Search Unity

Make Unity editor use different IDE/newest monodevelop (flatpak)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by MobiSlick, Apr 22, 2017.

1. MobiSlick

MobiSlick

Does anybody know of a way to get Unity to target the newest version of MonoDevelop installed with flatpak? or just use native monodevelop at all? I made a .sh script having flatpak launch MonoDevelop and targeted that in unity under the external ide field, and it works somewhat, it will open up monodevelop but will not open up the script I clicked in unity.

2. jazzpalms

jazzpalms

First, right-click on the script and change it's default type manager, such as gedit, or monodevelop. Next type gvfs-open example.csharp in terminal, and check if your default program opens that file. After that, go to Unity, and change the execution line to gvfs-open $(File) , or the EASY WAY. If your working on a project, just change how monodevelop starts, add a project .sln and open everytime, you will have to change project .sln for every project. Just point unity to the script such as flatpak run org.monodevelop, i don't remember, but at the end add your .sln and close. Or you can point unity to opt/monodevelop and have censoring and auto-complete.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    MobiSlick likes this.
  3. erwhann-rouge

erwhann-rouge

I launch both separately and tell MonoDevelop to open my project .sln. But to have autocompletion with the latest flatpak Monodevelop, I use the following command :
    flatpak run --filesystem=/opt:ro com.xamarin.MonoDevelop

4. GordonM

GordonM

This would be a good way to manage Unity as well, perhaps using flatpak would be the best solution as it runs on almost every distro.

Then they could also use their installer with flatpak to deploy unity editor and not have to worry about platform differences as much.