Search Unity

Made with Unity on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rustybroomhandle, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Hi everybody,

My current project is "Memory Metro" I'm currently using Ubuntu 16.04, Linux build of Unity3d and Google Cardboard to make my VR game.

The main concept of Memory Metro is to collect memory block archives that tell a story while navigating through low poly tron style environments in Google Cardboard. At least it kind of reminds me of Tron. Right now I'm working on the demo level and after that I'll see how many levels I want to create. This is also my first VR game and first time making a game from scratch in Unity3d and I'm enjoying it for sure!

If you want to follow development I'm posting dev blogs at b3nac.tumblr.com.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Odd-Redesign and Tak like this.
  2. Grosama

Grosama

Thanks Odd-Redesign ! Didn't have the time to work on our puzzle games the past 3 weeks.

We did some archviz in Unity with one of my company. Entirely build with Blender and Unity Linux 5.4.0 b14

We only used Windows 10 for UWP builds.

Odd-Redesign likes this.
  3. Odd-Redesign

Odd-Redesign

This looks really great and I love the music, but can you ellaborate a bit more what this is about?

And guys.. guys.. girls... It happened.
    Fumiko! has been greenlit!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=783068426

This will be my debut game and I'm so happy right now that I picked up Unity 4 years ago. Again, being able to work on Linux has highly accelerated my motivation and enjoyment making this game. Thank you Unity Devs for all the great work (as always).

On a sidenote, here's me messing with the A.I. system of the game after implementing the basics needed to copy yourself for a boss fight at the end.

4. Grosama

Grosama

Congrats !!

It's just a very classic virtual tour or architectural visualisation. Habitually, people do this whit UE4, but my clients need it to run on mobile device from iOS to Windows Phone. So we decided to use Unity. And we also made a VR for Google Cardboard but without reflections on the floor.

I know we can still improve our optimization to get 25% perfomance gain. This kind of project really help me to understand all the Unity graphic pipeline.

Odd-Redesign likes this.
  5. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

I've been using the Linux editor ever since the first version was released, and I guess it's time for me to share some of the work I did in it for my current project. :) It is a story-heavy first person horror(/fantasy) game which I've been working on for the past few years:

PS: Major thanks to everyone responsible for the port of the editor! It isn't free of issues, but I've had a pretty positive experience working with it so far.

Edit: Due to the changes Dropbox has made in regards to sharing public files, the screenshots are no longer visible. Sorry!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  6. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Damn, that is some impressive lighting... only it's a little too dark IMO. could be better in motion though, some games simply aren't done justice with mere screens.

LukaKotar likes this.
  7. u_rs

u_rs

How you all do it on Linux, there is 100% load CPU issue ?

8. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I only get a 40% CPU load on mine... but it does make the fans spin a bit faster than it should.
    That said, everything is very responsive and works practically straight away, so it may as well be a silent battery hog. :)
    That, and I think UT found the cause of it; I heard it was caused by one of their internal GUI update loops going haywire if everything was idle! :O

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  9. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Oh wow, how did I not see this in the thread before... O.O
    That looks amazing!

Musicapparatus likes this.
  10. Odd-Redesign

Odd-Redesign

By working on a multicore processor. The 100% CPU affected only one core of my previous FX4300. With a FX8350 octa-core the issue is basically not existing for me. On a desktop its generally less of an issue because only laptops will struggle with overheating.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  11. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

That, and my laptop does get a little warm, but it's fully responsive despite being under a bit of load from the bug. :)
    The only issue is the battery, and in such case, I tend to have that laptop plugged in all the time anyway.

12. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Hi everyone! My game Memory Metro is finally in a decent prototype stage and It's available for testing free at https://b3nac.itch.io/memory-metro.

Right now It's only built for andriod phones that work with Google Cardboard. I want to port it to other VR headsets later in the development process. If you test it out please let me know what bugs you find and any other quirks. Since I've been working on this with as much free time I can make I appreciate the feedback.

13. Odd-Redesign

Odd-Redesign

Pssst... it's happening!

Have I already stated that I thank all the people working on the Linux Editor so much for making development of this game more enjoyable for the last year. Although I have to admit.. That for the last few days I've been doing bugfixes on Windows because version 5.5.0p4 has no Linux version but contains a patch I needed. One that fixed that game builds crashed on several big particle systems in combination with prewarm. If you take a close look at the game.. that's pretty much 50% of the scenery. But aside from that it has been an honor to use the Linux Editor to make a full game and I'll happily still use it in the future. We'll see how it all plays out.

14. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

Well, this is not a game, but more like for games. I have been working on this for a bit, trying to achieve glitch less authoritative FPS controller using UNet. Still some GC allocations have to be sorted out, but it already seems to be ready for use.
    All done in Linux Editor, except the last few changes.

https://github.com/GreenByteSoftware/UNet-Controller

15. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Musicapparatus and Tak like this.
  16. Collateral-Studios

Collateral-Studios

Just a WIP

Tak likes this.
  17. _jp

_jp

Made at the Global Game Jam 2017, 3 out of the 4 programmers used Unity exclusively on Linux :D

Another game we made almost 100% on Linux:

fumangy, Tak, Odd-Redesign and 3 others like this.
  18. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Tak, Odd-Redesign and mosaic_school like this.
  19. wenderRondonia

wenderRondonia

20. FabioMen10

FabioMen10

21. or113

or113

22. anttipr

anttipr

23. Musicapparatus

Musicapparatus

Hello everyone,

I have more free time to work on Memory Metro now so stay tuned! Also all these projects look awesome. :D

24. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

I somehow overlooked this thread when I was working on Spamocalypse: Aftermath. It's a Thief-style first-person stealther which involves stealing a teapot from a museum inside a zombie spammer-infested city.

Here's the trailer.

Tak likes this.
  25. spacepluk

spacepluk

26. thiagofm33

thiagofm33

I was working on a Unity project on windows for a few months when I decided to take a break to test the linux version of the editor on my beloved Ubuntu. This simple android game is the result:

fumangy, Tak and frcaton like this.
  27. wenderRondonia

wenderRondonia

TPS on webgl with painting mechanics :D entirely made in linux, WIP Screenshot from 2017-04-19 19-35-21.png

Tak likes this.
  28. MobiSlick

MobiSlick

Attached Files:

29. plawler

plawler

Hi all,
    My name is Pete and I'm doing a bit of work with Secret Lab, who have written Yarn Spinner, an MIT Licensed interpreter for the Yarn language, written in C#. Yarn is a language that's designed to make it super easy to create interactive dialogue for games.

Although not designed to exclusively work with Unity, the sample projects are designed in Unity. Night In The Woods was produced using Yarn Spinner and Unity.

While the developers are using Unity on OSX, I'm exclusively using Linux (Debian Stretch) for documentation purposes, which means I get to play with Unity3D on an unsupported platform hooray (don't worry, I do have a a couple of supported OS's to use if I really need it ;) We also use Ubuntu on Travis for CI purposes.

I'll be hosting the Linux installer torrent as well as occasionally powering up Unity so as to better document Yarn Spinner. I look forward to following along the community's travels.

wenderRondonia and Tak like this.
  30. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I used to use Debian Stretch. Good for anything... except if it was upgraded, I found mine got a bit messy after upgrading from Jessie

I now use Ubuntu MATE 17.04 specifically for newest mesa I could get (17.0.4)

31. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

32. Charro

Charro

Hi all Linux and Unity fans !!

I have been doing this light strategy game during my free time for the last months and now is finally playable so I released it on itch.io with Android and Linux versions :

https://charro.itch.io/spain1940

My goals were :
    A) To prove practically that you can make a complete game using exclusively Linux as development platform. The game was developed using Linux Mint 17 and Unity editor for Linux, Gimp, Krita and Audiocity

B) To learn about game development and Unity itself. What better than making something that works and is playable

C) To have fun making a game with some notes of humour on it. I hope I have managed that, but humour is quite personal so maybe you wont think the same... :)

D) To publish all code and assets under an Open Source license. Im still working on this as I need to ensure it is clean enough and to check the license of the assets

Well, thats pretty much all, I hope you like It !! Just share your opinion, whatever it is, it will be welcome.

Here you have a screenshot:

Cheers

Miguel

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  33. pand3std

pand3std

Hi, I've just published an android game made entirely with Unity Editor on Linux (I use Linux Mint 17 KDE).
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pand3.studios.game.MySnakeAndLadder
    This is the first game that i've ever made, it's called 'My Snake & Ladder'. It is a 'snakes and ladders' game with some new rules and features. One main feature of the game is that you can build your own gameboard (As far as i know, there hasn't been a 'snakes and ladders' game with this feature before).
    Other features:

*Health Scoring System
    'My Snake & Ladder' employs a health scoring system, wherein each of the players and the tiles (the boxes from which the game-board is composed of) are colored with one of the six provided colors, so that whenever a player lands on a tile, the player’s health will be increased or decreased depending on whether the player’s color is in agreement with the tile’s color or not. If a player’s health score has been dropped to zero, the player will have to restart his journey back from the first tile again.

*Bonus and Trap Signs
    There are four type of 'bonus and trap' signs in 'My Snake & Ladder' game, each of which would give a different effect on the player that lands on it. They are;
    - 'Extra One Turn' sign, would bestow a player who lands on it with one extra turn.
    - 'Move Backward' sign, would make a player who begins his movement from this sign to move in backward direction.
    - 'Swap' sign, would make a player that lands on it to swap his position with another player which is randomly selected by the computer.
    - 'Punishment' sign, would require a player that lands on it to perform a punishment which is randomly chosen from a collection of punishment that you made in advance. There is a dedicated place in the game settings to create this collection of punishment.
    These four signs, along with the snake and ladder object, can be copied and placed anywhere you like on the gameboard.

You are very much welcomed to take a look and leave a comment if you may. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Tak likes this.
  34. pand3std

pand3std

Some screenshots of 'My Snake & Ladder' game:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  35. Charro

Charro

Hey, that looks very nice !! I'll try it

What did you use to make the graphics ?

36. pand3std

pand3std

Hi Charro, thanx for your nice comment :). As you may already know from within the 'Credits' section of the game, i used Inkscape and Blender to make all the graphics (Blender was used exclusively for the dice animation). I've aspired from the beginning of the project to use free (as in beer) stuffs only in my project (this is including the musics and sfx) to put an example for myself, at least, or to other people who aspired to become a game developer but have budget problems (like me, and perhaps like many other young people in my country), of what can be achieved with free stuffs that are already available before us (or in the internet). Linux is of course highly central in this endeavour.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  37. thiagomaia

thiagomaia

Hello
    I made a simple interface to learn how equations will affect a nbody simulation. It can be used to test the physics equations before use on the game.
    http://a00s.com/nbody/

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  38. DevLaTron

DevLaTron

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  39. Charro

Charro

Hi again everyone !

I just published the full game project in GitHub in case you're interested in checking it out:

https://github.com/charro/spain1940

As a strategy game, it makes an extensive use of the Unity GUI, so maybe it's useful for somebody looking for some simple examples about how to use it. Also, I was investigating a bit about Unit testing with the integrated NUnit tests so I think it can also be interesting in that way. I made simple tests for the AI using that.

I hope it helps somebody !

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Tak likes this.
  40. richard-kopelow

richard-kopelow

Hey all!

I just published a game to the Google Play Store and it was made entirely on Linux so I'm putting it here. It is a casual puzzle game where you spin sections of tiles to group all the tiles of the same color together. I would really appreciate y'all checking it out and, if you are feeling up to it, giving it a rating on the store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RichardKopelow.Spin

Cheers

Tak likes this.
  41. Solidcomer

Solidcomer

This is cool, but can I ask why you create this in Linux instead of Windows?

42. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

presumably because the Linux Editor is highly experimental, although rn it's a ton more stable than the first few builds.
    That, and some of us don't like usin Windows. So long as you have a proper video card, nothin wrong with OpenGL :)

43. cgprojects

cgprojects

This is a current game in WIP. The view is from the editor. I'll record it on a Android device soon but so the dialog can be heard and effects. Any recommendation of Game Assets that can be used. I made all the assets in Blender. It will be good to get a creative writer, female for for warning messages, and another unity developer.

Tak likes this.
  44. no_escher

no_escher

Don't you have version compatibility issues? I feel like when I went back and forth between windows and linux the GUI elements jumped around, so I decided I'd only use one OS per project if I could manage it.

45. DevLaTron

DevLaTron

Sorry for the late answer. Nope, very few to no issues. We're rather careful with who does what, and the versioning system sorts out the kinks. If you're careful, you won't get many conflicts.

46. AMVerona

AMVerona

Tak and RyeinGoddard like this.
  47. Shadow4Hire

Shadow4Hire

Will definitely do so! Which build version are you building this on?

48. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

mosaic_school and Tak like this.
  49. web2ajax

web2ajax

As long as UNITY does not run perfectly on Linux, it's going to suck!

I can not get UNITY in my debian, I want to use the 2017 version, I'll have to use version 5. Can anyone help? Why is the site only linked to Windows and Mac? Why are these guys so capitalist and idiots?
    Where do I send an email complaining, we will buy 20 PRO license, we will pay to use, but we want to use LINUX.

50. Deozaan

Deozaan

Let me see if I understand you correctly... You're complaining that Unity are "capitalist" but you're offering to pay them money to incentivize them to release a Linux version of the editor?

Good news for you, they've got a Linux version and it's free: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-on-linux-release-notes-and-known-issues.350256/

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    ma1onso likes this.