds an alpha mask that clips the under parts of the base mesh. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time currently to convert everything. Alpha masks are a black and white map. Documentation should be on the wiki or you can ask via Slack Community.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017
    hopeful and Teila like this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Small update. Shirt 3 low poly wip:

Shirt3 lowpolywip.png

3. JoaquinKeller

JoaquinKeller

Hi @justb,
    I was wondering if buying your hair package "UMA Hair Pack 1"
    but it says "Unity 5.0 version Requires UMA PBR" and UMA 2 PBR is discontinued.
    What does it means ? should I use https://github.com/huika/UMA-PBR ?

Or maybe you can send me a sample of the package so I can check if it fits my project...
    Thanks !
    --Joaquin

4. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@JoaquinKeller - UMA PBR has been incorporated into the core UMA as of version 2.5. You don't need anything extra anymore.

It's simply an outdated description.

Teila likes this.
  5. Teila

Teila

UMA used to use legacy shaders but as of Unity 5, PBR maps were added and the UMA material is PBR. His hairs should work fine on the current UMA. I have been using them for some time. :)

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

As the other have said. UMA PBR is now included in the default UMA.

TeagansDad and Teila like this.
  7. JoaquinKeller

JoaquinKeller

8. Demostenes_cz

Demostenes_cz

Ah, maybe we didnt understand each other, I meant to join only meshes, not textures.

9. Demostenes_cz

Demostenes_cz

I understand this soluton, it is quite clever, but it has performance drawbacks. Base mesh will be still there and rendering will be heavier because of alfa tested material. No overhead for 1 character, for 50 quite measurable. There will be also some small overhead for adding alfa mask on body, so instancing will take some miliseconds more. We are planning to have dozens of characters in frustum, so we are very careful about performance. This also means to have as little surfaces/meshes as possible, so we are merging all parts into one mesh on the fly.

But again, we have no issues in achieving what we want or need. Root cause of this discussion was, that base mesh uses body texture, but custom arms/hips for some equip modular textures which was quite confusing, as this wasnt mentioned anywhere.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  10. Teila

Teila

If you join the arms and the stomach to the ranger top, the textures will have to be redone with the skin texture on the same atlas as the outfit. This means, if you change color of the top, the arms will also change color. So tinting will be out of the question and many of us want to recolor.

The other problem is that the skin parts of the atlas cannot share the skin color of the rest of the body. With the arms and stomach separate, you can use the same overlay for arms, stomach, and the rest of the UMA body in the wardrobe and base recipes. That way, if you change skin color on the body, the arms and stomach will be the same skin color.

Really, the way Will did this is the best way.

Base mesh will NOT be there because in the UMA recipe you are hiding that part of the body. You hide anything that is covered by clothing and this case, by custom parts. In the case of the ranger top, you are hiding the entire torso.

Are you actually using this on UMA or trying to use them to set up your own character system? I am wondering because you seem not to really know how to use UMA. There are some videos available on the UMA Wiki and we have a Slack channel too that can help. Let me know if you want an invite.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Deleted User and TeagansDad like this.
  11. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

It's not only necessary for being able to change the color of the skin and armor independently, it's also necessary in order to be able to use a different shader for the skin, such as the FastFakeSkin shader used with Will's SSS body/face texture variants.

It's just good design.

12. Teila

Teila

This is what UMA does. It merges all the items with the same materials into one mesh. Since the body parts and the clothing all use the same UMA material, they will all be merged into one mesh.

13. Teila

Teila

UMA's system will join the meshes. :)

14. Demostenes_cz

Demostenes_cz

Thanks, but we have own system. It works, its done, we have under control what we want and how we want. It merges meshes, creates texture atlases on the fly, etc. Lots of ideas is based on UMA, but done in our way, to have better performance. So I only care about meshes and textures from these UMA packs. For me it does not matter much, if custom body parts are using modular textures, or base mesh texture. Only difference is, that in second case we save some memory/loading by having one less texture.

If I join hip/arms mesh with armor, It will still have two separated materials, so I can use two shaders, etc..Joining meshes does not mean joining materials. I am joining materials only in case, when I prepare atlas. As you told, uma joins meshes automatically, same our system. My idea was just to deliver it joined together with mapping on base texture, so it wouldnt be confusing. Anyway thanks for help, I have answers I need.

Btw, we found lots of small visual bugs, like torso is not fitting on legs perfectly from very close distance, torso is not fitting on hands, etc...so we are going through it right now and preparing some bug report.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  15. kenamis

kenamis

I'd be interested in hearing your way that's better performance, to help improve UMA, if you wouldn't mind.

16. Teila

Teila

I think that if you are doing your own system, you should be responsible for fixing the bugs. ;) How do you know the bugs are not from the changes you have made?

I use UMA extensively and I do not have problems with the torso and legs or hands all matching at the seams. My guess is that you are changing the mesh at those seams and they are not matching or it has something to do with the bone sizes. I am not an expert, but UMA works and the seams are fine.

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

As you said. Your not using the UMA system. The asset packs are for UMA not custom systems.

(They should still work for most RPG style games that don't use UMA though. Most games I've worked on have used this set up. The Blend files are available if you'd like to customize them.)

Please report the bugs, but don't expect them to be solved right away. I will get to them eventually if they are of a large concern (busy with full time work and contracts atm). I've only had 2 people bring it up in 2 years. Either your zooming in too much or they are hardly noticeable for most people's uses. Sometimes a vertice or two might have been missed in the skinning.

I was going to make a separate bug thread previously, but it's fine if you post them here or send to my email. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2017
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Small update. UMA Ranger replacement parts are wip.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2017
  19. Deleted User

Deleted User

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Shirt 3 High poly pre-final:

ScreenHunter_2912 Jun. 27 17.23.png

kenamis, Jaimi and Teila like this.
  21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Shirt 3 low poly final textures:

ScreenHunter_2920 Jun. 29 14.59.png ScreenHunter_2919 Jun. 29 14.59.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2017
    TeagansDad and Jaimi like this.
  22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2017
  23. Deleted User

Deleted User

Shirtpack 2 Shirt 4 High poly pre-final:

ScreenHunter_2924 Jul. 03 13.37.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2017
    Jaimi, kenamis and Teila like this.
  24. hopeful

hopeful

Very nice looks on the fabric folds, BTW. :)

Deleted User likes this.
  25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Mage Tier 2 High poly pre-final:

ScreenHunter_2939 Jul. 07 16.23.png

kenamis, Jaimi, Teila and 1 other person like this.
  26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Kenan's mesh hide feature (if you didn't see it on SLACK):

27. kenamis

kenamis

hah thanks Will. Disclaimer though, it's a WIP still and won't be in the main package until after uma2.6

Deleted User likes this.
  28. Deleted User

Deleted User

New base update. Added underwear, mouth and adjustments. Should work with most hairs. Will be up soon.

Also a reminder. It will work with all existing content. Including any overlays that were used for the default base. They use the same UV space (ie. warpaint, body textures etc).

ScreenHunter_2941 Jul. 09 16.27.png ScreenHunter_2942 Jul. 09 16.27.png ScreenHunter_2943 Jul. 09 16.29.png ScreenHunter_2944 Jul. 09 16.29.png ScreenHunter_2945 Jul. 09 16.33.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2017
  29. Deleted User

Deleted User

ScreenHunter_2946 Jul. 09 16.33.png ScreenHunter_2947 Jul. 09 16.33.png ScreenHunter_2948 Jul. 09 16.34.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2017
  30. KospY

KospY

Nice work :)
    New base feel pretty "heavy" however comparing to the old default one. I assume it's just a matter of moving some DNA sliders?
    Do you plan to do a base update for female character too?

Teila likes this.
  31. Teila

Teila

I think it is an alternative, not a replacement to the default. He is beautiful but won't look good with some of the sliders. A six pack on a beer belly would not work. lol

hopeful likes this.
  32. Deleted User

Deleted User

Possibly. I just thought the default base could use a change, so did this up quickly. As my time is limited I didn't really think about it that much. Just something that looks a bit better then the default.

Yeah. You should be able to do some DNA tweaks I'm sure. The topology is a bit higher then the default base. Will probably test that when I import into engine.

Yes. Eventually (can't give an exact estimate) there will be a female of the same quality if the feedback on this guy is good and you find it useful.

Teila likes this.
  33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yep. Such is indie dev. Thought those girls of yours had mad art skills :)

You can probably just paint a bit of RGB 128 128 255 over it.

Jaimi and Teila like this.
  34. Teila

Teila

Yeah, but they are teens. lol Eventually they will paint them for me. Maybe...if I bribe them. I wouldn't paint over your big guy!! He is meant to be a big muscular guy. :)

Deleted User likes this.
  35. Teila

Teila

He is good and useful. :) Please do the female!

Maybe we can use him in our concept trailer that is coming out, get some feedback. :) He may make the other UMAs look very sad though. lol

Deleted User likes this.
  36. Deleted User

Deleted User

Will do. May be a bit of a wait. Will keep you updated.

Teila likes this.
  37. Deleted User

Deleted User

For anyone who wants to download. Fem Ranger body parts update. (Uses the default UMA UVs). Next will be the male then store update.

Attached Files:

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

Small update.

I'm currently really busy with other contracts and work, but I'm going to try to get the new male base up and on my site soon. Just needs overlays, slots, etc.. Will be a pre-final price (15) until the fem version is up.

Teila and Jaimi like this.
  39. Deleted User

Deleted User

Male Strong Unity scene (wip):

ScreenHunter_3019 Jul. 23 22.55.png ScreenHunter_3020 Jul. 23 22.55.png

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Pre-final plus mesh size adjustments (minus head size) Still wip.

ScreenHunter_3024 Jul. 24 12.22.png ScreenHunter_3030 Jul. 24 12.56.png

kenamis likes this.
  41. malkere

malkere

Heyo.
    I haven't upgraded to the full RPG pack 1 yet, so this might be fixed in there, I'm still on "Lite". Anyway, the Mage leggings can be seen through them above the knees. Cheers!

By the way, I imported the wardrobe recipes that were on your site (SUPER useful, thank you for those @makeshiftwings !) and it looked like there were a lot of hair/skin references that I didn't have. Can you confirm for me that the full RPG 1 pack has not only armors, but hairs and different things in it too? It doesn't mention that on the store page =O I'm buying it either way, but I was curious if I should RIGHT NOW or not ;p would love some more hairs these next few days.

42. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey :)

The robe probably won't be seen from that position, so it shouldn't be a big deal in game. You shouldn't be able to see it from most points of view. (The back of the robe has duplicate faces for culling). If it is, let me know and I'll update it when I have some time. It's a quick fix.

The RPG starter 1 does include the current face pack and hair pack.

43. malkere

malkere

Thanks Will. That's a shot from the character studio I'm making for my game where you can zoom in and pan around the character, so you end up getting to those specific angles. I'm sure no one would see them in game beyond that tho =3 You're busy though, no big deal. I can add a few faces to stop it for that specific occasion.

44. hopeful

hopeful

While I don't have this model, I would say philosophically a model needs to be viewable from all angles, not just a top down / remote 3rd person view or whatever. In my game, for instance, characters can climb, jump high, flip, and fly, so every angle will be seen.

45. Teila

Teila

Maybe, but honestly, most of the AAA games I have played give you weird results when viewing clothing items from all angles. :) So not sure it is possible to be perfect.

TeagansDad likes this.
  46. ecurtz

ecurtz

Fortunately you always have the option of just leaving the legs visible if the performance hit is worth it for your particular game.

Teila likes this.
  47. hopeful

hopeful

I think the customer can always modify the art they buy to fit their own needs. I just wanted to state a philosophical point, that there are indeed reasons to cover every gap.

Teila and malkere like this.
  48. Deleted User

Deleted User

For sure. These however, were made a while ago. As time progresses one learns more about how things works. The main goal currently from my perspective is to create more content.

The goal of making these models was not necessarily that purpose (every angle). The goal was to make 3D models similar to RPG games I've played and tested which for the most part always have issues with their models.

The reasons for this has to do with the most common things: Time and money. To keep going back and tweaking things a modeler missed reduces time spent on other things or meeting your deadline. Sometimes you have to make due.

Of course, for these assets there isn't necessarily a deadline, so we can get some tweaks in here and there.

You'll find the more recent stuff has better culling implementation (minus some human error.)

Back to work :)

hopeful, malkere, Teila and 2 others like this.
  49. Deleted User

Deleted User

Shirt 4 low poly pre-final:

shirt 4 low poly.png

runningbird likes this.
  50. Deleted User

Deleted User

Shirt 4_2 Textures final:

ScreenHunter_3083 Aug. 04 12.45.png ScreenHunter_3084 Aug. 04 12.45.png

mons00n, runningbird, Teila and 2 others like this.