Search Unity

Made with Unity on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rustybroomhandle, Aug 27, 2015.

1. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I was just wondering if your game screen was showing hair, that's all. Still, it looks cool. :)

2. frcaton

frcaton

Tak likes this.
  3. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

With 5.3?! :eek:

Looks like I'll be trying 5.3 on linux now, that was the last nail in the "choosing whether to upgrade" coffin... :D

4. Odd-Redesign

Odd-Redesign

Thanks to your great work on unity3d for linux I'm still able to avoid windows for developing! Here's a timelapse video I made today - a new level that was made in blender, exported to .fbx and now brought to life in unity.

Thank you all for letting me create my game on an OS that is customized to my needs.

No coding in this video, but I still am very happy with vim & omnisharp. Never going back to monodevelop on windows again. (even if it's actually not too bad)

[edit] I want to mention that I had no crashes during this video and the only bug that happened was that the lighting menu could not be opened - I had to restart unity3d to make it work. But I'm still working with an older build.

Kaleval and Tak like this.
  5. i_am_kisly

i_am_kisly

lineage 2 port.Partly it made in the Linux version.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  6. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Guys, guys, guys! :D Some of these are awesome to see on Linux!

And speaking of which, I tried 5.3.1 on Linux... it's actually quite stable, I recommend it for those who aren't affected by the platform-wide 5.3 bugs. (A note too that some of those were apparently fixed in 5.3.1 anyway. :))

7. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

How do we update?

8. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

9. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

Gonna be straight with ya. I read that entire thread, EXCEPT "THE LATEST AVAILABLE BUILD WILL BE IN THE LAST POST ON THIS THREAD."

10. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

Besides the jumping game testing window, 5.3.1 is a great deal more stable. :p

11. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Jumping window? I didn't get that last time I used it.

Being that I'm almost finished a project, once that's done, I'll be looking at building a game in Linux to give the editor a REAL test. ;) (Thing is, I could have done my current project in Unity for Linux, only I'm targeting Windows 10 for that one... :D)

12. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

Yeah I have another thread here. The game renderer jumps down when you click "play" unless it's "maximize on play". It's only the renderer though far as I can tell, because the buttons and interaction are all still in the same place. I have another thread on this.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/during-play-testing-in-editor.382980/

13. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

That issue, I actually saw that; strangely doesn't happen to me, and I'm using XFCE too. maybe something in Linux Mint stuffs around with it?

14. Charro

Charro

Well, I use Linux Mint 17 with Gnome as environment and in my case the latest version to date (5.3.2) works pretty well out of the box.

15. t_w

t_w

Kaleval, ma1onso and Tak like this.
  16. _ash

_ash

I'm remaking my old 2D game in Unity on Debian.
    This is the terrain for level one so far :D
    Just a quick setup

And this is the main camera. Enemies would try to reach the top and the player has to defend it.

Opde, Kaleval, Tak and 2 others like this.
  17. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Wow, not looking too bad there. :) What are the blue dots in the trees?

LATE EDIT: Oh wait, they're gizmos... XD nvm.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  18. Alex_lemminG

Alex_lemminG

First game on Unity and first game on linux. Fully playable and available on GooglePlay.
    Btw source is available
    GooglePlay
    BitBucket Без имени-4.png

Rodolfo-Rubens, jjaone, Opde and 3 others like this.
  19. Althaj

Althaj

Opde and Tak like this.
  20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

New to BOTH Unity AND the Linux editor? That's a double accomplishment right there. :)

I may as well give this a try sometime. (Probably when I get home though, my tab's probably dead right now... XD)

21. Kaleval

Kaleval

Black Rose
    WIP classic style Noir themed detective game
    Made on both Ubuntu Gnome & win.

Weakly updates @BlackRoseGame

Tak, LukaKotar and superkid333 like this.
  22. superkid333

superkid333

Kaleval likes this.
  23. t_w

t_w

24. t_w

t_w

Add sound is better

25. Kaleval

Kaleval

Hmm... We haven’t thought about that...
    Glad you suggested that :)

26. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

May as well show off what I've been working on. It's only a university test level however, so don't expect anything too flashy. Funny part is, this game doesn't quite work right on windows DX11... :D

Also, game lacks a title atm, I haven't finalized my concept yet. Also, my Google drive hosts it, so this short clip will probably show a "processing video" message to begin with
    Video converted now.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2tqYgzg1_lWR095cnNaNVFxcWM/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Tak likes this.
  27. gnat

gnat

Vast majority of development taking place on Unity for Linux.

Unity Linux Team: Any UI crash fixes are much appreciated. This is a huge pain point for us currently.

Opde and Tak like this.
  28. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

noice. ;) And what kind of UI crashes? I don't get any atm. (Unless it's related to the SIGABRT problem caused by not including default UI shaders... :D I ran into that one again a while ago)

29. santiihoyos

santiihoyos

very nice! congratulations!

30. gnat

gnat

For anyone following this thread, the editor UI crashes have been solved as of 5.4.0b16 Build #2016050301

Amazingly stable Linux build !! Don't miss out !

31. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

A beta really stable? That sounds promising! :)
    I'll be staying off betas in general though, since I prefer to keep my Windows and Linux versions the same. (Both my OS partitions are on 5.3.4, so that's what I'm staying with until 5.4's full version comes out)

Either way though, good to hear it's fixed for you. :) As a side-note, my UI experience has been good so far! (Well, except for the AddComponent crash, but that hardly rears it's head now, I only got it once or twice)

EDIT: Quick question; does 5.4 finally allow users to select OpenGL Core? or is that still not fixed?

32. Tak

Tak

There's also a 5.3.4f1 build with #2016050301 containing the same fix. (Should also apply to AddComponent)

Both editions are still locked to legacy opengl for now.

33. letonai

letonai

34. Odd-Redesign

Odd-Redesign

@letonai: I'm not a fan of flappy bird, but I actually like the idea of a parody with a farting pig. I would recommend reworking the graphic assets, though. It could look fresher and more solid.

@gnat: Your game looks great! I wish I could start making VR stuff too. Looks so exciting!

@Kaleval: I really love the low-resolution 3D style. It reminds me of the old isometric games, where everything was made of pre-rendered 3D-Graphics.

Thanks to the lovely linux Editor, I'm now almost finished with chapter 2 of Fumiko! The Game. This means that a complete chapter of my game will have been made possible with this version of the editor.

This trailer contains several levels that are done completely on linux. Thanks again. Fyi, I use SimpleScreenRecorder with JACK to record video and audio while playing on openbox, to combine everything in Openshot 1.x.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Tak and LukaKotar like this.
  35. t_w

t_w

it is amazing, how do you make your scene this beautiful?

36. eztebangearvr

eztebangearvr

Tak likes this.
  37. Odd-Redesign

Odd-Redesign

Thank you! It's a combination of the level mesh itself, proper lighting (ambient light + a sun + a second, weaker sun that is an inverted version of the main sun), coloring with materials, some Post Processing (Bloom, Color Correction Curves and Anti Aliasing - All from the standard Post Processing Effect Scripts) and, one of the most important aspects - Big particle effects that aren't meant to be placed as small objects, but are part of the environment or background.

Some aspects of the creation process can be seen here:

@eztebangearvr: Do you have any recorded video or some screenshots? Cool to see more VR stuff happening in the linux editor.

38. eztebangearvr

eztebangearvr

The above picture is a screenshot i took from the Editor. And here is a video from an early version without hair physics that i captured from the editor without camera movement.

In the app you can move the camera freely around the dancers and watch them from any angle.

Opde and Odd-Redesign like this.
  39. ShaderBoy

ShaderBoy

Hey all!

So this is a bit different than the usual type of stuff that gets posted, but I just finished up a music video made solely in Ubuntu.

I also wrote up a blog post about the making of it on madewith.unity.com, and it became a staff pick!

Super excited to have the Linux editor. It's been really amazing so far - I haven't had a single crash or major bug. Unity had been my only reason to keep Windows around, and it's been really amazing to finally get to move away from a dual boot. Really grateful to @Tak and the rest of the team involved in making it.

mosaic_school, Tak and YucelBrendel like this.
  40. Tak

Tak

That's awesome, so glad to hear that was made on Linux!

YucelBrendel and ShaderBoy like this.
  41. malegretti

malegretti

Hi everyone! Posting to inform that our newest game, Super Button Soccer, has just been released on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/425300 !

The game was developed by a 3 person team, where 2 of them used the Windows and Mac editors, and one (myself) used only the Linux editor in the past 4 months. The latest Linux versions of the editor were very stable, and although we didn't use it for the production builds ( we always build final binaries on Mac here in the studio ), I must say that I didn't have any major problems by using the Linux editor in our pipeline!!!

Well, I also appreciate all the support and feedback we can get, and of course double hurrahs for everyone who buys the game... ;)

Cheers!

mosaic_school, Tak and ma1onso like this.
  42. Tak

Tak

43. oreyabak

oreyabak

Tak likes this.
  44. anttipr

anttipr

JeffLabonte and Tak like this.
  45. cgprojects

cgprojects

Hello,

I made a simple catch game with a narrative at. I used version 5.35 but will upgrade it to 5.4(I am having trouble adding 5.4.0p1) on the next update. It's still Alpha because I am trying to figure what bugs there are and what platforms. Additionally, I would love to add better visuals. While I get feedback.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.protocolsevenproductions.purelandad

Made in Linux(Unity 5.35) and Ubuntu 14.04, using Facebook and Gamespark SDK packages.

Vivienne

Tak likes this.
  46. Odd-Redesign

Odd-Redesign

I released a second demo for Fumiko! The Game that has been made with the Linux Editor. I haven't used the windows Editor for this game since you released the first Linux Editor Alpha. I can't say thank you enough every day.

If you want to download the demo, go directly to IndieDB:
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/fumiko-the-game/downloads

Or download on the game's main website:
    https://www.fumiko-game.com
    (There's a shared Dropbox folder for people who can't download on IndieDB)

Teaser for the Demo (warning, sound)

Also check out these videos:

Cloth Simulation

Particle System with Collision

Sorry for the long post, the forums don't let me post youtube links without embedding them automatically. Hope you enjoy!

Joe-Abd-Halim, Tak and mosaic_school like this.
  47. mutant_nz

mutant_nz

Tak likes this.
  48. mutant_nz

mutant_nz

Odd-Redesign, Joe-Abd-Halim and Tak like this.
  49. Grosama

Grosama

Hi guys !

I installed Linux 6 months ago. And I'm actually working on an unfinished project that we made with my team 4 years ago (Unity 3.5 ?). So i decided to port it to Linux. As our first project on Unity, the code is kind of a mess right now.

Screenshot from 2016-09-14 22-43-41.png Screenshot from 2016-09-14 22-45-51.png Screenshot from 2016-09-14 22-44-25.png

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  50. Odd-Redesign

Odd-Redesign

But it looks incredible! Very fresh low-poly assets you and your team have created there. Looks very interesting.