Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Making a dark fantasy role-playing game

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Ultimatium, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Ultimatium

Ultimatium

Im looking to make a game similar to diablo, but with mmo elements in it.

Is this possible with unity?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Yes, just like you asked back in October, it's still possible to create an isometric action RPG with Unity.

When you brought that thread back to life this month, you mentioned that the videos and tutorials you found online weren't helpful. Judging from the questions you asked there, you haven't really gone through the official Unity tutorials, even. I promise you, those are useful. They aren't focused on creating the exact game you have in mind, but they'll teach you how to use Unity, which is what you need to be focusing on right now. The Learn section in general has a on of other useful content as well. Examples on specific game type setup, recorded training sessions for more advanced concepts, etc.

To put it bluntly, if you can't figure out how to switch your editor from 2D to 3D mode and have that preference saved between sessions, you're not ready to make a Diablo-style game yet. Do the tutorials and get comfortable working with the tools before you try to really build something.

XiradGamer, Ryiah, jhocking and 2 others like this.
  3. Ultimatium

Ultimatium

I really dont see how creating a pinball game is going to help me, but i will give it a try i guess. I also found this tutorial after searching months that is actually helpful, with a link to free sprites which is perfect, the only problem is that unity refuses to open them for some reason.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Listen to @Schneider21, he's speaking truth.

Creating a pinball game will help you learn how to use Unity, and if you don't know how to use Unity, you can't possibly solve problems you'll run into.

As my AD&D DM (*) sometimes says, "you're not yet tall enough for this ride." You can't go for the dragon right away; you need to take on some lame goblins armed with nerf clubs first, and then some slightly bigger challenges, until you have finally leveled up your skills enough to tackle your real ambition.

(*) Dated reference lost on younger viewers!

XiradGamer, Ryiah, jhocking and 2 others like this.
  5. Schneider21

Schneider21

Eventually you're going to find yourself at a point where there are no tutorials in existence that show how to do something you want. Even if you just want to do things slightly different than the tutorial does, this could put you in a place where you don't know what direction to go. For people with original ideas that want to create something new, this is a constant occurrence. At those times, knowing how to program and use the IDE is more useful than having a guide for how to do a specific task.

What do you mean by that? Unity doesn't really refuse to open anything. If you import an asset, it's there. My bet is you don't understand enough about how sprites and textures are handled in Unity to utilize and configure them properly. Again, the official tutorials will teach you this and set you up to be able to do it successfully with your own content.

XiradGamer, Ryiah and TeagansDad like this.
  6. Ultimatium

Ultimatium

Alright, im going to start with the rogue tutorial.

So Im stuck already. The player animation speed doesnt change if I set it to 0.5.. clicking on tag doesnt seem to bring up the menu as shown in the video..

7. Schneider21

Schneider21

Beneath the game project tutorials are a bunch of themed ones. It may be useful for you to go through the Interface & Essentials set to find your way around the editor a bit better.

8. Ultimatium

Ultimatium

I watched the tags movie, but the button with tags doesnt appar in my version of unity.

9. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Perhaps it would help to post a screen shot.

Schneider21 likes this.
  10. Schneider21

Schneider21

Could you post a screenshot showing this button/dropdown to be missing? It's pretty much been the same since I started using Unity with 3.2.

11. Ryeath

Ryeath

I don't know your experience level, but if I might suggest Roll A Ball >> Space Shooter >> Rogue. Unless you already have a good grasp of C#, there are some pretty advanced things going on with the Rogue tutorial.

TeagansDad and JoeStrout like this.
  12. Ultimatium

Ultimatium

I solved it by updating to the latest version of unity, but i dont see a checkbox called "kinematic" that i can check with the rigidbody 2d menu.

13. DocJ

DocJ

"is kinematic" is no longer a checkbox. It's in the Body Type drop down menu. Has the word 'Dynamic' on the label.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    JoeStrout likes this.
  14. Ultimatium

Ultimatium

Old thread, but im still looking to make this game.

Im going to finish the rogue tutorial and see if i can make it.

Seems like nothing happens if i click on the assets store window.

P.S is diablo 2D or 3D?

JoeStrout likes this.
  15. methos5k

methos5k

JoeStrout likes this.
  16. Ultimatium

Ultimatium

Thanks, but im already doing a tutorial.

Only problem i have is that i cant seem to open the assets store window as the tutorial says.

17. methos5k

methos5k

Well, for me it's just "Window -> Asset store". :)
    Beyond that, I do not know.

I only mentioned that link as a suggestion, because (I think mentioned earlier in this thread, too), the order of the tutorials provided is more beginner friendly, as stepping stones. However, it's your choice. :)

18. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

When I started Unity a couple years ago... I had dreams of creating something like Skyrim-light. After going to college, I began to enjoy the 2D development more. I think your scale/scope is a little bit big for your experience. You will find something like that is going to take a lot of assets, and will probably never see the light of day. I began teaching myself sprite art because I knew I couldn't afford to have someone else do it. A small, fully fleshed out platformer can take a year or three to develop completely, especially if you're going at it alone.

I suggest starting with a simpler game. But to answer your question - yes it could be done in Unity handily. You can make movies in Unity. I have seen things made by Unity in recent music videos.

19. Ultimatium

Ultimatium

I dont know why you suggest me to start with a simpler game, when m already trying to make a rogue game using the tutorial. Anyway, im getting an error message saying unity msvcp100.dll missing when im trying to open unity.

20. Ryiah

Ryiah

I thought he did a good job of explaining it. Basically it comes down to the fact that every single game made with Unity uses the same game engine. After reading that sentence you're probably thinking "Well, duh, of course it uses the same game engine" but if you take a moment to think about it you might realize why it doesn't matter the game type.

To put it simply every game made with this game engine will have access to the same features regardless of whether you're trying to create a pinball game or a fantasy role playing game. Thus building a pinball game won't just teach you how to make a pinball game. It'll teach you how to make games in general.

Since we've touched on the choice of game to make, let's touch on the choice of making a simple one. If you've ever tried driving a car for the first time you might have noticed that you're almost always in a parking lot at the start. It's done that way because you don't want to go down a busy highway without knowing which pedal to push or how to signal to the other drivers that you're turning.

That same concept applies to a game engine. Until you're ready to remove the training wheels as it were you don't want to choose the most complex game possible. It's not that you couldn't do it but that working on a complex game means you have to focus on more than just learning the engine whereas a simple game allows you to focus almost exclusively on the engine itself.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    XiradGamer and JoeStrout like this.
  21. Ultimatium

Ultimatium

yes, i got it, thanks
    also i got unity to work again