Search Unity

Mac App Store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moonjump, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Axel-F

Axel-F

My "Age of Tribes" is 'ready for sale' as well! Great! Thanks to Unity and this thread.

2. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

Zen of Clover was approved and is now "Ready for Sale".

3. bakno

bakno

Blast and Solitaire were approved. But Chess was rejected for the following reason...

It was signed and packaged as the others, so we don't know what is wrong here.

4. Tetrad

Tetrad

Just a little heads up for other people with the 3.x beta

I had a little helper method in my game that basically added an OnDestroy method to monobehaviours (quite useful for cleaning stuff up by the way) by simply replacing all my Destroy calls with a static method that broadcasted an "OnDestroy" message.

public static void DestroyGameObject( GameObject go )
    {
    go.BroadcastMessage( "OnDestroy", SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver );
    Object.Destroy( go );
    }

However, I was having some issues where this would cause Unity to hang. It took me a while to figure out why, and as it turns out OnDestroy is now a Monobehaviour method itself. This is a good thing as far as I'm concerned, but it did cause me some headache with trying to figure out why my stuff wasn't working (OnDestroy getting called twice when it shouldn't have been).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  5. JGeorge

JGeorge

@MantasP Sent you a PM reguarding Beta Build. Oh, and I forgot to ask, we are running Unity Pro and Unity iOS Advanced. Will this build work for that?

6. minevr

minevr

Mac store opened.....

7. dock

dock

I would love to know which Unity3D games are currently available. Is there a complete list of titles anywhere?
    It's a shame there's no web version of the Mac App Store, like Steam or even iTunes.

8. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

This build (3.x beta) should not be used for building iPhone applications.

9. JGeorge

JGeorge

@MantasP Thanks, did you get a chance to read my PM?

10. Tetrad

Tetrad

11. spacebuddy

spacebuddy

12. Lab013

Lab013

I'm quite curious as to how well your apps are doing on the app store.

13. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

Seems a bunch of us are doing rather OK. Smack Hockey is in the 60'ies in US top-100 + featured as staff favorite. So lets see tomorrow how that translates into $ :-D

14. ezone

ezone

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  15. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Wow very cool. Congrats guys!

16. Soundguy

Soundguy

Star Shipping was just rejected due to silly naming convention problems.
    I've changed the info.plist - but now application loader refuses to upload my app under the claim that
    "Your application must install to '/Applications'".
    As far as i know, using
    productbuild --component "Star Shipping Inc..app" "/Applications" --sign....
    should have done that.
    when i double click the .pkg file it indeed doesn't install it to my applicaions.
    i don't think i did anyhing different than in previous submits. can anyone help me figure out what i'm doing wrong?

17. Soundguy

Soundguy

wow, that error was due to a space and a . in the executable or bundle name. now i'm getting a whole new error.
    bad characther content for element XPath...

18. seon

seon

Yeah, the rankings are moving around a bit, which leads me to believe that the overall sales number are low enough that a few sales here and there can effect the top 50 ranks buy a few spots. I would *LOVE* to be proven wrong of course :)

Congrats to all devs that got their Unity games on the store for the opening day.

19. Chimp Studios

Chimp Studios

20. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

Yeah - all the shifting around also makes me think that actual sales are not going to make us rich over night. But lets see in a few hours when stats arrive!!!

Grats none the less to everyone

/Thomas

21. andererandre

andererandre

Are you guys also experiencing the issue that Unity forgets to launch in fullscreen mode even though you set "Screenmanager Is Fullscreen mode" to 1? I am using the Mac App Store beta build and even if I use the Unity launcher and check "fullscreen mode" he forgets it on the next startup and I have to check it again. It's pretty much impossible to start the application in fullscreen mode, my current workaround is to check for "resolution == max resolution" and set fullscreen mode manually on every startup, but that's just an ugly workaround.

22. azeitler

azeitler

I ran into the same issue. I came up with the following fix:
    Set the values of the screen manager manually via PlayerPrefs and then LOCK the PlayerPrefs file before quitting the app. That way you can write your own correct values and block unity from writing the wrong ones afterwards.
    This code uses BundleID which is a string-value of the Apps Bundle Identifier (in my case com.dopanic.productxy). This is used to get the path to the plist-File in which the PlayerPrefs are stored.

Here's the code:

Code (csharp):
    2. string SettingsDataPath = System.Environment.GetEnvironmentVariable("HOME") + "/Library/Preferences/" + BundleID + ".plist";
    3. PlayerPrefs.SetInt("Screenmanager Is Fullscreen mode", Screen.fullScreen ? 1 : 0);
    4. PlayerPrefs.SetInt("Screenmanager Resolution Height", Screen.height);
    5. PlayerPrefs.SetInt("Screenmanager Resolution Width", Screen.width);
    6. PlayerPrefs.SetInt("locked", 1); //just an additional value to distinguish unity-written settings from manual-written ones
    8. try {
    9.     System.IO.File.Open(SettingsDataPath, System.IO.FileMode.Open, System.IO.FileAccess.Read, System.IO.FileShare.None);
    10. }
    11. catch { }
    13. Application.Quit();
    Basically I call this in an OnApplicationQuit event (but I do some additional code magic to catch any CMD-Q-triggered Quit events, the code handling this is not included here).

This is one of the dirtiest workarounds I have ever done. But it does the trick.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  23. FINN

FINN

Hmm.. I've got 3.2 beta crashes when trying to open any scene. Before this it's normally opened and builded on 3.0 version, but game was rejected by Apple:
    Any thoughts?

24. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Please submit a bug report with your repro attached to it.
    Thanks!

25. FINN

FINN

Thanks for a quick reply - where can I do this?

26. andeeeee

andeeeee

Welcome to the forum, FINN!

You can launch the bug reporter from within Unity (menu: Help > Report A Bug).

27. FINN

FINN

Thanks, already submitted. It's very important for me now...

28. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Please post you bug number to accelerate the things..

29. Axel-F

Axel-F

Hi, it seems my second app got "lucky". It got rejected because writing to "~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log". It seems I'm the only one with this issue? I'm still using Unity 2.6 for this game.

30. FINN

FINN

Case 388220

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  31. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

FINN - dont post links to the bugtracker. Only case numbers.

Else everyone will be able to see your history of all bugs, potentially see confidential info like usernames or passwords that you send in the bug report etc.

/Thomas

32. FINN

FINN

Thanks Thomas for heads up.. Link removed:)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  33. Pekka

Pekka

Hello,

UnityPlayer fix (http://files.unity3d.com/jonas/UnityPlayer.zip) for Unity 2.6 users seems to be no longer available. Any hope to get the link repaired or is there new address for the file? Libmono dll link was still operational.
    Thanks.

34. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Fixed. Now it should be back on-line.

35. lesfundi

lesfundi

i have several apps ready to upload for the Macstore. I am on version 3.1. How could I get on the beta version?

36. Quietus2

Quietus2

There is another guy who did that the other day. I pm'd him letting him know his Unity Pro serial number was contained in one of his tickets. He hasn't read my pm yet. :(

37. andererandre

andererandre

I can haz link plx? :D :D :D

38. Aekar

Aekar

Thanks for the support with the beta build.

To help others with a few things:

Resources:
    - you must follow this blog for guidelines: http://technology.blurst.com/unity-games-and-mac-app-store/
    - you may also follow the official guidelines here: http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/documents/submitting.html
    - I myself did not have the "productbuild" command available, you have to download it here:
    http://developer.apple.com/devcente.../ios_sdk_4.2__final/application_tools_1.1.dmg

I had to replace the .icns icon file built with Unity with a 512x512 PNG picture, opened on the Mac and saved as the new ICNS with the right size and format.

I had to remove all external files accesses, and include them all in the .app package, in the Resources folder.
    It works.

But I had a day of nightmares, as I am still trying to upload the package to iTunes Connect.
    I need help here.

The last problem I am stuck with is:
    When adding the app with the Application Loader (step "verifying metadata", or so it seems), I have the error:

I wonder what this line 6 column 66 refers to.
    I wonder what this error might refer to.
    I wonder if one of you had this problem and may be of help.

I have tried to move the lines around in the Info.plist file, to see if this changes the error report (that is, provides another line for the error, etc), to no avail. I have of course checked all metadata and they seem to be adequate.

39. lesfundi

lesfundi

Can you explain a bit more about this?

So, this all works with Unity Beta and not unity 3.1? correct?

40. Aekar

Aekar

It works with the specific Unity Beta mentioned on page 7 of this topic.
    But I had to modify some of my program specifications.

My program is a game with many high resolution 2D GUI pictures, something Unity has a problem with if I have them all included in the Editor (eats too much memory). For this reason, my program works by integrating them dynamically in the code, with WWW and LoadImageIntoTexture, targeting an external folder where all the PNG picture files are. Having them into the Resources folder right from the start doesn't work as well as the Editor itself cannot hold the memory load, but the External folder and the dynamic accesses work on PC and Mac.

If I build the game, I have an .app file and the External folder where all the pictures are. The thing works well inside the game, but Apple requires us to use a single .app file, not an .app plus other files around. I had to find a solution to this to go on.

After some time delving around the issue I found that it can the solution to this is:

- Move all the files of the external folder into the /Content/Resources folder *inside* the .app file.
    - Change my WWW target so as to have something like "file://" + Application.dataPath + "/Resources/" + myFileURL

But I am still stuck with this thing:

When adding the app with the Application Loader (step "verifying metadata", or so it seems), I have the error:

41. Aekar

Aekar

I found what was the problem.
    Apple really needs to clear out its error messages.

Know then than:
    ERROR ITMS-4000

... is generated when you have a .pkg file with spaces in the name.
    You must remove all spaces from the name of your .pkg file.

42. voidmaystorm

voidmaystorm

Hi guys,

i finally managed to get my game ready for the mac app store and submitted on January 8th.

well, now its the 18th, and the game is still "waiting for review"???

how long did your games take to be approved?

any feedback or info welcome,

greetings from austria,
    thomas

43. lesfundi

lesfundi

are you all using the beta version of unity 3 for this to work?

44. voidmaystorm

voidmaystorm

hi fundi,

i used 2.6.1 with the fixed player, but the game is still waiting for review ;-/
    but the upload worked perfect, at least the application loader did not find any problems

greetings, thomas

45. spacebuddy

spacebuddy

On the apple forums, someone mentioned it could take up to 1 month to get reviewed.

I think apple needs to hire more peeps. :)

46. aerende

aerende

The build of my game that I made with Unity 3.2.0b3 for "PC and MAC standalone" shows first a Graphics Configuration Screen, on which I click "Play!" and then it shows the first menu screen, but when I start the game playing from the first menu screen, the display disappears. I can hear the game playing, but there is no display. The game works fine on iPhone and iPad.

I have "Windowed" checked on the Graphics Configuration Screen, but that doesn't seem to affect it. Has the screen moved off the Mac display? Is there something I can do to get the game to display on the Mac console?

47. Phil™

Phil™

Sorry if this has been answered before, but can someone tell me the correct path to write saved game data to now? I'm guessing Application.dataPath is in there somewhere, but not entirely sure and I can't find it on the Apple site either. Having said that, I haven't subscribed to the Mac developers group yet so perhaps that's why. Is it the same as the iPhone or what?

48. Jaun7707

Jaun7707

I hope so too, right now the only thing to do is use Steam which I hear is pretty good on new developers. Ill be moving there as well as the app store if I can do well with the iPhone first.

49. bakno

bakno

Hello Phil.

Unity's preferences load and save are well accepted by the store. And if you need to save further information Apple suggests to use ~/Library/Application Support/Your ID

50. kag

kag

RE: application Loader requires codesign and productbuild language to be used to sign and archive apps before being uploaded.

Will someone please give me precise info on how to access the codesign and productbuild commands.
    I know the language to use, but are the commands entered from within someplace in XCode, or from someplace else?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011