Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Male base 1/Fem base 1 RPG starter and UMA Multipurpopse Avatar

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Teila

Teila

You are using that stadium with some UMAs and you think that 144 fps is bad? What are the tris/polys/material count of that stadium without the UMA's?

I think UMAs are the best of the bunch and bad reviews are, as Virror says, because of the difficult of use and the lack of good solid documentation.

2. justtime

justtime

Skinned mesh optimized well(max level) and they all (192 characters) ~ 400k. Another tris it's static level geometry which not affected CPU so much.

3. justtime

justtime

It's not UMA. It's simple skinned meshes. Without them i have 1300fps

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  4. Teila

Teila

But why do you need 1300fps? Everything you add to the game will cause the fps to drop, including adding skinned meshes. I am going to do a series of tests over the next few weeks with UMAs in different scenes and will compare results here. I am very happy if I can build my scenes have have a lag free game. ;)

I would guess you are making a mobile game, where fps is very important, or VR where it is even more important. I don't know if UMAs even work in mobile or VR due to the polys, etc. You might consider a low poly character in that case.

justtime likes this.
  5. Teila

Teila

@justtime One thing you might consider....I know some of the guys have discussed new versions of Unity affecting performance. You might want to check and see if it could be something like that. I have watched them struggle with this issue lately and it could explain why your performance is dropping so much.

6. l0cke

l0cke

Well, bad reviews are probably from people, who have absolutely no clue how to use it. UMA saves lots of time, because any character system need lots of code and at the end you will make something very similar to UMA. I dont know deep technical details of Unity implementation, we are using UMA in different engine, so we had to code everything from scratch, but at the end solution is very, very similar. You need LODs, you need altases for distant LODs and even some bone reduction and reduction of number of verteces per bone (use simplygon) helps. In UMA powertools all these things are covered. UMA is great framework and you can achieve fantastic results, if you know how to use it.

TeagansDad and justtime like this.
  7. l0cke

l0cke

Numbers like 1300 ale nonsense anyway, it is not possible to measure such high numbers precisely. Skinned meshes are quite heavy, so FPS decrease is logical. Btw UMA is skinned mesh like any other, only with lots of code around. Code, you need to write anyway.

8. virror

virror

UMA works perfectly fine both in VR and mobile, you just have to be a bit careful, cant use 100 UMAs at the same time ; )

Teila likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Try removing some texture maps ie. AO. It can be added via gimp or photoshop.

The models are not high poly and the rig is simple. I'm not sure where the issue could be other then LOD and loading texture maps. The models are average 6k-12k (12 being the very highest).

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Are you saying you have a 192 characters on screen? That's a lot.

I'll ask again, are you using LODs for them? 400k worth of characters is a lot of polygons to animate at once. Sounds like everything is at LOD 0.

If your trying to fill the stadium benches, you'll have to use another solution. This kind of thing is usually done with billboards or very low poly models.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2016
  11. justtime

justtime

Yes, i've tried Mesh Baker, Simple LOD, atlases, mesh combining(+100fps). I agree with you about billboards - this is the only one solution at this time.
    This crowd fps problems followed me to consider MB1 models like possible performance bottleneck. 16 MB1 characters with many armors and materials shows 150fps(i7 6700k), which is satisfactorily for this development stage.
    I've downloaded UMA 2 and ran test scene and it has 380fps for 36 characters ! Really impressive!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Deleted User likes this.
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah. Ic. So you are actually getting some decent FPS. I thought it was a major issue for you. I'm sure it could be optimized further. 150 FPS isn't too bad. Will have to try with 50 chars.

13. hopeful

hopeful

Not sure if you saw this solution. It was developed for crowds.

Deleted User and justtime like this.
  14. justtime

justtime

I can't accept that 150 is decent, because it's without scripting(which can cost a lot), physics, post-effects, complex level geometry and it handles by top i7 CPU, which is not avarage. On my laptop i5 3310 it would be 20-30 fps.
    With 50 characters i have 30 fps.

15. justtime

justtime

Thanks a lot! Will try it soon.

16. l0cke

l0cke

But there is nothing wrong with your FPS. It is how it should be. Do what I told and if you want hundreds of characters, create billboards lods. It shoudnt be problem to create animated billboards from mesh models by code and use it as last LOD. You simply cant animate 500 mesh characters in frustum in high FPS rate.

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

The models and rig are average. Like I said it's not a final solution. I just provide the rigged and textured models. You'll have to figure out what best works for your situation.

For the games I've worked on, this is generally the format that was requested and used.

If you want more characters, you'll have to do less graphics or more optimizations.

Last game I worked on the models only used 1 diffuse map at 512 and were 2k polys.

You can also have options in your game for quality (high res low res etc) for people with slower cards.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2016
    TeagansDad and justtime like this.
  18. justtime

justtime

I must admit - this is great asset. I spend a day playing with it, tweak some weak script places (which gives + 200fps max without peaks) and get really impressive result. We no longer need billboards, because it handles ~500 charactres with animations in 360-700fps(most of time 630fps).Without geometry ~ 1200fps

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  19. hopeful

hopeful

Wonderful! :)

If you think your tweaks might help others, send them to the dev. IIRC, he's very receptive and is looking to make the best product.

(UPDATE: I see you did share your tweaks in his thread. :) )

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Very Nice.

21. l0cke

l0cke

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  22. Deleted User

Deleted User

F_Orc2 low poly normals wip:

F_Orc_lpwip1.png F_Orc_lpwip2.png

justtime likes this.
  23. Deleted User

Deleted User

Will have a look. The alpha channel should be there. Can you post a screen of the texture?

I will be adding a fem bandit. The order got a bit messed up due to some non-exclusives. Will add it soon.

The other Cleric in that pack is exclusive to that package.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2016
  24. l0cke

l0cke

Sorry, my mistake, I ve fixed that.

So it other Cleric is not part of RPG strarter kit? I thought both RPG starter kits contain all of these kits in full version.

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

The RPG starters contain a certain amount of sets ie. 27-29 plus an extra pack or two ie. facepack 2. I'll sometime throw in the monthly freebie later as well.

26. l0cke

l0cke

This is what I understand. But that other cleric is part of set, so I would expect, it will be also part of RPG starter, because RPG starter is collection of sets.

Btw, no dwarven female? Technically without both genders kit cant be used.

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

The RPG starter is separate from anything else on the store. It contains only the sets that it contains. (Not all sets).

The dwarves will have fem versions. That was a non-exclusive and got added early. I only had so much time then (working full time), so didn't do up the fems right away. Please bear with me while its sorted out. They should be done up soon.

28. l0cke

l0cke

I understand that it does not contain all sets and I am perfectly OK with that. But I was expecting, that sets which are inside are 1:1 with standalone sets (cleric inside RPG starter = stand alone cleric).
    You didnt write warning, that sets inside RPG starter are not updated in a way as standalone sets and can contain less pieces of equipment. I bought RPG starters only to have all sets in one purchase and download, because price is very similar to sum of all standalone sets (discount is quite low).
    If I knew, that sets inside RPG starter will be not updated in same ways as standalone and actually are little bit different in some cases (even if they have same name), I would buy stand alone. I feel little bit disappointed from this.

29. Teila

Teila

I did a little work on the female texture today and tried out the SSS part of the new Face Pack. I love it!

I made a little video but a warning if you are under 18. I did restrict the age since it shows nudity. I wasn't sure if Youtube would get mad if I didn't do that. lol It shows the texture with my modifications with the different rendering light settings.

I will post a link here instead of an embed.

Well, it embedded anyway! Hopefully Unity won't remove it. lol

TeagansDad, Deleted User and Jaimi like this.
  30. Teila

Teila

This looks fabulous! How are the details on the skinned meshes? Do you lose anything close up by using this? Are the animations smooth or jerky? I was told by someone else that the animations do not work well.

Could you show us a video? :)

31. l0cke

l0cke

Amazing. What modifications did you make?

32. Teila

Teila

@justb
    I tried putting the underwear from your body texture pack on these UMAs (see video above) but of course, since the underwear is an overlay the materials did not match. I changed the underwear to the SSS material and while it worked, the underwear are now black, instead of the nice texture color you had in the original.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I am not at all familiar with shaders...not sure you are either, but it could be a problem with other overlays too. Will the body hair work with the SSS textures? Or tattoos? I would want to be able to change the color on these.

Thanks.

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah. Ic. Sorry about that. Will send you a message about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2016
    l0cke likes this.
  34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Nipples!

Yeah. Totally forgot. Will have to add them.

TeagansDad, l0cke and Teila like this.
  35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi Teila. I'll get back to you on that tomorrow and let you know how to tweak.

Teila likes this.
  36. Teila

Teila

Too late!!! LOL

Deleted User likes this.
  37. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Teila Add the Fem body skinmask instead of metallic in the Body folder:

ScreenHunter_1543 Oct. 27 10.26.png

Teila likes this.
  38. Deleted User

Deleted User

39. Teila

Teila

Fabulously easy! Thanks, Will. :)

40. Teila

Teila

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes. The other one (SSS) is just for the update. (You have to upload 2 separate packs in order to have the update).

Price has been changed for Regular PBR version. Should be updated soon.

Teila likes this.
  42. Deleted User

Deleted User

F_Orc 2 pre-final:

ScreenHunter_1546 Oct. 27 14.58.png ScreenHunter_1545 Oct. 27 14.57.png ScreenHunter_1547 Oct. 27 14.59.png

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

Eyes:

Untitled-2.png

update:

Blended the fur a bit more:

ScreenHunter_1549 Oct. 27 16.17.png

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  44. Deleted User

Deleted User

Software renders and face animation test:

render_1.png render_2.png renderface_2.png renderface_1.png

45. Jaimi

Jaimi

Will - will these be compatible with your clothing, or will you be making some accessories for them?

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

They'll be a separate race. They'll have underwear and a set of armor.

47. Teila

Teila

These guys show off the SSS shaders well.

Deleted User and TeagansDad like this.
  48. Deleted User

Deleted User

Final plus morphs:

ScreenHunter_1555 Oct. 28 20.41.png ScreenHunter_1556 Oct. 28 20.42.png ScreenHunter_1557 Oct. 28 20.52.png ScreenHunter_1558 Oct. 28 20.52.png ScreenHunter_1560 Oct. 28 20.52.png

BackwoodsGaming and Jaimi like this.
  49. justtime

justtime

Justb, do UMA models allow to make some change in source model(cut arms, etc) file or UMA has constraints about it ?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  50. l0cke

l0cke

You cant change whatever you want, make new race, etc..