Search Unity

Male base 1/Fem base 1 RPG starter and UMA Multipurpopse Avatar

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Teila

Teila

Oops, sorry about the triple posting, but I did try to fix these in Maya but somehow, they lose their skin rendering if I make any changes at all.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the update Teila. I'm currently pretty busy with these contracts and need to focus on them for a bit. I've attached the mid poly head blend file. From what I've heard Maya has a few issues on export. The shirt pack should have blend files included.

Attached Files:

Teila likes this.
  3. KospY

KospY

Hello Will,

I just bought the UMA wanderer asset but I have seams between the hand and the arm.

I'm using the last UMA 5.3 branch on Github. Can you fix this or tell me what can I do?
    Thanks!

4. Teila

Teila

That is weird. Hmmm.

What base mesh did you use? Yours or the one that came with UMA?

5. ecurtz

ecurtz

Is it possible you're using a female shirt slot and male hand slot?

Teila likes this.
  6. malkere

malkere

Would it be possible to upgrade from the RPG Starter Pack Lite to the full pack without paying the full 300?

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yep. Contact me via email and we can discuss it.

will@willbgameart.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2017
    malkere likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

@KospY I'm not getting gaps. Might be what ecurtz mentioned.

ScreenHunter_2261 Jan. 24 19.23.jpg ScreenHunter_2264 Jan. 24 19.25.jpg

9. treshold

treshold

hi guys and gals! How do you handle hair and helmets? Hair usually clips through helmet.
    1. Modify hair mesh to have separate version when character has helmet.
    2. Modify some transparency to hair texture ( i looked about hair pack and same hair texture is applied to all hair meshes so dunno if UV-layouts would need some modification.
    3. Disable hair totally when helmet is on ( this works usually but with longer hair and helmet without neck cover, it isnt that good solution.

10. Teila

Teila

At the moment, this is the best solution.

treshold likes this.
  11. virror

virror

The problem is also that there are several types of helmets, some are long and some are short and other differences making it very hard to find a modified hair mesh to fit them all. So modifying the hair to fit a helmet would be a ton of work with lots of hair and lots of helmets, so most ppl probably just hide the hair as @Teila said

Teila likes this.
  12. Teila

Teila

Besides, most folks back then wore caps over their heads and then put the helmets on. Hair, especially long hair, could be an easy handle for the enemy. Better to cover it and stick it under the helmet. :)

If the helmet is too short, then add a coif around the neck. A helmet that exposes the back of the head is no worthy helmet at all.

treshold likes this.
  13. virror

virror

Well, all games are not about realism either : p

treshold likes this.
  14. Teila

Teila

Just giving them an excuse to give their players. lol

treshold and hopeful like this.
  15. treshold

treshold

thanks Teila, good workarounds :) , i will go with caps underneath helmets and scarfs around neck ^^ and hiding hair ^^

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yep. Hair would have to be a single UV map. If it was you could possibly use the Alpha Mask property in the newer version of UMA. Unfortunately, doing hair as one UV is not really practical and will down res a lot.

I agree with Teila. They tie it up.

If you wanted to get complicated, you could try baking the current hair to a new UV map and trying the alpha mask thing. That would require duplicating the low poly hair in the .blend file, giving the duplicate a new UV, then baking the original to the new UV. It would probably end up too low res though, but might be good for helmets.

I'll make a note of the length for future helmets.

Teila and treshold like this.
  17. KospY

KospY

Well, the gaps are not really noticeable with the default pose:

However I'm using VRIK and rotating hands clearly show the problem:

As you can see on the right, I'm using the default "maleHands" with the "M_wanderer_torso". I dont use any custom base mesh, only what is included in the last UMA 53 branch.

18. Teila

Teila

Screen Shot 01-25-17 at 05.15 PM.PNG Not sure, but your textures look odd. I wonder if there is some other issue happening here.

This is how it should look.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  19. Jaimi

Jaimi

Maybe the number blend weights in the quality setting is too low? If it's not "4" try setting it to that.

Teila likes this.
  20. Teila

Teila

It is odd because the wall behind the UMA seems very detailed but the body and shirt seem very low quality.

@KospY
    You should join our Slack channel. Someone there could probably help you.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Your right. There's a gap in the weighting. I'm a bit busy with some contracts atm, and will upload it soon.

It was weighted slightly to the forearm. Fixed

ScreenHunter_2268 Jan. 25 19.53.jpg ScreenHunter_2269 Jan. 25 19.55.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2017
    Teila likes this.
  22. Teila

Teila

Poor Will, we keep finding these little issues while you are trying to work. lol Thanks for trying to squeeze us in.

hopeful likes this.
  23. l0cke

l0cke

We have imported all assets from RPG starter 1 and 2 and there is LOTS of small gap issues across many pieces of equipment like this one. Usually visible only from small distance. I will prepare some detailed report with these small bugs.

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

UMA 2 currently has an issue with the latest version of Unity (5.5). Devs are working to resolve it as quickly as possible. New update should be up soon.

treshold, Teila and hopeful like this.
  25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Temporary file fix for 5.5 issue:

Sidenote:
    (Platemail 1 and Bandit armor are delayed until UMA is updated.)

Attached Files:

treshold and Teila like this.
  26. virror

virror

Team is working hard to get it fixed! : )

27. treshold

treshold

oh no, i have refreshed asset store page every day in case bandit armour would appear there :D maybe i should just buy bandit armor from your own store page :D

Deleted User likes this.
  28. Deleted User

Deleted User

treshold, TeagansDad and hopeful like this.
  29. Teila

Teila

Congrats, Will. We will miss all your new releases but it looks like a great opportunity for you. :)

Deleted User, TeagansDad and hopeful like this.
  30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks Teila. It definitely is. Hopefully I can squeeze some more assets out sometime in between or after. There's still a lot of half finished new items here. I'll see what I can get out before then when UMA is back to working.

Teila likes this.
  31. Deleted User

Deleted User

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2017
  33. treshold

treshold

I have troubles buying from your site directly so I sent you email :)

Edit: troubles was only my fault :D thanks justb for fast reply - managed to finally buy Bandit Armor ^^

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Replied :)

treshold likes this.
  35. malkere

malkere

Hey I'm searching through the thread but thought I'd ask while I am. I just bought the RPG starter pack lite, and have imported it in 5.5 with UMA 2.0 build 53 from the Git depository. I've got 29 errors now that I've imported. Is this known? Is there something I'm missing? Cheers.

edit: added UMA PBR, the recommended "UMA body retexture vol.1" is no longer available for download on the asset store, I found it in here though.

edit: I reimported 53 over the starter pack install and the errors are gone, testing now..

edit: working fine =D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  36. Deleted User

Deleted User

Nice :)

Yeah. Unity 5.5 currently doesn't work with UMA 2.0. The Devs are uploading UMA 2.1 very soon which should. The body re-texture will be part of that update and is now the default UMA textures. You can also find it on my site for free:

http://willbgameart.com/product/uma-body-re-texture-vol-1/

malkere likes this.
  37. Deleted User

Deleted User

38. hopeful

hopeful

39. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Yeah.. Having second thoughts about it myself as well. Would have been nice to have had it with their additional offerings along with Will's stuff, but at this point I'm thinking UMA with Will's stuff may be the best solution. I haven't looked at UMA for a while but hopefully we'll be able to do as much (or more) than what MCS was promising. Although a lot of those problems remain empty and unfulfilled, so UMA may already exceed it.. lol

Teila and TeagansDad like this.
  40. hopeful

hopeful

The new UMA is nearly done, and it looks very nice. If you haven't checked it out, it's the Folder Restructure one. It's way ahead of MCS in many respects.

Teila and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  41. Teila

Teila

Remember, if you guys need help with UMA, there are a lot of us here willing to take you through setting it up. :)

Sorry about what is happening with MCS. I own a few of there things and am not happy with the license changes. But regardless, there are other options.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  42. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Hey Will.. At this point if you only support your standalone and UMA, I think all of you regular customers are probably fine with that. After reading the Morph3D response to you, I'm totally done with it and will go back to UMA when I'm ready to get back to work on my RPG. I'm not sure the business model they described it their reply really makes sense for artists/game developers in this type of environment. Although I just read your response that you made while I was typing out mine and I'm wondering if I misread something..

It would really be nice if it was easy enough for you to support UMA, MCS, Fuse, etc with your packs instead of having to jump through hoops to do things different for each one individually.. lol

Teila likes this.
  43. hopeful

hopeful

I don't know. The MCS market could be a place for Will to refit his existing art to MCS and sell it. He just has to figure out if it is worth his while. If it's got as many vendors as the DAZ marketplace, though, I imagine it could be hard to stand out and get enough sales.

However, if they don't get their EULA straightened out, I don't know who would be the buyers ....

44. Teila

Teila

From what I can tell, the DAZ stuff doesn't sell for much. So with a license fee and paying a cut to DAZ, they can't make much on the clothing, especially with all the competition.

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not really. It's all a bit too much work to get a few packs on the asset store. If we have to pay a license for the tools, plus get a reduced share on the store and not have any freedom to give away or use our art as we see fit (ie. vouchers and so on) running our own store/site and whatever else.

Their solution to this better be pretty good one or no one's really going to see very many sales at all. Especially as Teila says with competition and also depending on how many user there are.

I just can't see my asset art being given over fully to them. It's not like it's a game studio NDA or anything. It's and asset store.

I might do up a few items here and there to see how goes and judge the feedback. (also depends on the GDC presentation)

I'll be working full time for Pantheon Rise of the Fallen come April, so I won't really have much time at all to make/convert stuff. It will probably be mostly weekends for a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2017
    BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  46. Deleted User

Deleted User

UMA feels more indiedev oriented and I think it's great that way. ie. the community working together to make it better and get some nice games/prototypes out. Plus it's open source. Just seems more fun really.

47. Teila

Teila

I agree, it is ours, all of us. UMA belongs to the Unity users, not to some company wanting to make profit. We really value artists like Will who make fabulous stuff. :)

48. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

AWESOME! I've been following it since it was initially announced. I know Brad has had some bad publicity but I love his vision on game worlds. Loved Vanguard Saga of Heroes through the beta up to the point that Microsoft backed out and SOE got involved again. Was all downhill from there. The very early betas of Vanguard were very challenging. I think the game got dumbed down too much making a lot of the core fanbase to lose interest.

Can't wait to see your work in Pantheon!

hopeful and Deleted User like this.
  49. Deleted User

Deleted User

New UMA base. Uses the default base mesh Albedo texture with nipple tweak. UVs are the same. Just normals and shape have changed.

Works with Armors:

ScreenHunter_2415 Feb. 26 17.05.png ScreenHunter_2418 Feb. 26 17.06.png ScreenHunter_2419 Feb. 26 17.07.png ScreenHunter_2420 Feb. 26 17.07.png ScreenHunter_2424 Feb. 26 17.30.png

Firlefanz73, kenamis, hopeful and 3 others like this.
  50. Deleted User

Deleted User