Search Unity

Maintainer

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by codestage, Mar 10, 2015.

1. codestage

codestage

Maintainer will help you keep your projects neat and clean with this 3-in-1 feature set:​
    • Issues Finder: find & fix problems and issues
    • References Finder: find assets references in whole project
    • Project Cleaner: clean garbage
    To know more about each module please read detailed descriptions below.

Issues Finder

This module allows you to find different issues within your Unity3D project, like missing scripts, unused components, and many more (see list below). Some of these issues can be fixed in one-by-one and batch mode.

What Issues Finder can find:

• Missing references through the whole project - both in objects and settings.
    • Shader compilation errors in all shader files
    Game Object Issues

Common
    • Missing components
    • Missing prefabs
    • Duplicate components
    • Inconsistent Terrain Data
    Neatness
    • Objects with unnamed layers
    • Objects with huge world positions (> 100k on any axis)
    2. Project Settings Issues
    • Duplicates in Tags and Layers

References Finder

This module allows to easily find assets references in scenes, prefabs, settings, in whole project!
    It's really easy to get started: just click one button or call one menu item or press one hotkey or just drag and drop desired assets on the tab to scan them.
    First scan caches data for the blazingly fast subsequent searches.
    Navigate through the whole dependency tree of any asset, jump to the references, search, filter, sort columns.​

Project Cleaner

This module allows to find different garbage, unused stuff in your project and clean it up with few clicks.
    Among regular garbage search and delete, this module also has optional auto cleanup of the empty folders on scripts reload (you may like this is you use VCS which do no sync empty folders e.g. GIT).

Common modules highlights:
    • Flexible filtering & ignores options
    • Easy and comfortable results navigation
    • Extra care for the corner cases
    • Public API to integrate into your pipeline
    • Results export to let you share them with your teammates (example), for some modules

Overall highlights
    • Full C# sources included
    • Works fine with .NET 4.6 and Assembly Definitions
    • Intuitive and easy to use, no additional knowledge required
    • Works everywhere where Unity works (even on Linux)
    • Supports both dark and bright skins
    Please, consider reading User Manual to get started.

Regular price: $30
    Or get in bundle for cheaper price!

Like it? Hate it? Leave a review at the Asset Store to help others to make a good choice.

Need support, have any questions, suggestions or any other feedback?
    Here are options for you:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    makaka-org likes this.
  2. sicga123

sicga123

Definitely got a sale here when this goes live.

codestage likes this.
  3. orb

orb

Original and useful!

codestage likes this.
  4. codestage

codestage

Thanks for your support guys, hope to send it for review this weekend, so I expect it to go live next week.

5. codestage

codestage

Made a short video about the Issues Finder module (best look in full screen at 1080p):

6. codestage

codestage

And it's finally live, woohoo!!
    Grab it here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/32199
    I should mention current price is introductory and will raise with some of upcoming updates (I have lot of plans and lot of new features will be introduced).

Please, don't be afraid of any bugs you'll encounter, just report them here and I'll do my best to fix them ASAP.
    I'll be glad to hear any suggestions, feature requests and your overall opinion - how Maintainer works for you? Is it yay / nay / meh?

7. VeTaL

VeTaL

Hi again,

I'm starting to be a fan of your packages - thanks for high-quality stuff :)

Maintainer works very fine, just wondering if it is possible to run it via the code? I'd like to include it to our CI process.

codestage likes this.
  8. codestage

codestage

Hey, @VeTaL !
    Thanks for your trust!

Actually you may run it via code, but you'll get Maintainer window opened in result. I guess you wish to get full report as result instead?

Please let me know if I'm right and I'll include it to my TODO!

9. OnePxl

OnePxl

That'd be a good feature to have!

10. codestage

codestage

Glad to hear, adding it to my roadmap! ^^

11. VeTaL

VeTaL

Definitely :)
    Json format would be perfect, but any other should work too.

12. imtrobin

imtrobin

Is there option to run to check current active scene only? My project big, I don't want to run through every scene.

codestage likes this.
  13. codestage

codestage

Hey, @imtrobin !
    Yeah, it's already done: https://twitter.com/dmitriy_focus/status/582695596546506752 but not released yet (going to be released with nearest update).
    Please, let me know if this is urgent need for you and send me your invoice via PM and I'll send you back current dev version with this feature.

Or you may filter only scenes in build and disable all scenes you need to skip in build settings.

14. imtrobin

imtrobin

No hurry, I can wait if its not too long since there's a workaround.

15. VeTaL

VeTaL

Used it several times, have some suggestions:
    1. It would be nice to have warnings when same script is used more than one time per prefab. Somehow, we managed to get 2 similar scripts on the same pref, so it would be nice to be warned about that.
    2. There are no errors if prefab structure is quite complicated and issue (missing script) is on the lowest level. I have a prefab (panel), inside there was another prefab (scroller) and inside there was a button (just another prefab) with missing script - i got editor realtime warnings, but Maintainer was silent.

codestage likes this.
  16. codestage

codestage

Hey, @VeTaL !
    Thanks, added both to my TODO \ CHECK lists.

17. codestage

codestage

Hey again, @VeTaL !
    Just in case you missed it, there is [DisallowMultipleComponent] attribute which will not allow your script to appear twice on same object.

And I just finished first prototype of duplicate component search: https://twitter.com/dmitriy_focus/status/593197673810960384

Thinking about deep option to compare all values of same components and skip duplicates with different fields values. It will slow down search for sure, thus it will be optional. And maybe not in the upcoming update.

18. codestage

codestage

@VeTaL regarding your second report - Maintainer currently skips all unchanged in-scene prefabs if prefab assets search is enabled (Prefab assets in Filtering options).
    I did it to avoid multiple reporting of the same error made in prefab. But you're right, in such case it will miss anything nested on 3+ level of prefab.

For now you may just disable Prefab assets filtering option and let Maintainer check all you in-scene prefabs.

I'll think how to deal with this (current ideas - skan all in-scenes prefabs and live with duplicate issues, or place each prefab in new scene and scan all deep nested objects in file prefabs this way, slowing overall prefabs scan performance, but reducing chance of duplicated issues in report).

19. VeTaL

VeTaL

Thanks, i didn't know about that. Though, i think ppl are too lazy to add it everywhere :)

Nice, cant wait trying it.

Well, i'd say in most cases people are using up to 5-7 different components per prefab. So in most cases fields values check would not be even started.
    Anyway, analytic has to take some time - thats what end user expects :)

As for me, duplicate issues are not that bad. If i have 2 object instances with similar child prefab which has some problems, basically, i have 2 issues (which can be fixed with 1 fix, though). I think, placing each prefab on the scene would take way longer.

codestage likes this.
  20. codestage

codestage

Version 1.1.0 is out!
    Some new features, lot of improvements and fixes were made for you, guys.
    This is the only beginning, I still have lot of stuff in my TODO! ^^

- Issues Finder:
    - new scene filtering mode: current scene only
    - new search option: Duplicate components
    - new Reset button added to let you quickly reset settings to defaults
    - new standard prefab icon added to the prefab assets records
    - now after search you return to the scene which was opened before search
    - now scene file is highlighted when you press "show" button
    - now all buttons for found issues are placed below issue description to avoid unnecessary scrolling
    - now all deep nested objects (level 2 and more) in instantiated prefabs are scanned as well
    - report header was re-worked a bit and now includes unity version
    - now Issues Finder may be called from user scripts, see "Using Maintainer from code" readme section
    - lot of tooltips added
    - attempt to fix rare Maintainer leakage
    - increased Unity 5 compatibility (deprecated API replaced)
    - scenes in build filtration optimizations
    - minor fixes and improvements
    - minor optimizations
    - minor refactorings​
    - Settings file is now re-created in case it was damaged and couldn't be read
    - Troubleshooting readme section was supplemented by new item about Debug Inspector mode
    - additions and fixes in readme

21. denlee0710

denlee0710

Hi Dmitriy,

Is there any way to filter based on the path of asset? Would like to not scan folders of some plugins.
    Also, using tk2d components such as tk2dSprite or tk2dStaticBatcher will cause "MeshFilter without mesh" and "Renderer without material" warnings; tk2d components rely on Mesh Filter and Mesh Renderer somehow and those cannot be removed. For now I just disable checking for those issues, but just want to bring it to your attention.

Thanks!

codestage likes this.
  22. codestage

codestage

Hey, @denlee0710 !
    No, currently there is no path filtering implemented, but it's on the top of TODO list alongwith other additional filtering and sorting options.

Regarding MeshFilters and Renderers - thanks for reporting, yeah, looks like it's a common case with some third-party plugins (2D Toolkit fills MashFilters at runtime as well), but I'm still not sure how to deal with such cases =\
    Any ideas are welcomed.

For now I think about some kind of ignore rules to let you specify masks for names\tags\layers for objects which may contain specially made empty components and skip all empty components checks on such objects. What do you think of this?

23. David Wagg

David Wagg

HI Dimitriy,

I just tried out Maintainer on my project, works well! I'm sure it'll become more useful as my project gets larger. One minor issue is with TextMesh Pro. It's still in beta so there's an array declared for future use:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [SerializeField]
    2. private TextMeshProFont[] m_fontAssetArray;
    3. ...
    4. m_fontAssetArray = new TextMeshProFont[16];
    Only the first element is used right now, so Maintainer generates a warning about the unused elements. That's great! But I get 15 warnings for each TextMesh Pro label in use (about 300 warnings in total). Bit overwhelming.

It would be better if one warning was generated for the script, or the duplicate warnings were grouped up and reported once. Is that possible? Obviously I can turn off that check, but would be better to keep it.

codestage likes this.
  24. codestage

codestage

Hey, @David Wagg !

Yeah, you're right, looks like it generates too much noise on empty array items. I'm definitely going to do something with this in future updates (current ideas - combine missing items, like "you have 15 empty array items" and / or filter out same errors on same components).

Thanks for your feedback!

25. David Wagg

David Wagg

Thanks, I'll look forward to those updates!

26. mgmhunt

mgmhunt

Thanks for the asset. Be good if Missing Components could some how indicate which Component is missing. I've seen attempts at this and there was some wiki script somewhere that suggested possible name matches, don't know how it got the info though. But if you could find that it would help narrow down what needs to be fixed. cheers

edit: found it http://daikonforge.com/forums/resources/fix-missing-scripts.3/

This guy has made a pretty good solution. Maybe it's enough, or you could incorporate his solution into yours somehow?

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    codestage likes this.
  27. codestage

codestage

Hey, @mgmhunt !

I did researched this question earlier and ended up this is can't be done in reliable way since I can't get the missing script name or path, only properties names it had.

But now I think I probably could make some kind on additional button "guess missing script" and perform heavy operations (look for all existing types and check their properties against known properties collection of the missing script) on demand. It will allow to not affect overall search performance.

Thanks for your feedback, resurrected this idea in my TODO.

28. mgmhunt

mgmhunt

yea cool. even exposing those missing properties in log would help. the above script doesn't help too much if script is not there (ie not imported for example, so all guesses are wrong) but showing the 'clues' would help a lot I'm thinking.

codestage likes this.
  29. Xtro

Xtro

Please see my review on the Asset Store page. Well, I'll paste it here.

Thank you for that amazing editor extension. Can you please add "ignore folder(s)" feature? Because I don't care about the problems in my 3rdParty folder.

30. codestage

codestage

Hey, @Xtro !

Thanks for pinging me here! Just answered there. Let me quote it below:
    Thanks for your feedback! And sure, this is one of the top TODO list features, going to implement it in upcoming updates.

denlee0710 likes this.
  31. dreasgrech

dreasgrech

Hi @Dmitriy Yukhanov,
    I noticed that the "Duplicate Components" option does not trigger when having multiple components of the same type on the same object which contain different Inspector values.

Is there a way to flag it so that these occurrences are detected by Maintainer?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  32. codestage

codestage

Hey, @dreasgrech!
    It was the initial idea, but I decided to make comparison more accurate and take inspector values into account, since it's a very common case when people use same component multiple times on the same object, but with different inspector values.

Now I see someone needs to detect same components no matter what inspector values are, so I'm going to add additional option to let you do it in future updates (added to the TODO).

Thanks for your feedback!

dreasgrech likes this.
  33. essimoon2

essimoon2

Hi Dmitriy, just discovered your tool and it looks like a really handy addition to any project with many scenes. We got a couple of 100 scenes and I'm already afraid of discovering how messy they probably are xD
    I'd like to buy a licences, seems definitely worth the money. Can you tell us a bit more about what additional features you have planned for the future?

34. codestage

codestage

Hey, @essimoon2 !
    Sorry for my late reply!

Thanks for your kind words and your interest.
    I have lot of plans for the future updates:
    - massive improvements to the issues finder (filtering, new issues and many more)
    - module - project cleaner
    - module - build reporter
    - other stuff, which will help you keep your project in a good shape

There are lots of interesting tasks in my TODO, and I'm going to move over it step-by-step with each update.
    Though I have no any ETAs to share yet. Now I'm busy with prepping AFPSCounter update (it's almost done, reached polishing stage) and hope to switch to Maintaner after that.

docsavage likes this.
  35. codestage

codestage

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

Just wish to let you know I'm working hard on next update and hope to release it in Jan'16.

Here is a little status write-up and teaser =)

- new module with basic functionality (with future long-term updates) - done
    - changes and improvements in the Issues Finder module:
    * improved filtration \ ignore options - done
    * settings outside the Assets folder - done
    * some new issues detection including new ProjectSettings section - done
    * support for the new SceneManager, you'll be able to scan all currently loaded scenes in multi scene setup - done
    * significant refactorings for additional flexibility and future updates - done
    * code cleanup and additional comments to let you easier understand it - done
    * move to the Plugins folder and Tools menu - done
    * bunch of other fixes and improvements - done

Update 31 Jan:
    PREPPING FOR RELEASE!

P.S. I'm going to raise a price with next update, I'll remind about this in twitter once again closer to the release date.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    bryantdrewjones and Xtro like this.
  36. Xtro

Xtro

I'm excited for tomorrow :)

37. codestage

codestage

What's going to happen tomorrow? %)

38. Xtro

Xtro

You know it :)

39. codestage

codestage

Hey everyone!

Upcoming update will bring new Project Cleaner module with super basic features so far: it will be able to find empty folders and empty scenes in your project.
    And it will have an option to automatically clean empty folders on each script reload.
    This is useful when you're working within large team using Version Control Systems like GIT and your teammates accidentally commit the .meta for removed folders, so Unity creates them again. You'll be able to configure automatic folders cleanup with optional ignores, commit maintainer with settings file to the repo and empty folders with corresponding .meta files will clean up for all your teammates automatically without any additional efforts.

Actually, this module already done and working in current dev version:

So you'll be able to try it yourself in next update.
    I'll add more nice features to this module in future updates (one of the top priorities - cleanup of unused assets).

Stay tuned, new update is almost done!

Xtro likes this.
  40. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

A number of warnings pop up after installing (and re-importing) the asset. They show up in either the IssuesFinder.cs script or the IssuesTab.cs warning. Am using 5.3.04f, which I'm assuming is the source of the warnings. I've listed two of them below.

Assets/CodeStage/Maintainer/Editor/Code/Issues/IssuesFinder.cs(107,64): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.EditorApplication.SaveCurrentSceneIfUserWantsTo()' is obsolete: `Use EditorSceneManager.SaveCurrentModifiedScenesIfUserWantsTo'

Assets/CodeStage/Maintainer/Editor/Code/Issues/IssuesFinder.cs(621,34): error CS0103: The name `EditorSceneManager' does not exist in the current context

41. codestage

codestage

Hey,
    Thanks for the heads up.
    This is a known issue due to the scene API update in 5.3 and already fixed in current dev version.
    Upcoming update will fix it.
    Feel free to PM me your invoice ID and I'll send you current dev version back if you don't wish to wait for the release.

Thanks!

42. codestage

codestage

Hey guys, I'm glad to let you know I'm finished all code changes in the Maintainer and moved to the Tests / Release prepare stage.

Currently tested on Linux and it works fine there, yey!

I'm a bit out of my own roadmap, and looks like release will not happen in January as I promised, but I'm making everything I can do to reach release as soon as possible.

If someone wish to get latest RC version right now - just drop me PM with your invoice and I'll ping you back with .unitypackage.

43. codestage

codestage

Woohoo!

Unity Asset Store package 'Maintainer - 1.2.0.0' has been submitted for review

Upcoming update going to raise the price, last chance to get Maintainer for the intro price!

docsavage likes this.
  44. docsavage

docsavage

It's live now. Look smart.

45. codestage

codestage

Hey,

yeah, Maintainer 1.2.0.0 is finally out, yey!

This update brings us:

Issues Finder improvements
    - new 7 search options (finds new 7 issues)
    - flexible ignores system (ignore paths, ignore components)
    - full support for the 5.3 SceneManager
    - extra corner cases care (e.g. smart ignores for some third-party assets)
    - lots of other improvements and fixes (see full changelog below)

New Project Cleaner preview module
    - finds and cleans empty folders and scenes so far
    - code basis prepared for the future updates (e.g. unused assets cleanup etc.)
    - some other things (see full changelog below)

Some overall improvements
    - external settings file
    - move to the Plugins folder
    - menu items move to the Tools menu
    - many other things (see full changelog below)

I'm going to release a new video demonstrating new features in action, keep an eye on the YouTube playlist.

Full changelog:

- Issues Finder:
    - new search option: Inconsistent Terrain Data
    - new search option: Sprite Renderer without sprite
    - new search option: Terrain Collider without Terrain Data
    - new search option: Audio Source without Audio Clip
    - new search option: Object with huge world position
    - new search option: Duplicate scenes in build
    - new search option: Duplicates in Tags and Layers settings
    - ignores system introduced:
    * path ignores (you may ignore assets by full or partial path)
    * components ignores (you may ignore specified components)
    * 3 ways to add to ignores: drag & drop, manual, from the results list​
    - added option for duplicate components search to ignore component values
    - added hide button to each issue to let you remove it from the list
    - Component's Local Identifier in file shown if necessary
    - added a button to clear search results
    - SceneManager APIs (introduced in Unity 5.3) are fully supported now
    - moved search results storage to the temporary location
    - improved output for missing \ empty array items
    - nicer assets paths output
    - more details in the final console log after scan
    - more details in the progress bar window
    - prefabs instances scan performance improved
    - simplified clipboard-management code
    - TextMeshPro* components added to ignores for empty array items search
    - TextMeshPro component added to ignores for empty MeshFilter search
    - 2D Toolkit components (tk2d*) added to ignores for empty MeshFilter search
    - fixed not all nested items of prefab assets were checked (thx Onur Er)
    - fixed incorrect behavior in few cases related to the multi scene editing
    - fixed possible data loss when performing search in new unsaved scene
    - fixed extra issue record for SpriteRenderers when they have no material
    - fixed duplicate Empty Layer issue when looking in both scenes and prefabs​
    - new module: Project Cleaner!
    - allows to find and clean selected items
    - finds empty folders
    * can find and clean empty folders automatically on each script reload​
    - finds empty scenes
    - optional delete to trash bin
    - has path ignores
    - preview version of module, will be improved a lot in future updates​
    - settings file moved to the ProjectSettings
    - all files moved to the Assets/Plugins folder
    - all menu items moved to the Tools > Code Stage > Maintainer
    - public settings API changed
    - minor improvements in reports
    - significant refactorings for additional flexibility and future updates
    - significant code cleanup
    - minimum window height increased to 500 px
    - spelling fixes in comments and docs

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  46. docsavage

docsavage

Hi @Dmitriy Yukhanov

This is a really top asset. Truly useful and not just a nice extra.

Thanks

doc

47. codestage

codestage

Hey, @docsavage

Thanks for your kind feedback!
    Next updates going to bring more, there are lots of great features ahead, stay tuned!

docsavage likes this.
  48. GamerPET

GamerPET

Hello,

I just added Maintainer to my project and I'm getting those 3 errors. They appeared right after I did this last upgrade.

Assets/Plugins/CodeStage/Maintainer/Editor/Code/Modules/RecordsBased/Issues/Records/BuildSettingsIssueRecord.cs(8,49): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `IssueRecord' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Any ideas?

49. codestage

codestage

Hey,

did you removed previous version before updating?

Try to completely remove Maintainer and re-import again.

And if it doesn't help try to import plugin into new project and see if it will produce same errors.

Please let me know your results.

50. mwgray

mwgray

Hello!

I recently updated from 1.0 to 1.2, and now I can no longer build my project. I'm receiving these errors:
    The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

I'm using Unity 5.1.1f1.